Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

structures   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Playing >>Tabs >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

hassurbanipal

structures 

Hello guys,

I'm going to ask you something what I don't understand. how are palos being build? I mean how long does an escobilla for example last in an alegria (is that 10 compasses?) or where does just anything comes in a palo to make it so. I know all the rytmic cycles but i don't know where to play what and for just how long...
can somebody help me with this or recommend me something to do?
I hope the question is clear?

and if you ever come to belgium you may claim your reward....
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 22 2006 11:17:45

Florian

RE: structures (in reply to hassurbanipal

Hi,

I think its up to the individual or circumsances

depending on the choreography u can have a long escobilla or a short one.

If u were doing a Alegrias guitar solo u wouldnt necesarely play a escobilla unless u wanna use it as a falseta.

if u were accompaning a dancer it all depends on them and how long theyr escobilla is, i dont think there is a set time.

the Escobilla is just a melody to accompany the dancers footwork display, not a essential part without a dancer.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 22 2006 12:55:25

hassurbanipal

thanks florian
but take for instance the structure of a palo, where an escobilla starts is probably where you determin with the dance, here comes the escobilla but let's say you're imrovising with a singer, where do you put what and for how long...where do you play a solo falseta and where and how long does one sing and what comes next for how long...

it may sound stupid but I don't know all those things and it is difficult to find someone who ones or to just play with a cantaor....
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 22 2006 14:11:38

Florian

hassurbanipal

If only it was that eazy

There are many different Alegria letras for example or the same thing sang differently, an experienced guitarist can tell where a letras is coming to an end but even so unless hes discussed it with the singer hes just guessing (then just hope the singer will wait for you to finish your falseta before he goes into the next letra).

all this things are planned for and rehersed for before it possible otherwise u might put the singer off with a badly placed flaseta, or leaving it to chance.

there is no set way of doing ( but as always there are unwritten rules) and to tell you where to put the falseta i couldnt unless i heard the alegria.

I prefer to do scratching for intro , and while the singer sings Tiri ti ta tran tran (intro), and add a falseta after before the letra, but i wouldnt do it unless i checked with the singer.

i think try and listen to as many cante alegrias (or whatever palo) as you can get your hands on, and the more you listen the more u start to get a feel for what belongs where.

The singer really does dictate everything.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 22 2006 14:23:11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Playing >>Tabs >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post