Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Interview Subjects needed   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

kkrause1

Interview Subjects needed 

My name is Katrina Krause, and as I stated in a previous post from a couple of weeks ago I am doing a research project on this website for a class I am taking at the University of New Orleans. The class is on non-fiction writing and I am supposed to create a micro-ethnography on a particular group of people. For the past couple of weeks I have been visiting your forumn and reading some of you discussions. I need to include information gained from interviews in my assignment, so I am posting some questions here. If you have time and would like to help, I would really appreciate it. You can post your answers as a reply to this thread, or if you prefer a more private approach then you can send them to my email: katrlk@aol.com. Please number you answers so that it is easier for me to tell which question you are replying too. Thanks for your help.

1. What is you user name and why did you choose it?

2. How old are you?

3. Where are you from?

4. Are you male or female and what is your ethinic background?

5. Have you ever been involved with other online flamenco forums before? If so how did they compare with this one?

6. How often do you visit this forum and what is your main purpose for doing so?

7. Do you find that the other people who use this forum are knowlegable and helpful?

8. How long have you been playing flamenco and how often do you practice?

9. Are you married, have children, and/or another job besides playing guitar? If so, how does it affect your ability to practice?

10. Do you play in public?

11. Have you ever worked with dancers? How important do you think dancers are to flamenco as a whole?

12. Do you feel that flamenco is dominated by hispanic men? Have you seen many exceptions to this?

13. Define flamenco puro.

14. How do you think flamenco compares with other music genres?

I don't want to overwhelm anyone, so I will be posting follow up questions after I get a few responses. Thanks again for your time.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 14 2006 18:34:51

Ricardo

RE: Interview Subjects needed (in reply to kkrause1

What the heck. Some of the questions provoke the sarcasm with in me, but I will restrain and answer truthfully.

1. Ricardo. that is what folks involved in flamenco around me call me, since my real name is Richard. But on here it was convenient because I was partly disguising my "infamous" user name "RichardM" from a different forum.
2. 31
3. USA, D.C. Area
4.Male, pure white gringo payo caucasion. But I LOOK spanish to many.
5. My roomate got me involved with flamenco-teacher forum. I got into many fights with folks and the admin, got banned a few times, and eventually was part of the cause of it's demise. But I was also partially involved in it's rebirth, so not all bad. This forum is much better thanks to the administration and traffic, and format. Very few fights or "flame wars" as they are called.
6. Daily, to keep up with stuff going on, hear interesting uploads, and share thoughts on my favorite topic; flamenco guitar. Basically it is a "quiet" way to engage in flamenco late nights when wife and kid are asleep and I can't play guitar or listen to loud music.
7. In general yes. Most posters are intitially asking questions, but the responses are very helpful and revealing. I typically pipe in only when I disagree or feel VERY strong in favor and feel a need to reinforce an idea. But that is just my way.
8.10 years serious. Practice only a little nowadays.
9.Married with one kid. Only job other than playing flamenco is teaching. so I don't get to practice much, or you could say, I get paid to practice, just not exactly what i WANT to practice.
10. Yes, several days a week.
11. Every week. They are 33% flamenco. But too much and I get a headache. But then again, I married a flamenco dancer.
12. Hispanic I don't consider "Spanish" or from Spain. I consider that latin american, or south american or central american. The BEST artists in flamenco are from Andalucia, but some other good ones from other parts of spain. From there it branches out. There are a few exceptions of course. In general I consider the best artists of flamenco are from Jerez.
13. In English words it is hard. La Paquera de Jerez. Duende, aire, soniquete, etc.
14. FAR superior. Intense, serious, sophisticated, elite, deep, rhythmic, lyrical, beautiful but not "pretty", not attractive in the superficial way. Can be an acquired taste. Part of the world music umbrella, but not meant for the "whole world".

Hope this helped.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 16 2006 5:25:30

Exitao

RE: Interview Subjects needed (in reply to Ricardo

quote:

but not asthetically pleasing in anyway

Really? Wow.
Cada cabeza un mundo and I respect your opinions but I'm really surprised.

I find it intensely pleasing, aesthetically. Especially flamenco jondo and alegrias.

Would you talk about that more? You can start a new thread if you don't want to discuss it here.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 16 2006 6:43:53

Ricardo

RE: Interview Subjects needed (in reply to Exitao

I guess I meant to the NON aficionado, talking more about the surface, the first impression or casual listen. But I was typing fast, so I will change it, not good word choice.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 16 2006 7:29:04

[Deleted] (in reply to kkrause1

[Deleted by Admins]

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 16 2006 7:48:43

el ted

Hola Katrina,
Eyes down, here we go!

1)'El ted' simple, it's my real name. ( not the El of course) Sir Edward of Humeltone!
2) 49
3) East Yorkshire coast, England.
4) Male white Yorkshireman, the BEST part of England by a mile.
5) No. I looked at a few and thought better of it.
6) 3 or 4 times a week. Initially for information, mostly now for entertainment.
7) Yes. There are some seriously knowledgable people on this site, the like of which I could never hope to find in the North of England.( there are a couple of plonkers too)
8) About 16years. I can only practise when I 'feel' like it. I can't MAKE myself practise.
9)Yes, with four adult children that have have now thanfully all buggered off! I work 60hours a week on average am often too knackered to practice.
10) Yes, at least once a week
11) Never had the chance to play with dancers. Some would say dancers are more important to flamenco than the guitar!
12) Don't know.
13) Difficult! Best answered by Spaniards I think.
14) Flamenco has it all, complexity, passion, variety, improvisation, history. I play other forms of music on other instruments but flamenco always pulls me back.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 16 2006 10:37:09

Jon Boyes

1. My user name is my name.

2. 40

3. Wales originally, England now.

4. Male caucasian.

5. Three others, they were/are nowhere near as good due to the lack of traffic mainly, but also the uploads area that make this forum special. I also met my duo partner here!

6. Nearly every day, to network, chat flamenco and learn from all the more experienced players here.

7. Yes, mostly.

8. About 5 years, just a few hours a week due to your question no. 9

9. Yes, yes, and yes. Adversely!

10. Yes. Several times a week during my busy period.

11. Yes. A third as important, unless your band can afford palmeros and/or a cajon player

12. No - unless you mean Spanish? Even then, no. Most dancers are women.

13. Hardest question in the list. Perhaps 'cante' would be the simplest answer.

14. More complex, more rhythmically interesting, more passionate, more DIFFICULT (as a guitarist), more interesting harmony, more gutsy, more rock n roll

Spanish Guitarist in Devon, Cornwall and Somerset
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 16 2006 11:16:22

hassurbanipal

ok, so here we go.....

1. hassurbanipal (my real name is andy), it's an assyrian king from 7 bc. I'm not going to tell you everything because that alone would take four hours but I studied Egyptology and so....
2. 26 years
3.Belgium, little belgium
4.male, pure kaukasian
5.yes, one. this is better since there are more people and from different cultures so there is more to talk about.
6.once every two days, to see what is going on, the uploads, the tabs the discussion about juan martin
7.certainly, if this wasn't so I wouldn't be here
8.been playing about three years and I practice nowadays two up till three hours a day
9. i'm not married but I have a good relationship and I'm going to be a father in february. I practice at night because I don't sleep much, is quite handy..:))
10. yes, but not so much with flamenco at this stage, more with my little 'rockband'
11.yes, they are important as is for the cante y el toque. together is flamenco.
12.it is dominated by hispanic men but that is pretty normal I think. It doesn't bother me...
13. like define what music is? it is not possible to define , it is something I feel, It doesn't matter wether it is puro or not as long as it is good i'm happy...
14. It's just a genre like everything else is with a little more feeling on the outside in comparison to classical music where it's more on the inside and you have to search for it....does this make sense?

