Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Neck Depth on a flamenco guitar   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

musicalgrant

Neck Depth on a flamenco guitar 

Hi luthiers,

I have a hand made flamenco guitar which has a very narrow fingerboard and the neck depth is shallow too here are my measurements.

The reason im asking for your opions is that i often find it very hard to do certain chords in the higher positions, but on my classical guitar i find them very easy.

tell me what you think...

At the nut it is 5cm wide
At the 12th fret it is 5.5 cm wide

As for depth, i have no idea how to measure that but if i wrap my tape measure around the
5th fret its just under 14cm around and it increases as it goes down towards the 12 fret by a couple of mill from the nut downwards..

What do u luthiers think of a flamenco guitar with such a narrow neck? Would i be better off getting my next guitar with a slightly thicker neck?

Any feedback would really be appreciated

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/musicalgrant/index.html
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 3 2006 19:56:25

pablo requena

RE: Neck Depth on a flamenco guitar (in reply to musicalgrant

Hi
For a fingerboard that is 50 mm at the nut,it should be about 60 mm at the 12th fret.
As for the depth, I gess that you mean the thickness of the neck. I make my guitars 21 mm at the 1st fret and 23 at the 9th fret. If you dont have a set of calipers to take an accurate measure, you might be able to buy a cheap one in a DIY store, they usually are good enough to do this kind of measurement.

A solution to your problem could be a neck replacement, wich is quite a big job, the other obvious option is a new instrument.

Pablo

www.spanishguitar.org.uk
www.spanishguitarshop.co.uk
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 3 2006 21:13:35

musicalgrant

quote:

Hi
For a fingerboard that is 50 mm at the nut,it should be about 60 mm at the 12th fret.
As for the depth, I gess that you mean the thickness of the neck. I make my guitars 21 mm at the 1st fret and 23 at the 9th fret. If you dont have a set of calipers to take an accurate measure, you might be able to buy a cheap one in a DIY store, they usually are good enough to do this kind of measurement.

Thankyou Pablo, much appreciated, Im in the proccess of having a guitar made for me, and im just wondering about all this stuff. My guitar maker made me this guitar, which is incredibly easy to play and has a wonderful tone, but ive struggled at the higher positions, and im thinking maybe i need a slightly wider and deeper neck. As im left handed there are not many guitars \I can try out on

But on my classical no problem so i think that the solution is at hand, thankyou Pablo....

Grant

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/musicalgrant/index.html
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 3 2006 23:18:46

Anders Eliasson

50/55mm is very narrow, and I would have serious problems playing above the 4th or 5th position.

My necks are around 22mm deep all the way to the heel. I personally dont like when they get deeper when you move up the neck, but its something personal

Blog: http://news-from-the-workshop.blogspot.com/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 4 2006 8:28:45
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote