Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: Music Theory: Why?   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   5 6 [7] 8 9    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

estebanana

RE: Music Theory: Why? (in reply to Sr. Martins

quote:

Do you really consider your other contributions to this thread to be something helpful to the original debate?

My favorite rhetorical style is to fire a shot over the bow or say something I may or may not believe in myself, then argue the point from both sides for a while and then end with the side I most favor.

This style of argument or critique is common, but today often misunderstood as combative or adversarial. It's a rhetorical device used a lot in philosophy and literature and art criticism. I like a writer called Peter Scheldahl who used to write art criticism for the NY paper Village Voice, he is a master of this rhetorical device. And so is another art critic who is well known, Robert Hughes. Many people write this way.

Scheldahl might begin a piece by saying how much he loves a certain work of art or artist and then turn around and say well, that is not exactly how I feel and then lower the boom and say something more tough. Then he might change his mind again and wrap it up by saying he really likes it and brings out a final reason which gives redemption beyond doubt to the first opinion.

It's just the consequence of having a complex mind, which we all do. And we all, I hope, enjoy a back and forth debate, only some debaters argue both sides while arguing their own side. One advantage to this tactic is that it confuses the other side. Unless the other side is doing the same thing. It serves to create a more interesting and vigorous debate.
In my opinion.

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 1 2015 13:19:49

Ricardo

RE: Music Theory: Why? (in reply to estebanana

quote:

Flamenco is a formal system of music with its own logic and formats distinct from other musics, but like all music based mostly in a Western music practice it has common harmony structures that are idiomatic to guitar playing! In other words the chords, chord shapes and scalar materials that classical guitar composers used are for the most part the same as what is used in Flamenco as a basic musical foundation. And Jazz as an extension of Western harmony utilizes the same rules and elaborates on certain parts of harmonic development.

True, for a percentage of flamenco music forms. Unfortunately, a HUGE percentage of flamenco has EASTERN ELEMENTS, which absolutely do not jive with western methods of analysis, and therefore, you have the fundamental communication break down I described earlier. It's like trying to discuss the world of quarks and leptons using classical newtonian physics or even Einstein's theories. At a point, it just breaks down and totally DIFFERENT description is required.

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 2 2015 14:24:35

Kevin

RE: Music Theory: Why? (in reply to Ricardo

quote:

a HUGE percentage of flamenco has EASTERN ELEMENTS

quote:

At a point, it just breaks down and totally DIFFERENT description is required.

Whether you are studying history or music theory, or learning to play the guitar, you begin with simple and move to advanced, from particular to general, from concrete to abstract (and back to concrete). The problem is comments like these assume a ready made system in the present that does not account for its historical evolution.

Flamenco in 1895 was relatively simple. The early players/accompanists used very basic chords and played for the most part "a cuerda pelá." The short melodies were played with the thumb and were (for the most part) diatonic. Western music theory (if one so chooses to utilize it) explains this early flamenco very well. Most of the non-chord tones can be explained as either ostinatos (not drones imo) or decorative notes arising from the limitation of the guitar (AND THE EARLY players).

Ramon Montoya introduced some cool relations and a broader understanding of the possibilities of the guitar. Then Paco really furthered its possibilities by incorporating advanced harmonies. What had been mostly diatonic material gets treated to progressively chromatic instantiations of diatonic conventions.

Taking an approach that is historical and recognizing that you can't account for all the possibilities of the flamenco guitar in one lesson, it is possible to use Western theory as a BEGINNING point. If you compare flamenco with early Baroque guitar the similarities are overwhelming. The Andalusian Cadence is encountered in both. Strumming emerges in Baroque guitar (or perhaps even in Renaissance as Estebanana pointed out in another thread long ago). What is different is a matter of convention but the materials are strikingly similar. It's like giving two cultures the same bricks, mortar and other materials. They will come up with different edifices. The materials are the same. Then one culture decorates its interior according to its taste.