greetings
hassurbanipal (if you want to look it up you have to type assurbanipal)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 16 2006 13:33:28

kkrause1

Thanks you guys for answering. I know that I asked a lot of questions, so I appreciate you taking the time to answer. Ricardo, I am sorry if some of the questions provoke sarcasm. Part of the assignment is to combat preconcieved notions. Remember, people who will be reading my paper (my professor and maybe some of the students in my class) have never heard of flamenco, or know very little about it, even less than me....
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 16 2006 16:22:13

Mark2

1. Mark2-Mark is not my name, but because of the way I pronounce my real name (Martin), many people call me Mark
2. 48
3. San Francisco
4. male-Sephardic, Irish, Creek Indian
5. Yes, this one is more complete, but others have offered different things
6. Daily-to interact with other guitarists
7. Some very learned people here and all seem willing to share their experience
8. over 20 years-practise when I feel like it
9. Married over 20 years, two girls-one of whom is named Katrina I'm a business owner, which has limited the amount of time I spend playing music tremendously, especially in the last five years.
10. Yes, but only about 12 times a year.
11. Yes. I think they are extremely important to some people, less so to others.
12. No, it is dominated by Spanish men and women. There are very few exceptions.
13. I know it when I hear it-most of the time............
14. I don't even look at flamenco like a musical genre-I consider it a communication between the particpants, with any non participating listeners being incidental. If I consider recordings, then I think it is simply another kind of music I really enjoy.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 16 2006 16:29:03

jrabbani

Katrina from new orleans? interesting....

hey, what anthro class is this for?

juben
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 16 2006 16:34:57

Kate

1. What is you user name and why did you choose it?

Kate, because it is my name, full name katrina like yourself

2. How old are you?

3. Where are you from?

UK but live in Spain

4. Are you male or female and what is your ethinic background?

Female, British

5. Have you ever been involved with other online flamenco forums before? If so how did they compare with this one?

Yes, some are great like flamenco dancer and some can be very nasty.

6. How often do you visit this forum and what is your main purpose for doing so?

Not as often as I used to, I like to know what goes on outside of Spain.

7. Do you find that the other people who use this forum are knowlegable and helpful?

Yes on the whole.

8. How long have you been playing flamenco and how often do you practice?

I dont play flamenco, I work promoting flamenco artists, organising tours abroad.

9. Are you married, have children, and/or another job besides playing guitar? If so, how does it affect your ability to practice?

I'm married but dont play so no practice

10. Do you play in public?

No, I used to sing in a band though years ago, not flamenco.

11. Have you ever worked with dancers? How important do you think dancers are to flamenco as a whole?

I work with dancers, currently promoting La Moneta, Fuensanta, who comes to New York, Washington in January. I think flamenco dance is an important part but am just as happy listening to cante.

12. Do you feel that flamenco is dominated by hispanic men? Have you seen many exceptions to this?

Not sure about the word Hispanic, makes me think of Latin America. I would say that flamenco is dominated by Spanish in general, I know many professional female singers and dancers, Carmen Liãres, Remedios Amaya, Niña Pastori, Fernanda y Bernarda de Utrera, Marina Heredia, Estrella Morente, Esperanza Fernandez, La Macanita, La Suzy and many more dancers too numerous to mention.

13. Define flamenco puro.

cante and compás according to the palo (style) with no extras.

14. How do you think flamenco compares with other music genres?

It is incomparable.

Kate

Emilio Maya Temple
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000CA6OBC
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/emiliomaya
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 3 2006 18:01:06

[Deleted] (in reply to kkrause1

[Deleted by Admins]

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 3 2006 19:10:08

Ron.M

RE: Interview Subjects needed (in reply to Kate

quote:

Kate, because it is my name

Welcome back Hen!

See you!...Way Aye the Lads!

(The only Lassie that rins aboot Granada wi' jis a T Shirt oan in the middle a Winter...and am no jokin'!)

Great to hear from you again Kate!

cheers

Ron

A good guitar might be a good guitar
But it takes a woman to break your heart
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 3 2006 20:54:56
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages