Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Honorary Doctorate Paco De Lucia   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Resources >> Page: [1] 2    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

flamencoguru

Honorary Doctorate Paco De Lucia 

Just letting you know that Paco De Lucia was given an honorary doctorate by the University of Cadiz.

Here are some links and photos of the event. It's in Spanish.

http://www.europasur.com/56584_ESN_HTML.htm

http://www.europasur.es/especiales/PortadaEuropa.pdf

Un saludo, Errol

P.S. In the last part of the article he says that he may relearn the Concierto de Aranjuez. He says that many orchestras have asked him to perform it all around the world. It would truely be interesting to see him play it live.

Errol Putigna
http://www.myspace.com/flamencoguru
http://www.youtube.com/flamencoguru
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 23 2007 16:08:09

Doitsujin

RE: Honorary Doctorate Paco De Lucia (in reply to flamencoguru

Whatever. I think its not right to give somebody an academic title for fun or as comercial....
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 24 2007 11:29:52

JBASHORUN

Well, if its an honorary PHD in "Flamenco studies" I think PDL would deserve it.

Jb

¡Si esto no está en compas, esto no es el Flamenco!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 24 2007 15:40:18

Thomas Whiteley

RE: Honorary Doctorate Paco De Lucia (in reply to Doitsujin

quote:

I think its not right to give somebody an academic title for fun or as comercial

I always have thought that an honorary doctorate was bestowed upon a person as means of recognition, for outstanding accomplishments in a specific field.

Perhaps it has no value to some. Juan Serrano was the first flamenco guitarist to receive such an honor, and PDL is the second.

In any case I am sure that the recipient has little choice in the matter, nor does it detract from the accomplishments of the individual.

Tom
http://home.comcast.net/~flamencoguitar/flamenco.html
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 24 2007 15:41:52

Doitsujin

Juan Serrano??? Ok... Its still one week before april,.. so please no too early april-jokes please.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 24 2007 22:12:52

flamencoguru

Doitsujin,

Tell us how you really feel. I'm sure you would not turn away an honorary doctorate for your accomplishments. I sure wouldn't.

Un saludo, Errol

P.S. Juan Serrano has done wonders for the academic world of flamenco.

Errol Putigna
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 25 2007 3:40:02

Doitsujin

Shure..If somebody would donate me a doctorate, I would take it happyly too. But I think a doctorate is a special thing and if you wanna get this honour, usually you have to do dozens of hard tests. Paco never did any tests, just tried to earn money. And hes lucky coz he is blessed with good technics and creativity. But thats alone not enough to get a doctorate.
Ok when I compare a science dr. with just a medicine one, its the same. Most of the medical dr´s just write something out of books and compare it. Thats not worth to get the dr. There are so many "joke-dr´s" who downrate the prestige of a doctor. And to give a guitarrist a dr. who never saw a university from inside, is just another joke.
Nothing against paco and what he effected in flamenco. But donateing a dr. is the false way. They could have given him a special award for his work, that would fit much better.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 25 2007 13:47:37

JBASHORUN

quote:

And to give a guitarrist a dr. who never saw a university from inside, is just another joke.

You don't have to go to uni to learn something. Sometimes people can learn something in life by themselves, that is just as high a qualification as any degree. I think Paco has a BETTER practical understanding of Flamenco through his experience than someone who has just studied the basic theory included in a university degree course on Flamenco. After all, a degree is usually only 3 years long, but Paco has been involved in Flamenco for most of his life! But that said, I think maybe a doctorate is not quite the right title... maybe an "honorary professorship" in MUSIC would have been more suitable.

Jb

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 25 2007 14:38:55

ykabban

quote:

But I think a doctorate is a special thing

Please........ there's you're problem right there. Three doctors in my family, soon to be four, nuttin' special at all....played out really.
It can be argued decisively that were it not for PDL, this forum wouldn't exist, and none of us would be subject to read you're meaningless and incessant dribble.
He's done more to advance the study indirectly than 500 doctors working in unison. Giving him an honarary doctorate is like giving a researcher a Home Depot gift certificate for finding "The Cure".
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 25 2007 21:20:18

koella

Oh my, this is gonna be a reprise of the old "Paco is God"thread.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 25 2007 21:33:50

ykabban

Nope...not my favorite guitarsit at all. Do like 'em a lot though .
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 25 2007 21:40:46

koella

Ah Jeez. This could have been a wonderful thread.
What will become of this forum with all that political correctness?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 25 2007 21:51:56

guitarbuddha

RE: Honorary Doctorate Paco De Lucia (in reply to koella

Paco is not god because God doesn't exist.

But if there was a god and he arrived on earth and played guitar then it would be like paco played before he met Al di Meola.

And be patient with young Doitsujin because when he grows up he is gonna achieve more than anyone in the world ever has before, as should be obvious from his fearsome intellect and extreme humility.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 25 2007 22:37:30

Doitsujin

quote:

with young Doitsujin

What do you mean with that?

To the posts above. Yes, as I said, there are many undeserved doctorats in the world. some people do it with cutting otter-balls into slices and watching it.... So there are doctors and clowns.

But to be fair to other pople too, lets donate a doctorate to some flamenco-guitarbuilders, coz their work is unique and every guitar like a masterpiece in knowledge and building-abilities. For example Reyes or Conde.