I concede that utilizing Western theory is problematic, BUT it is not impossible. Do you use scale-chord theory a la Rameau, or Function theory a la Riemann, a combination? It all depends on whether you value musical analysis and theory. It also depends on whether you are culturally sensitive and are aware of multiple problems arising in using Western theory. AND, it is important, at least to me that any theory be BOTH 1) practical (it arises with analytical engagement with real composers and music, and 2) aware of the social/cultural/historical contexts in which flamenco compositional practices emerge.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 2 2015 18:59:07

guitarbuddha

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricardo

True, for a percentage of flamenco music forms. Unfortunately, a HUGE percentage of flamenco has EASTERN ELEMENTS, which absolutely do not jive with western methods of analysis, and therefore, you have the fundamental communication break down I described earlier. It's like trying to discuss the world of quarks and leptons using classical newtonian physics or even Einstein's theories. At a point, it just breaks down and totally DIFFERENT description is required.

I don't see it like that for me it is more like this.

You want to study Spanish and notice that there are both Latin and Arabic aspects to the language. You can study the elements of one two or all three. And this will be as interesting as your industry and imagination and taste for history allow it to be.

If you want to decide whether Spanish is Latin or Arabic then you can do that too. It may not be that helpful or objective but it is fine. But maybe you shouldn't presume that anyone else in particular has saddled themselves with the opposite position as they may not actually find it very interesting or useful to either choose between two useful systems except on a case by case basis.

D.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 2 2015 19:53:10

flyhere

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Feb. 21 2015 22:55:57
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 2 2015 20:52:17

Kevin

RE: Music Theory: Why? (in reply to flyhere

quote:

it does help me understanding more quickly what the teacher says and also helps me retain things a bit more.

Bingo

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 2 2015 22:34:44

flyhere

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Feb. 21 2015 22:55:37
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 2 2015 23:01:01

Kevin

RE: Music Theory: Why? (in reply to flyhere

quote:

Just have to know where to draw the line.

So true. And understand that everyone's line is different. Some people here don't understand that.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 2 2015 23:04:55

guitarbuddha

RE: Music Theory: Why? (in reply to Kevin

I thought of this, I don't know why but it is one of my favourite sketches.

The line I like comes at 2.41 but don't cheat yourselves by jumping ahead.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 2 2015 23:10:02

flyhere

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Feb. 21 2015 22:55:08
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 2 2015 23:19:19

Sr. Martins

RE: Music Theory: Why? (in reply to estebanana

You need to know theory in order to get the results that your understanding of theory will give you.

You don't need to know theory to get the results from not knowing theory.

By not knowing theory, you'll certainly fail miserably at attempting to produce musical parts based on the exploration of theory.

If you really understand theory, there's no reason for it to be an obstacle to your guitar/flamenco playing.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 2 2015 23:33:30

Kevin

quote:

You need to know theory in order to get the results that your understanding of theory will give you.

You don't need to know theory to get the results from not knowing theory.

Well put!

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 2 2015 23:37:50

Ricardo

quote:

If you really understand theory, there's no reason for it to be an obstacle to your guitar/flamenco playing.

In my experience, knowing the neck quite well often inhibited certain details of getting the proper fingering and postions etc when transcribing by ear. I see it in other players hands when I watch them play as well. Again it is more about discipline than theory, but theory is utlimately tied to western musics interms of guitar, styles such as classical, jazz, or rock etc. Bringing that bagagge into flamenco class often means "unlearning" lots of habbits. Having to unlearn something is a pretty tough obstacle IMO. Even fretting basic flamenco chords fast and proper can be a pain for seasoned players that know there stuff based on other styles.

Ricardo

www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 3 2015 4:12:48

Ricardo

quote:

Flamenco in 1895 was relatively simple. The early players/accompanists used very basic chords and played for the most part "a cuerda pelá." The short melodies were played with the thumb and were (for the most part) diatonic. Western music theory (if one so chooses to utilize it) explains this early flamenco very well. Most of the non-chord tones can be explained as either ostinatos (not drones imo) or decorative notes arising from the limitation of the guitar (AND THE EARLY players).

