Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

[Deleted]   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1] 2    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

[Deleted] 

[Deleted by Admins]

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 1 2006 7:53:08

Reece

RE: GUITAR PRICES-HOW HIGH IS TOO HIGH (in reply to Guest

How much is too high? When you can't afford it.

Having said that, it is important that all the money is going into the product and service. I firmly believe that a lot of the big name makers inflate their prices simply because they can. I have an Anders on order, and if I was a multi-millionaire I would still have an Anders on order, as his ethos on guitar building is exactly what I was looking for. If I was a multi-millionaire I would have more guitars, but I doubt any of them would cost $ 8000.

Diminishing returns also have to be considered - an $8000 guitar will not sound twice as good or play twice as well as a $4000 guitar.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 1 2006 8:47:29

Doitsujin

I think it depends on your social status. If you have much money, a high price is really ok. If you have nomoney,.. spending much money is difficult. The best sounding and playable guitars are expensive. Ok there are some low price suprise guitars, but thats not often. If you wanna have apro guitar and you arent famous to get low prices for good guitars coz you are comercial.. You have to spend a inimum of 2000€ Thats the lowest price to get a mas menos well guitar. Apro guitar is much more expensive, coz they are good to sale coz they are brilliant. After a while when the builder recognizes that his guitars are required, he takes more money for his models. And so on. After some years everyone knows the builders name. Than hes famous and you have to pay a lot more also for his name on the label.
A guitarbuilder who build medium guitars cant take much money coz the people would buy his guitars anymore.
So high prices usually come from good quality over the years.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 1 2006 9:15:24

[Deleted] (in reply to Guest

[Deleted by Admins]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 1 2006 14:56:24

PacoPaella

I dont quite understand the question. If you are not able to sell enough of your CD's to afford a good guitar, it is hardly the luthiers' fault?

From what i heard, a 1a Guitar can consume up to one month accumulated constuction time. Add the costs for the material, for buying and storing the wood for 12 years, shop rent etc. etc. how much should a builder get for
- his Creativity,
- his knowledge and experience,
- his hard physical work (try to french polish a guitar if you think its all ez)? 2000 is really not THAT much.

If you dont have 2000, buy a fabric guitar, play on the streets until you can afford a better one. The system is called "free market".
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 1 2006 15:09:59

[Deleted by Admins]

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 1 2006 15:34:20

Miguel de Maria

The true comparison is not between a CD and a guitar, but what a top-level luthier makes a top-level flamenco. I have calculated that our most successful flamenco guitarist in town probably makes about $60,000 a year or so. I could be way off, because it's just what I've added up. To equal that, you would probably have to sell 20 $5000 guitars a year, due to overhead and materials. Now think what it must take to rustle up $60K worth of gigs; it's a career just like it might take to rustle up 20 customers a year for expensive rare guitars. I don't see what the problem is, since they're both making about the same type of cash.

Of course, neither of these professions are valued to any degee in America. In America, we pay for what we truly value, and what we truly value are doctors, lawyers, and businessmen. A lawyer who graduates near the top of their class will make well over $100K in this town. This is simply a geek who's good at memorizing and logic who spent an extra 3 years in school. Nowhere near the level of accomplishment and work and networking it would take to reach the level of the luthier or the guitarist. And he's still making 66% more---fresh out of college!

We have CEOs who are being paid $100 mil a year, we never even hear their names but they are the real robber barons in this country. Paul McCartney doesn't make close to that kind of cash, and he was bigger than God at one time!

Few things are fair, but the compensation of top luthiers and musicians seem pretty equivalent to me.

Connect with me on Facebook, all the cool kids are doing it.
https://www.facebook.com/migueldemariaZ

Arizona Wedding Music Guitar
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 1 2006 15:40:54

[Deleted by Admins]

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 1 2006 15:47:03

Miguel de Maria

Romerito,
I paid $3500 for my guitar, and I like it a lot. But it could be better, or at least, it could be better for me. I think a lot of this is just what suits you personally. For example, if you play concerts maybe you need a really booming guitar, if you like to play a lot of intricate parts maybe you would like a guitar with a smoother left hand. For example, in the classical world, the Ramirezes are infamous for being huge, sounding great, but being beasts to play.