I think there is a need of a new thread where we should discuss why Paco is so outstanding, what makes him to this god-like player as he is, if there are now maybe other players who are better just a little later born, and things like that. Would be interesting, I missed the paco is god thread. :.(

To the question if Paco wouldnt have been there, another outstanding player would stand at his position now. The folk needs a hero. And if there is nobody, they search and find one.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 25 2007 23:08:42

flamencoguru

Doitsujin,

quote:

But I think a doctorate is a special thing and if you wanna get this honour, usually you have to do dozens of hard tests. Paco never did any tests, just tried to earn money.

I think you are confusing a doctorate and an honorary doctorate. I'm sure Paco is not claiming to be Einstein (remember that Einstein too never graduated from high school, But he was recognized for his works in physics and math). He is being recognized for the accomplishments that he has made in the flamenco world. It seems to me that you are having a difficult time accepting the fact that Paco has been given this award. Really..... it's no big deal. It has not changed my life...... I don't think it will change yours either.

Un saludo, Errol

Errol Putigna
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 26 2007 10:15:15

el ted

I'm pleased for him, and for flamenco.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 26 2007 11:17:40

Doitsujin

quote:

I think you are confusing a doctorate and an honorary doctorate.

Thank you for telling me. I really confused this. A honorary one fits very well on Paco.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 26 2007 17:41:30

[Deleted] (in reply to flamencoguru

[Deleted by Admins]

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 26 2007 18:43:46

Francisco

well said, Romerito
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 26 2007 22:52:17

jrabbani

RE: Honorary Doctorate Paco De Lucia (in reply to Guest

quote:

Anthropology that know book knowledge about a culture and that's it

as an anthropologist, i resent that
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 27 2007 0:32:25

branquito

RE: Honorary Doctorate Paco De Lucia (in reply to guitarbuddha

quote:

Paco is not god because God doesn't exist.

it does not mean that something does not exist just because you cant feel the presence of it
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 27 2007 1:07:21

branquito

quote:

I think there is a need of a new thread where we should discuss why Paco is so outstanding, what makes him to this god-like player as he is, if there are now maybe other players who are better just a little later born, and things like that. Would be interesting, I missed the paco is god thread. :.(

To the question if Paco wouldnt have been there, another outstanding player would stand at his position now. The folk needs a hero. And if there is nobody, they search and find one.

why he is outstanding.. well because sometimes on earth come people sent by God, to show the way for the others, so one Vicente or Gerardo wouldnt exist in that form if there wasnt one Paco, and "And hes lucky coz he is blessed with good technics and creativity", try to practice 12 hours a day and you will be blessed too..
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 27 2007 1:17:07

El Becko

quote:

remember that Einstein too never graduated from high school, But he was recognized for his works in physics and math

Well, this is what pupils say to their teachers when they have bad marks. In fact, he graduated from the Zurich polytechnic university, which is one the best in Europe...

Sorry, this post has nothing to do with what you guys discuss, but I just could not resist...
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 27 2007 10:44:15

koella

Well put El Becko. I think too that Einstein played a mean buleria.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 27 2007 10:59:10

Jon Boyes

RE: Honorary Doctorate Paco De Lucia (in reply to branquito

quote:

ORIGINAL: branquito
it does not mean that something does not exist just because you cant feel the presence of it

Kid, I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to make me believe there's one all-powerful force controlling everything. There's no mystical energy field that controls my destiny.

Spanish Guitarist in Devon, Cornwall and Somerset
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 27 2007 11:18:27

Florian

lol i love those titles, Alex Ferguson was knighted by the queen too and i am not sure but i think even Shoun Conery.

Its nice to be recognised I gues but Paco dosent need any doctorat from anyone if anything it almost offends me a litlle as a flamenco lover. If flamenco ever had a king Paco is it for me and almost every other flamenco, and hes been that a long time, people like me dont give 2 cents about titles like SIR and Phd, and DR.

the only people who recognise and care about this kind of titles are people who dont really care about flamenco. Is this soposse to flatter me ?? that my herro that has been like a god to me for all this years is all the sudden recognised by them ? Screw them and theyr WAY too LATE (is like DOH !! really ?? ) , non important yappy, kafelate drinking mof title

ps. I am only half serious, I hear on tuesday nights you get Half price at local Video hire store in Cadiz with a PHD, and free entry in all the Tablaos before 10pm

I got a Toyota Diploma once when i was 10 at Phisical Education class (true story , its in my Resume now ) for swimming and not drownind for too laps, I see if i can get 10% off video hire

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 27 2007 11:36:47

JBASHORUN

RE: Honorary Doctorate Paco De Lucia (in reply to Florian

quote:

I got a Toyota Diploma once when i was 10 at Phisical Education class (true story , its in my Resume now ) for swimming and not drownind for too laps,

While we're talking about qualifications, I have a BSC...

...that stands for "Bronze Swimming Certificate"!!!

Jb

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 27 2007 12:19:37

Florian

RE: Honorary Doctorate Paco De Lucia (in reply to JBASHORUN

U should come to Cadiz

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 27 2007 12:35:36

Arash

RE: Honorary Doctorate Paco De Lucia (in reply to Florian

For anyone who wants a doctorate , here is your chance

http://cgi.ebay.de/Ph-D-DOCTOR-OF-METAPHYSICS-DEGREE-DOCTORATE_W0QQitemZ170093698608QQcategoryZ1447QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD2VQQcmdZViewItem

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 27 2007 13:41:06

Arash

RE: Honorary Doctorate Paco De Lucia (in reply to Arash

Here is an interesting article about "honorary" doctorates:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/education/sunday_times_university_guide/article478501.ece

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 27 2007 13:56:07
Page:   [1] 2    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>Resources >> Page: [1] 2    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post