Well, the oldest recordings of flamenco I have heard (1909) where pretty sophisticated guitar and cante wise. For the record the Malagueñas were the same as is done today. I think analyzing those old Malagueñas and cantes de La Mina with basic major or minor tonal theory concept is just plain wrong (start and end on a III chord? or is it the V7 of vi then?). Just the falsetas require the understanding of phrygian as tonic before getting into the tricky secondary dominants of the voice and guitar interplay, which was quite ornate despite the basic underlying fandango form. Infact just that..."fandango form", flies in the face directly with tonal harmony theory, and shows us the direct east/west hybrid concept at work...and it's like super old and basic, ie fundamental. Why not just dive right in then and say flamenco at it's heart and most basic, needs some new concepts for theoretical analysis?

www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 3 2015 4:27:08

Sr. Martins

quote:

Why not just dive right in then and say flamenco at it's heart and most basic, needs some new concepts for theoretical analysis?

Isn't that what has been happening since the "birth of theory"?

Not that long ago, key signatures would only mean major "this" or minor "that", nowadays the key signature doesn't always reflect that and even made up non-diatonic key signatures are used.

I don't think we need more concepts, what we need is to be a bit more pragmatic and stop trying to analyse one genre based on the premises of another genre.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 3 2015 16:58:46

Ricardo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sr. Martins

quote:

Why not just dive right in then and say flamenco at it's heart and most basic, needs some new concepts for theoretical analysis?

Isn't that what has been happening since the "birth of theory"?

Not that long ago, key signatures would only mean major "this" or minor "that", nowadays the key signature doesn't always reflect that and even made up non-diatonic key signatures are used.

I don't think we need more concepts, what we need is to be a bit more pragmatic and stop trying to analyse one genre based on the premises of another genre.

Correct, though you are talking about non classical music I think... infact in jazz they do away with key sig at all and write accidentals all over the freakin place. But, yes I agree "stop trying to analyze....", and said it earlier. BUT... since you quoted me, I was specifically infering that IF YOU ARE GONNA DO IT ANYWAY....that being what Kevin was saying about analyzing old flamenco, then I think we need a new system from the get go.

www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 3 2015 17:11:13

Sr. Martins

Yes, Iam talking about music in general since the monophonic times

Given the true question on this thread, I feel that in order to clarify the matter at hand we should see beyond any particular genre.

The materials found within flamenco (triads, diatonic movements, etc) are perfectly relatable to western theory but if you want to fit it into barroque/classical "stylistical dogmas"... obviously it won't fit.

I think of A as I and sometimes as V, depends on the context... but thinking of it as III as never served any purpose for me. Even if I don't think of it as III, because I understand western theory I can relate to what you're saying, that's the beauty and usefulness of the thing.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 3 2015 17:19:56

guitarbuddha

Hi Sr Martins.

This thread seems to be back online.

I admit I often think of A(key F) as a three chord. Usually when it is involved in delivering the six chord.

Ie the opening of All of Me. ( F A7 D7 Gm two bars a piece) Note that although the D in this progression is a D7 the A7 should be altered as the chords built diatonically D and G in the key of F are 'expected' to be minor.

Radioheads Creep uses III7 also as does All I Need is the Air That You Breathe which it rips off. Both follow the usage of the following (blues is buried deep in pop music).

III7 comes up a lot in blues. Ie Freight Train where it approaches the IV (key C, E7 to F6) and all the time in gospel and sould where this 'lego brick is common' I III IV V.

You just gotta find the rules for each style, in the spirit of continued discovery.

D.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 3 2015 17:33:52

Sr. Martins

RE: Music Theory: Why? (in reply to guitarbuddha

Creep is a good example of this "device" which is to keep a general diatonic chord progression but change the position (root) of one of the chords or the "sex" (major to minor, minor to major). It's something that brings color but doesn't imply a new home (I or i).

It wouldn't make sense to think of that III as a I but it makes sense if we're talking about flamenco...again, context.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 3 2015 17:45:29

Paul Magnussen

quote:

Just the falsetas require the understanding of phrygian as tonic before getting into the tricky secondary dominants of the voice and guitar interplay, which was quite ornate despite the basic underlying fandango form. Infact just that..."fandango form", flies in the face directly with tonal harmony theory

This seems to me, if not a mis-statement, then a misdirection.

Modes, include the Phrygian, were understood perfectly well by Renaissance musicians such as Thomas Tallis, and by folk musicians without, of course, a formal musical education.

As far as I can see, the disaster struck some time in the 19th century (or at any rate after the major and minor scales had coagulated), when everything before (say) Haydn was dismissed as primitive stuff not worth bothering about.

Bert “A.L.” Lloyd (in Folk Song in England,) quotes some classical musician as asking how folk-singers can possibly be using modes, when even the best classical musicians know nothing about them.

The question, of course, reveals more about the education of classical musicians of that time than it does about folk-singers; and the subsequent revival of interest doesn’t seem to have been enough to repair the damage.

Of course, there were composers such as Bartok and Vaughan Williams who loved both Folk Music and Early Music (as evinced by the latter’s Fantasia on a Theme of Thomas Tallis).

But they don’t seem to have been writing the textbooks, in 1910 at any rate.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 3 2015 19:23:09

Sr. Martins

RE: Music Theory: Why? (in reply to Paul Magnussen

Modes can represent more than one thing depending on the era.

The modes weren't just simple inversions of a diatonic scale. There was a time when we didn't have the equal division of the octave and notes would sound different depending on the mode or the tonic (while keeping the mode).
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 3 2015 19:29:42

Ricardo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sr. Martins

Creep is a good example of this "device" which is to keep a general diatonic chord progression but change the position (root) of one of the chords or the "sex" (major to minor, minor to major). It's something that brings color but doesn't imply a new home (I or i).

It wouldn't make sense to think of that III as a I but it makes sense if we're talking about flamenco...again, context.

Well, more than context, if a pop song used the fandango form it still is quite different. Creep is normal western tonal harmonic function....it's not III, it's V of vi, meaning it's a normal progression with a deceptive cadence....went to C instead of E minor...then the Cm-G is the plagel cadence or something, where the IV-I has the iv borrowed from parallel minor. It's in classical music too. What happens in flamenco is more than just a different genre....I mean the way you analyze the progression has to take into account the special resolution. If you take A (por medio as tonic), then the singing part is relative major modulation (F major)...so it is not so simple as to say Fandango is simply: V-I-IV-V-I-V-I-IV...then III or V of vi... it does not make musical sense, and further it is not what happens in famenco...there is pull back to the phrygian and it is expressed by the set up before the singing (by guitar intro), and the resolution drama.

One could simply reorganize the roman numerals to reflect phrygian tonic, and you end up with a huge mess of secondary dominants over complicating the matter, though it is much closer to the intent. The similar issues arise when notating compas of bulerias...there are too many different ways we have seen it and they can't all be "right", yet they somehow ARE. Hope that makes sense.

www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 3 2015 20:35:04

Ricardo

RE: Music Theory: Why? (in reply to Paul Magnussen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Paul Magnussen

quote:

Just the falsetas require the understanding of phrygian as tonic before getting into the tricky secondary dominants of the voice and guitar interplay, which was quite ornate despite the basic underlying fandango form. Infact just that..."fandango form", flies in the face directly with tonal harmony theory

This seems to me, if not a mis-statement, then a misdirection.

Modes, include the Phrygian, were understood perfectly well by Renaissance musicians such as Thomas Tallis, and by folk musicians without, of course, a formal musical education.

Sorry about that, I guess it would be if by "phrygian tonic" I had meant either the mode of natural phrygian or phrygian dominant...but I specifically meant phrygian KEY as tonic. Meaning in addition to major or minor we need phrygian KEY which utilizes the entire chromatic pallet like it's relatives. A single mode is different concept and I did not mean that when I used the term "phrygian".

Also what sr Martins said above about modes having different meaning at different times, I agree and go further, it is about the TUNING system used by which ever genre or instrument, regardless of the epoch.

Ricardo

www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 3 2015 20:43:43

Sr. Martins

quote:

there are too many different ways we have seen it and they can't all be "right", yet they somehow ARE. Hope that makes sense.

That's my point.

You only have right or wrong if you need to meet expectations (getting a degree or communicating with musicians of a particular genre). Everything should be contextualized in order to be useful.. and to be useful, one should organize his theoretical thoughts based on his own experience as a musician/listener. If a III means "exactly that sound/movement" to you, you could even call it "green" or "funny degree"... much better than getting yourself trapped into theoretical gibberish that has no meaning to you.

All theories are right for me and I believe people hear things differently so.. there are many variables.

The only need for unified theory would be at institutions or to communicate with other musicians... and again, if you know how theory works you'll understand other points of view pretty quick.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 3 2015 20:50:47

Ricardo

I agree, and only add that I am open to all kinds of systems and terminology, so long as there is some consistency. Unfortunately I see a lot of contradictory concepts which often lead to confusion.

www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 3 2015 21:00:34

Sr. Martins

quote:

I agree, and only add that I am open to all kinds of systems and terminology, so long as there is some consistency. Unfortunately I see a lot of contradictory concepts which often lead to confusion.

There are a few good reads out there (20th century "something" bla bla bla book) that put your perspective right where it should be from a neutral standpoint of bringing you awareness to the tools in use from different eras till today without implying any "right or wrong".

Listening to stuff like what comes up on the online radio "second inversion" and the podcasts "relevant tones" & "meet the composer" always helps to clean your ears and your brain.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 3 2015 21:07:10

Kevin

quote:

I see a lot of contradictory concepts which often lead to confusion.

Hi Ricardo. What exactly would those be?

I find your Fandangos conclusions to be contradictory. Lola Fernandez and many others have written on what they call the bitonality of flamenco. The "song" (at least in some variants) is in C while the interludes are in Eph. Her problem is that she still sees flamenco as modal, so the fandangos "song" is tonal but cadences modally. I tend to agree with her more than you but still find problems with her conclusion. For me, Fandangos is tonal and just tonicizes C for the letra. (there are other possibilities of course, A major in Almonaster?)

Hudson wrote some cool stuff on the Chacon and Passacale (passacaglio). The chacon was a dance, the pasacalle was a number of "chord row" (we would say chord progression now) possibilities that the guitarist had their chance to improvise on. 1596. Sound familiar. These pasacalles could be used as warmups between chacon and other dances, they could be used as interludes between verses, they could be used to check the tuning. This Spanish dance and variation set got picked up by the Italians (mantua[I think] was a Spanish colony around 1600) and spread north where Frescobaldi and evenually Bach worked out more interesting contrapuntal versions. However, other dances remained, including fandangos.

Flamenco is in Phrygian tonality. I have said this a million times. It differs in two major way from classical music (I am speaking only about guitar). First, in its primary cadence, and second, in flamencos' treatment of dissonancei.

That said, the way one learns the relation between major and minor is through modulation. In order to analyze modulation you have to know the chord in each key and how to rename them in a modulation.
Most of the time you look for where a modulation seems to occur, then backtrack to a chord common to both keys. That acts as a pivot chord. The rest is easy.

Since flamenco is not usually analyzed this way I began by analyzing the chords in Dm.
i-IV-V or i-VI-V looks familiar. iv-VII-I and iv-II-I do not look normal. People have to learn this first.