I played a Keith Vizcarra guitar once (as I am sure you have), and it was my favorite ever. It was years ago and it was the first flamenco he ever made--Chuscales played it for awhile. The notes just jumped right out of that thing, man! Dry, flamenco sound, easy to play, loud. But that was awhile ago and my tastes and knowledge have changed sicne then. I think he's charging $7K nowadays.

There are some people who claim that the best guitars are over 30 years old. It's like a magic number they say, when a guitar really starts to sound fine. I haven't tried it out, but it's possible at least. If I did get some money, I would probably buy a 30 year old guitar and see what happens. I bought my classical in '91, so it's half way there :) It does have a nice sound.

I think that if I could buy a guitar right now, without having the benefit of trying out a ton, I would get one of those Aaron Greens. I play some flamenco, some classical, some South American, so I want a pure tone, clarity, and a fast neck. From what I've heard, he makes a great product (and he is a good guy too). Unfortunately, I think his stuff is up there at 8K or so.

It's a bit of a funny situation that the top luthiers make guitars that only collectors and top guitarists can afford. There's a whole bunch of pretty good guitarists that would be well served by finer instruments but can't and probably wohn't be able to afford them. On the other hand, over time we have a bit of an advantage in evaluating what guitar will serve us best, as long as we keep our ears and minds open, because we are spending so much time with the instrument, and perfecting ourselves.

I hope this spiel is somewhat interesting or useful to you :)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 1 2006 15:55:26

[Deleted by Admins]

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 1 2006 15:59:27

Anders Eliasson

quote:

GUITAR PRICES-HOW HIGH IS TOO HIGH

Anything above my guitar prices!!!!!!!!

Sorry, I had to write this

Quote MDM
"I think a lot of this is just what suits you personally"

Thats so true, and every time I hear these discussions about which guitar or maker is the best I think that these guys havent understood a thing.
There are many good makers and many good guitars. What you need to find out is what suits you. Thats not the same as what you would like to suit you. We all have these image ideas and maybe we like Paco and think that a paco guitar would be the best for us.
Another thing is that all good guitars are nice and inspires you. I find it interesting how much the different personality changes my way of playing. A trebly, percussive guitar makes me play hard and gitano like. Cool and lots of fun, but also a bit empty in the long run. A big sounding guitar with lots of harmonics makes me play a lot softer, looking for the soul of that guitar. My girlfriend loves that. Me to, but sometimes it can be a bit boring. The in-between guitar is very often the best choice, but might turn out to be a little of everything and nothing special.
When its right you know it and it takes time to find that one thing. Especially because a lot of players dont know what they want.

Besides, the price of a guitar is totally market definated. You pay what the market says.

Un saludo

Blog: http://news-from-the-workshop.blogspot.com/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 1 2006 16:46:01

[Deleted by Admins]

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 1 2006 16:56:31

Miguel de Maria

Romerito,
don't forget the effects of inflation here in America. A lot of our goods are cheap because of Chinese imports and the fact that they sell them below cost, but the truth is we are in the midst of a horrible inflationary spiral. Housing prices, perhaps the biggest overall expense, have gone through the roof! You can't get a new car under $10,000, no Yugos anymore. Gas and energy has gone up and have you looked at cell phone bills lately. Everything is twice as expensive and that's one reason guitars are... also remember that the Euro jacked up prices of Spanish guitars.

Incidentally, Patrick tells me that Tezanos Perez guitars (the one I play), are highly overpriced because of weird Japanese obsessiveness. So perhaps the $3500 I paid was fair, not the $7000 that they are going for new!

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 1 2006 17:39:52

flamencoguru

Very interesting post. I personally think luthiers deserve every penny they earn. They put long hours into the art (not to say that guitarists don't). I know a few well know luthiers and they spend a lot of time along trying to make the perfect instrument to satisfy our needs and desires. My hat is off to them. I'll gladly pay $5000 for a top quality guitar. Hell, I'd pay twice that if I could afford it. I'm not complaining because I hired a violist to record a part for a recording I'm doing and her viola was $40,000 and her bow was $15,000. Is it a rip off.....no, it is what she was willing to pay for a quality viola and bow.

Is a guitar worth $5000? Is a Picasso painting worth $3,000,000? Is a Bentley worth $300,000. Is it right that Puff Daddy has made millions upon millions? It's what you're willing to pay and who's will to sell.

Remember, luthier's are artists too.

Un saludo, Errol

P.S. I have no problem spending $20 on a CD if I really like it. I've paid much more.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 1 2006 17:43:38

Reece

It's a given that things are worth what people are willing to pay. If people weren't willing to pay, the item would never be sold at that price and no discussion would be entered in to.

The real point is - do some luthiers charge a lot because they want to, or because they need to?

You have (labour + materials + overheads) + markup. If one luthier's markup is way higher than anothers, well he's taking advantage of his reputation. If he can sell his instruments for more than they are worth then good luck to him. In the business I am in you just can't get away with high markups. My feeling is that the typical $ 8000 guitar does not take twice as long to build or have twice the material cost of the typical $ 4000 guitar. There are other factors involved.

Incredibly, increasing prices has been shown to improve a business's sales figures. High prices represent quality, which promotes desirability.

If we're talking about collectors and the second hand market, that's a bit different. Wealthy collectors will often pay whatever is needed to secure the item, and this doesn't necessarily reflect it's true value.

Whatever's going on, I take my hat off to people who build fantastic instruments. We'd be lost without them, and I doubt many of them are millionaires.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 1 2006 18:37:16

[Deleted by Admins]

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 1 2006 19:01:49

Ramin

RE: GUITAR PRICES-HOW HIGH IS TOO HIGH (in reply to Miguel de Maria

quote:

Miguel de Maria: A lawyer who graduates near the top of their class will make well over $100K in this town. This is simply a geek who's good at memorizing and logic who spent an extra 3 years in school. Nowhere near the level of accomplishment and work and networking it would take to reach the level of the luthier or the guitarist. And he's still making 66% more---fresh out of college!

Miguel,
That was really funny man! I'm not sure your wife would appreciate the above statement! But all joking aside, I disagree with you on that point. If you look at the lifestyle of MOST of those "geeks", you will notice that they go thru hell! They have enormous responsibilities and challenges you may not have. Besides, a lot of them way more talents than just memorizing stuff! Trust me, it is not that simple being one of those geeks, even though it may look that way to some. I'm not sure I would like to live like that in order to make more money, and that's why I don't!

But I agree with you on one point: not everyone gets rewarded based on the level of his/her talent and that's just the way it is! No one has claimed that life is fair!

Ramin

What we are today comes from out thoughts of yesterday and our present thoughts build our life tomorrow: our life is the creation of our mind.
-Buddha
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 1 2006 19:33:16

Miguel de Maria

Ramin,
not only does my wife agree with me, she's the person who taught it to me! :)

But in a way you're right, the big firm lawyers do make over $100K, but they also work over 80. Seriously. So really they're just doing two jobs making a somewhat average $50k. One of our friends here worked for Steptoe and Johnson (now she's inhouse for Walmart--*puke*), and she would pull an allnighter every week. Yes, once a week she would work 24hrs straight. She didn't make partner and got pushed out after 8 yrs.

Lawyers have to have great tolerance of tedium, ability to focus, and ability to work with great endurance. And you are right that I couldn't hack it as one; I would go crazy. But ditchdiggers and construction workers and people in Mexico work just as hard and sacrifice their bodies, not just their minds, so I'm not going to say the lawyers have it that bad.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 1 2006 21:20:39

Nylonnewbie

RE: GUITAR PRICES-HOW HIGH IS TOO HIGH (in reply to Miguel de Maria

Easy on the ditchdiggers Miguel I'm a construction worker who digs ditches for pipelines so we can all have water to drink, wash our clothes and take showers. That nets me around 75 to $80,000 a year at 40 hrs a week. All jokes aside.... I wouldn't work 80 hrs a week for any amount of money, that's way to much time out of someones life.......sheesh! People think being a lawyer is some high and mighty position in life, truth is, most of them are trying to figure out how to twist the laws to help get someone avoid trouble. Well, not in every case, but you know what I mean. I'd rather be poor and happy, then rich, drive a Porsche and have an empty hole in my heart from living a plastic life.........know what I mean?

It's all good.........By the way, I like and respect your music.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 2 2006 1:35:17

[Deleted by Admins]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 2 2006 2:12:44

Nylonnewbie

Nealf,

Maybe your right. I't was just a small rant on some people (rich lawyers) who go through life and just don't get. Unlike the more unfortunate who often times cherish the simple things. I came from a broken home and remember how thrilling it was just to see some milk in the frig when it showed up.

I'm new to this forum and meant no dis-respect to anyone......my bad!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 2 2006 2:49:23

Miguel de Maria

No disrespect meant to the ditch-diggers... I meant it in a generic way of someone who works with his hands for little pay, such as day laborers or landscapers. We have a lot of those here in Phoenix and I think they may be lucky to get $50 a day. I think $75k is a nice chunk of change and a tidy way to raise a family. Of course, with home and college prices these days, who knows how far that's going to go!

I don't envy the big firm lawyers one bit; in fact, I pity them. My wife and I rarely hang out with other lawyers because we just don't have anything in common. I'm a longhair and she works out of the home and is a jeweler (www.kikcustom.com, where my CD is available :) Also pictures of me modeling) .

It's just strange to talk to these people who are like little worker bees, staring at legal briefs for 80 hours a week in their 8-year quest to become partner. If they don't make it in 8 years, they get pushed out, become bitter and claim they quit to focus on quality of life. I mean, they put their jobs above family, art, pleasure, justice--what the hell are we going to talk about?

I'm all for people like Nylonnewb making an honest living and getting paid well for it!

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 2 2006 3:09:50

[Deleted by Admins]

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 2 2006 3:12:01

Anders Eliasson

Ok, just a short one.

If guitars should cost what other instruments cost and if the luthiers should have a reasonable income covering their expenses, their investments etc.. They should cost about the double of what they cost now. Take a look at what all classical instruments cost and you´ll understand. Besides being a luthier is working with no security. I´m doing OK now, but for how long? etc.

I´m not complaining. Not at all. I could use my university carreer and earn two or three times what I earn now, and live in a beautifull house and have a bigger dog etc. But I prefer the life I have now. So no whining. I´m content.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 2 2006 7:37:05

Ricardo

The real question is why are guitars so cheap? It makes it so you have to have more than one. You know, a master violinist or cellist might have the 50K one of its kind and thats it. But every master guitarist has a couple of beauties lying around.

Oh and dont' worry about what the collector has. In terms of sound, instruments really need to be played to sound good. That goes for the 100 dollar yamaha right on up to the 100k Herman Hauser.

5K sounds like a personal choice but means nothing to me. I always notice a difference in the voice of the trebles of guitars above 3k. I mean, no guitar cheaper than that had the voice I look for, but I have played guitars that did not have it that were more than that. What the hell am I saying, it is really late. Good night.

Ricardo
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 2 2006 9:02:15

[Deleted by Admins]

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 2 2006 9:07:58

Anders Eliasson

Ricardo

Well, the main reason is that not long ago, spanish guitars were made mostly in Spain, and Spain was very poor and prices very low. Guitarbuilders lived of building guitars for Spanish players with little money., so prices were low. Take a look at prices in the 70th. Thats the historical factor

Another reason that guitars are cheaper than other professional instruments is that they dont last as long. They loose tension in the soundboard and its very difficult or impossible to recover that tension.
In violin family instruments you can recover tension quite easily. First of all they dont loose that tension because of the scooped out soundboard and back and you can quite easily remove the soundboard and replace the G-bar (the only bar in a violin, cello etc.)
On a flamenco guitar this is even more crucial because the construction is even softer than a classical or steel string guitar, and you cant imagine how many beaten out flamenco guitars I´ve seen, also from very famous makers. They were just dead But they had served a good deal of playing.

Back to this with prices and from a luthier point of view. For me its a difficult subject. I would like to raise my prices in order to move into a decent house , but at the same time I dont want to loose contact with players, and here in Spain young kids have little money..... So at the moment I stay where I am and will just raise my prices following house prices. That´s some 15% a year.

Besides, I´m quite OK. Doing what I like and living in Andalucia having enogh money to eat and drink and drive an old beaten Renault. Some people say thats what flamenco is all about.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 2 2006 11:37:24

PacoPaella

quote:

ORIGINAL: romerito
I think luthiers should look at your tax return and price accordingly. Never happen but good idea. If youre a millionaire then 20k is cool. But if your making under 25k, 5k is 1/5 your tearly income. OUCH.

OK so if you recorded your CD and i wanted to buy it, would you please look at my tax return then too? And if i happen to be a poor sonofa, will you please give me your CD for free? I mean, 20 or even 10 could be all i have for one week!

Hmmm...somehow i dont get the idea.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 2 2006 12:01:23

Miguel de Maria

Anders,
maybe you can make "special" models like Aaron Green that you can charge lots of cash for the collectors. Like the one on the LaBella strings!

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 2 2006 13:31:01

aarongreen

RE: GUITAR PRICES-HOW HIGH IS TOO HIGH (in reply to Anders Eliasson

Not to be contrary but I have to disagree with Anders on the topic of longevity and guitars. The two main factors that determine the lifespan of a guitar is how it was built and how it was cared for. I see many guitars that have design and execution issues that will directely affect the lifespan of the instrument. The first and foremost is the glue used, anything other than hide glue makes most repairs almost impossible. A lot of builders in search for volume also underbuild their guitars IMO.

I also see a lot of guitars come around with problems that have been compounded by years of being ignored. Two famous guitars in my shop right now have serious structural issues that started as simple hairline cracks. The owners didn't think they were serious, well they sure are now. Something as simple as maintaining proper humidity can make all the difference.

From a design point of view, a fan braced top is going to be easier to deal with than lattice or double tops etc. If the guitar is constructed with hide glue and the top needs to be taken off and rebraced, well it can be done. I have done it and the results were well worth the effort. Vilolin family instruments have survived due to similar efforts over the years. It ain't cheap so if the instrument isn't worth it, then the instrument does not survive.

I have played many guitars that were well over 40 years old that are doing just fine, the 53 Barbero for example. La Bon Bon, which is a Santos that he built for himself in 1903 was in perfect condition when I saw it 10 years ago. Many Hausers Fletas and Bouchets that I have played were built many years ago are still in service and doing very well. Again, if the instrument is well made and well taken care of, it should survive for many generations.

I was once told that the lifespan of an orchestral harp is 10 to 15 years. The string load on those things is somewhere around 30,000 pounds and they cost a whole lot more than guitars. An orchestra gig pays pretty well, I am guessing.

In terms of guitar pricing, it is what it is. I build every guitar as if it were my last. I take good care of my clients during, before and after the sale and have a fairly broad spread of prices, even though in reality the work and effort is pretty much the same for every guitar I make. If I break it down to an hourly wage, I make much less than most people I know. Actually I don't have to do that, I take home much less than most people I know. Not that I am complaning, I knew what I was getting myself into.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 2 2006 13:31:15
Page:   [1] 2    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1] 2    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post