Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Female flamenco guitarist on stage!! Gala Flamenca - London   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Useful Stuff >>Events >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Romanza

Female flamenco guitarist on stage!!... 

Ok I have just got back from an amazing show - the finale of the London Flamenco Festival 2007 in London - Gala Flamenca de Andalucia. Anyway I couldn't believe it - one of the guitarists was female!! At first I thought it was just a really feminine and young looking guy but at the end she came to the front of the stage and - well there was no mistaking it really. But all the while I had a sneaking suspicion (I didn't have a programme) and was really studying her technique and force of playing to see if I could spot any difference between her and the 2nd guitarist. Anyway when I realised I was so surprised and pleased - this was the first show I've seen a female flamenco guitarist on stage and in a pretty major show too - and it really was a stunning show. The guitar was quite simple and very much in the background but yet definitely carried the whole thing (in my eyes!). Although the guitarists never once had the spotlight on them for the first time I managed to not only identify all the palos but also to understand how the dance and cante fit together with the guitar.
Anyway just had to share that! I don't have the programme at the minute but will find out who was in the ensemble and report back!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 4 2007 0:55:13

[Deleted] (in reply to Romanza

[Deleted by Admins]

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 4 2007 4:02:22

sara

RE: Female flamenco guitarist on sta... (in reply to Romanza

quote:

romerito: I'd like to see others

i swear there will be others in the near future.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 4 2007 7:11:20

Kate

Hi there, just popped by to see what's happening on the forum and saw this message. Would love to know who she was and the other guitarists as well. I've been reading all the reviews of this Miguel Marin Production in New York, Washington as well as London but they never mention the names of the guitarists. Did you see La Fuensanta dance? I dont know if she was included in the Gala night or not.

Kate

Emilio Maya Temple
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000CA6OBC
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/emiliomaya
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 4 2007 8:30:20

Romanza

Hi Kate. Yes Fuensanta / La Moneta did dance - a very aggressive alegrias! Also Isabel Bayon and my favourite Olga Pericet who also danced alegrias.
Have just found the programme online - also Joaquín Grillo, Manuel Liñan and Marco Flores who was my favourite bailador.
I left the programme in my friends car so will report back later on who the elusive guitarist was!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 4 2007 10:48:29

Florian

About time, theres brilliant female musiceans in almost any other instrument and genre no reason why not in this either.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 4 2007 12:40:22

Romanza

Ok I still do not have the programme but I have been doing some detective work on line and there is a female guitarist called Celia Morales who plays in a lot of shows. Anyone heard of her? I couldn't find a photo of her online so don't know if it was the same person playing in the 'Gala Flamenca', however I did find this interview with her. My Spanish is not great but I think the general jist is that she is lamenting the fact that female guitarists are viewed as a novelty in flamenco and that flamenco is not an issue of 'sex'. Maybe someone could shed a bit more light?
http://actualidad.terra.es/cultura/articulo/tocaora_lamenta_hable_mujer_guitarrista_1021347.htm
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 4 2007 17:14:12

Doitsujin

IMO flamenco guitar is a 100% male macho instrument and women are completely wrong in this genre.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 4 2007 17:46:19

legrec

Too bad we can't post pictures here, because on the cover of "Solea por medio, Solea por buleria" (Affedis book), there is a rather old picture with a young woman at the guitar...
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 4 2007 18:51:31

RobJe

Antonia Jimenez
Rob
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 4 2007 20:59:37

tomatita

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 4 2007 23:32:08

Doitsujin

Heres the wanted photo.
http://www.culturetravel.de/images/Venezuela22.jpg
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 5 2007 17:25:41

Jasmine_27

I've also heard of another guitarist named Maria Aldebarran, a gitana who performs with family members Maruja and Lucia Heredia. Has anyone ever seen her?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 26 2007 4:59:21
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Useful Stuff >>Events >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post