THE BIG PROBLEM that is not going to be resolved here is that almost everyone wants to begin with the ton of information and knowledge they have gathered over the years intsead of defining terms (tonality; theory for example) and starting with the very basics. I pointed out that you can write some basic falsetas with V-I, V-i, and II-I. Then branch out from there. From simple to complex.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 3 2015 21:54:31

guitarbuddha

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricardo

Creep is normal western tonal harmonic function....it's not III, it's V of vi, meaning it's a normal progression with a deceptive cadence....went to C instead of E minor...then the Cm-G is the plagel cadence or something, where the IV-I has the iv borrowed from parallel minor. It's in classical music too.

Lots of interesting points bobbing around now.

In Creep the III7 chord is preparing the IV and I would look at it as coming from the gospel/blues tradition I III IV V cliche I mentioned earlier. Not so useful in this piece to think of it as the V of vi as the I III IV is pretty commonplace to our ears.

Often deep structure in diatonic music is most easily exposed by trying to look for I IV and V first and then over a period of time getting used to how they are manipulated (substituted, expanded, coloured and altered) in different styles and periods.

The plagAL cadence with the subdominant minorised was incorporated into gospel music from the Anglican tradition of hymn singing. My absolute favourite version of this is to substite the vi m6 with b6 Major. In C replace Fm6 with Ab major triad.

Anyway just like any craft the more tools you have in your belt the better, and sometimes you can make do fine with the ones you have with a little ingenuity. No point spending too much acquiring a new tool if you aren't gonna use it.

I love the history and interplay of harmony. And I do agree that a lot of early to mid twentieth century textbooks do insist on the chosen style and common use of the writer as being the starting point for ALL music when it really only fits well late Baroque to early Romantic music or Early Jazz or whatever.

Same with older books on English grammar where the style of communication preferred by the writer is held up as the only one which is correct. But is is possible to enjoy a variety of styles without feeling the need to buy into the prejudices of their practitioners.

D.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 3 2015 22:25:38

Sr. Martins

RE: Music Theory: Why? (in reply to guitarbuddha

I can understand Ricardo's view on Creep but I would only consider it that way if the next chord was in fact an E and not a C.

Everything is fine as long as we're all talking about the same thing. We can hear things in a different way or understand them from a different perspective.. if everything makes sense and we can relate to each other's point of view, diversity is a plus.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 3 2015 23:18:07

Ricardo

quote:

I find your Fandangos conclusions to be contradictory. Lola Fernandez and many others have written on what they call the bitonality of flamenco. The "song" (at least in some variants) is in C while the interludes are in Eph. Her problem is that she still sees flamenco as modal, so the fandangos "song" is tonal but cadences modally. I tend to agree with her more than you but still find problems with her conclusion. For me, Fandangos is tonal and just tonicizes C for the letra. (there are other possibilities of course, A major in Almonaster?)

Where is the contradiction to what I was saying? Bitonality of flamenco?? I just talked forever about east/west issue. You agree more with her than me, yet have problem with her conclusion and modal views? And finally the Almonaster version.... it all points to same situation that we all 3 take notice of a special hybrid music going on and attempts to describe it in simple western tonal terms results in odd or special terminology required. There is no contradiction at heart here.

The condradictions I refer interms of using analysis would be things like choice of key sig, or use of accidentals, enharmonic spellings, roman numeral analyses (regardless if they "look" normal or not to a student that has done that type of work with Bach), use of meter, bar line placements, subidivisions, scale naming, chord spellings, etc etc. My point is you need a consistent thing that works in all examples, if you want to attempt to use western tonal terms and practice to describe the music.

Anyway I vaguely remember pushing the phrygian tonality issue (vs modality) years ago before you deleted all your postings. I am glad you say "I have said a million times..."... cuz before you I had considered my description of phrygian key extremely fringe

www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 4 2015 0:51:56
Page:   <<   <   5 6 [7] 8 9    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   5 6 [7] 8 9    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll