Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Paco in Paris (WARNING: very long post!)   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Useful Stuff >>Events >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Romanza

Paco in Paris (WARNING: very long post!) 

So I kept it pretty quiet but basically was in Paris last weekend and saw PDL play at Salle Pleyel!

You will be pleased (or alarmed!) to hear that I took a notepad and pan in with me so I could provide a detailed account to the foro.

Well some of you may know I saw Paco in London last October and was pretty blown away. I pretty much expected this concert to be a repeat of that one, as it was to promote Cositas Buenas. To an extent it was, however there were a few surprises.

Although of course it was amazing to see Paco I have to say that this concert did not have the same impact as the one in London. I don’t know why – it should have been amazing, particularly as he played some of my favourite pieces. In the third row from the front (albeit a bit to the left) I had a completely unobstructed view of the maestro throughout (although could only see the side of Piranha and the bass player almost completely obliterated).

I don’t know what it was but afterwards I felt a bit unmoved. Paco of course blew me away with his playing, although, he did miss some notes at the beginning and sometimes it sounded like the strings needed changing or something (I’m sure they didn’t obviously but some notes just didn’t sound very clear).

Anyway, what was it like? Well Paco seemed really cool and relaxed, it was totally amazing being near the front and being able to observe those hands in action close up! He started off with the solo he usually starts of with although I have to confess I don’t know what that one is – those of you who have seen the Francisco Sanchez DVD will know from the first scene (and from the music in the menu section).

Then the band joined him on stage and they launched into an alegrias I think it was La Barossa – good stuff (EDIT It was not La Barossa it was Calle Muncion from Luzia!) Then came bulerias. The bulerias throughout were pretty great – I have to say I’m not a huge fan of Paco’s bulerias (finding them sometimes a bit lacking in excitement) but live it was a different story. I recognised the falseta from cepa andaluza in there. Also I never really liked Antonia but live it sounded amazing. Then there was a ‘medley’ from Cositas Buenas comprising of Volar (amazing) and the beautiful tientos El Tesorillo.

Now seems like a good time to mention the cantaoras La Tana and Montse Cortes. I really hate to be critical given that I really don’t know much about flamenco particularly cante but, while I was impressed by La Tana I did not really like Montse’s voice. It had the emotion but not the power, or as I like to refer to it the ‘shiver factor’. In fact I think that was missing throughout the concert, you know that thing that just gives you the shivers and really touches you – duende I guess. However I did like La Tana’s voice sometimes it sounded very Indian, quite high pitched and nasal, but in a good way. Actually La Tana looked great, I remembered her being slightly larger but she looked amazing. Not that that’s important!!!

So then before the interval came the title track from Cositas Buenas and my personal favourite, in which one of the guitarists played a lute or oud for part of it. Well it was pretty perfect, although seemed to be quite fast and I think the singers had difficulty keeping up.

It was all very nice although the audience a bit quiet, apart from one Ole (yes, one!) and someone expressing their love for Paco, although lots and lots of applause. However after the interval things got really interesting.

One of my favourite albums is Live.. One Summer night. I listen to it almost every other day, I just love the sextet and how it all gels together and especially Pepe’s singing. OSN contains two tracks off Solo Quiero Caminar album, Palenque and SQC. So I nearly fell off my seat when after the interval Paco launched into the opening bars of Palenque followed by SQC! I was ecstatic in fact, as I’ve always thought it would be so amazing to hear live. It was amazing, but again for me the vocals let it down – having heard Pepe sing it it just didn’t sound right to me with female vocals. Of course had I heard it sung that way first I’m sure it would have been different. Anyway it didn’t ruin it for me I was just so grateful to be witnessing Paco playing one of my favourite albums. Another random choice came next – Cancion de Amor. It sounded beautiful but to be honest I don’t normally listen to this song as for some reason it makes me incredibly sad. But Paco played it beautifully.

Oh yes, I forget about the harmonica – basically on the SQC stuff where normally you hear Jorge Padros flute there was a guy playing harmonica. It really worked. I love the way Paco experiments with different sounds and instruments etc.

For the finale, Paco played Zyryab, sounding amazing and each of the group did a solo, and then the last track from Zyryab the fandangos Almonte. It really ended on a high.

After a standing ovation they returned for surprise surprise Entre dos Aguas and Paco again brought his daughter on stage, who sat on La Tana’s lap and did some palmas and cante.

As I say, it was great stuff, but I think maybe the tour is just getting a bit old now and perhaps a bit lacking in spark– I mean that’s a year Paco has been promoting CB now. In fact La Piranha looked like he was falling asleep at his cajons for half the performance (although pulled it out the bag when needed!).

But you know, it was Paco, and amazing to see him again. As they were taking their bows Paco noticed a guy in front of me taking a photo and not only did he turn and smile he tried to get Antonia to turn her head and face the camera too (although she was too busy staring wide eyed into the crowd!).

Afterwards I saw a couple of guys from the audience ask one of the security / roadies if it would be possible to meet Paco and the guy nodded!! I was seriously considering asking myself, but in the end decided against it as a)I didn’t trust myself to be able to string a sensible sentence together if I did get anywhere near him (I mean, what do you say to PDL??) and b)my camera had been confiscated at the door. I have to see I regret being such so cowardly now though!

Well I think that's everything! I have the programme at home and will update this with the names of all the band members a bit later.

Gracias!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 11 2006 13:11:25

El Becko

RE: Paco in Paris (WARNING: very lon... (in reply to Romanza

Romanza, thanks a lot for that post !

How did you manage to get tickets?? It's been sold out for months!

How about the acoustics of the Salle Pleyel? What is it great?

Cheers,
Philippe
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 11 2006 14:49:23

Romanza

Bonjour Philippe

I bought them in July!

I cannot really comment on the acoustics - sounded good but I don't know much about that kind of thing. However I wasn't that impressed with the layout of the Salle Pleyel. Predictably a tallish man sat in front of me and if I hadnt been able to swap with someone I literally wouldnt have seen anything.

Also some people who were sat on the front rows but towards the edges would have had no view except the backs of all of the band, because of the way they were seated in a semi circle. I would have been very dissapointed!

Loved Paris though!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 11 2006 15:50:11

Tomás Jiménez

Well that is a relief Romanza. I had an idea that it was possible that you might have gone to my concert last weekend in London. It was cancelled at the last minute so I would have felt bad for any one who had made the journey.

Saludos

Tomás

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 13 2006 8:16:52

Romanza

Well, thanks for your concern! Do hope to come and see you play sometime soon though.
R
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 13 2006 13:47:28

El Becko

Salut Romanza,

Thanks for your answer. Glad to read you loved Paris. You will soon have another opportunity to come back as there will be the Paris Flamenco Festival in March. Paco is playing again during that festival but the program of the other shows has not been published yet...

Hello Tomàs, I was disappointed as I was not able to attend your concert even though I was in London that particular week end... Well, at least I did not miss anything... Maybe next time.

Cheers
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 16 2006 10:58:00
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Useful Stuff >>Events >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote