Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: Lets be negative   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

legrec

RE: Lets be negative (in reply to RobJe

quote:

A dead art form looks back to some kind of golden age and tries to preserve it.

I agree RobJe, but it's "only" 50% of the point IMO. Perhaps we can see the necessary counter-part of this reflexion :
A dead art form is looking for the future and forget it's past.

That's why there are debates, because of these "lower and upper" limit - one refers to the lower limit, and the other to the upper one... And also why it's so difficult to understand and act satisfyingly between tradition and modernity, in all human fields. We musn't stay too much in the past, but also we musn't look too far in the future...
This is "theory". I feel that practically, each human era or period is marked by a tendency to fall in one or the other grid of view. A majority of people are refering inconsciously to one or the other limit, according to the "spirit of the era". And my global opinion in this world (and i'm "only" 30) is that the second threat is today much more powerfull than the first.
And we seems to be in a "tomorow will be better, don't bother with the past" era. Capitalistic economy is giving the tempo here. It cant stop or even slow down. No matter we've got everything to live satisfyingly, we MUST raise the production and the consumption by 10% each year to be "well". And I suppose this general state of mind influence cultural and social thinking and behaviors.

One exemple among many is Japanese society, wich is often described abroad as a "perfect" combination between tradition and modernity, by "modern" journalists. Ask japanese people or just learn a little on the country and you will clearly see that it's rather a 10% tradition and 90% modernity "equilibrium"...Yes, there are old temples and people are still sleeping on futons or receiving a gift with both hands. But when it comes to "old" values of thinking and behavior (humility, patience, simplicity, hate of greed) most japanese folks will tell you these times are clearly over and forgotten.

Thus, the "decorum" of the past had been preserved, but some fundamental lessons of history have been broadly forgotten. For the sake of the future. At the global cost of the degradation of Japanese civilisation, IMO.

From my side, speaking of Benise music for exemple, one can tell me : "don't worry, it will die by itself" or "what's the point, he's making flamenco for non-afficionados, he's "popularizing" it". I will accept these points, relatively.
But will still think that in the end it deserves flamenco past AND future way more than that it serves it.
But i agree also that this it's not fully a "traditional/modern" debate, it's also an "artistic honesty / money,fame&glory" debate... But there are still some links, as perhaps one key debate of modern flamenco is the "massification of flamenco", by opening it to new genres and audiences and forgetting a little the "rawest" and hardest to hear or understand aspects of flamenco.
And that's a main point IMO of the traditional/modern debate : modernity seems to say "hey, be easy, everything must be accessible, fluid and fun. All that is hard to get by, painfully slow, and requires tons of patience and efforts is an old and boring thing". That's exactly Benise music "fundamentals", as far as I can see.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 8 2007 11:29:44

buleria

RE: Lets be negative (in reply to legrec

Mmm, about one inch of snow in the UK and everything is shut, so .. I have time on my hands! Pet moans:

1. Yes, Kate - the flute! Have not yet actually shouted 'shoot the flute' during a performance but always tempted.

2. Dancers who don't appreciate guitarists enough.

3. People who perform under Spanish names (especially those involving a la or an el) when they're not Spanish.

4. Dancers and guitarists with absolutely no interest in the cante.

5. Casa Patas for charging me a lot of money for a very bad show.

6. Audiences who talk through the guitar solos/singing and only shut up for the dancers.

7. People who write lists like this and presume anyone is going to be interested!!!

Still snowing.......Karenanne
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 8 2007 12:53:40

Romanza

You know, I dont mind the flute so much - but it was very much of its time (ie 1986!). but what i cannot stand is that accordian sounding thing so beloved of Tomatito and Vicente - that brings to mind a French bistro with check tablecloth. I just skip those ones..

I'm not sure what instrument it actually is, will check the sleeve notes (if anyone's interested)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 8 2007 13:38:34

Jim Opfer

RE: Lets be negative (in reply to Florian

quote:

il just throw them out the closest window out oh the highest building

Then some poor passer by in the street sees than lying there and wonders how those two wee terrapins got murdered and tied up together
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 8 2007 16:51:41

JBASHORUN

Actually, I quite LIKED the flute parts in "Solo Quiero Caminar"... I thought they worked reasonably well, although generally I'm not a great fan of them in Flamenco. As for accordians, I DO like those! there's some great Irish and Bavarian music which uses them, but its obviously an acquired taste.

Jb

¡Si esto no está en compas, esto no es el Flamenco!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 8 2007 19:44:46

Matic

RE: Lets be negative (in reply to buleria

quote:

1. Yes, Kate - the flute! Have not yet actually shouted 'shoot the flute' during a performance but always tempted.

As JBASHORUN, I like flute in some particular songs. I just can't imagine Buana Buana King Kong without one. It fits perfectly.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 8 2007 20:07:12

Doitsujin

And I dont like this threat here.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 8 2007 20:12:36

legrec

RE: Lets be negative (in reply to Doitsujin

quote:

And I dont like this threat here.

No problem. It's a "let's be negative" thread..
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 8 2007 22:45:35

Romanza

quote:

Actually, I quite LIKED the flute parts in "Solo Quiero Caminar"...
Yes I love the flute in Caminar and on Palenque in the One summer night album. But think it would sound odd today - do many modern recordings still use the flute?

And I like the accordian too - just not in flamenco!!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 9 2007 8:39:42
Page:   <<   <   1 [2]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post