Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Please help me decide   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Useful Stuff >>Classifieds >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Gypsy Street

Please help me decide 

This is a question for everybody to answer, each with his own opinion:

Which company or luthier makes the BEST flamenco guitar with the following criteria:

- Solid German Spruce Top
- Solid Spanish Cypress Back & Sides
- Full size (Madrid School)
- Cut Away (AAHH don't sneer)
- Lots of volume, bite, and harmonic overtones
- THIN lacquer or French Polish

Basically, I'm at a dead end with my research. Australia doesn't have much in the way of variety in guitar shops. At the moment I play a borrowed 1974 Conde Hermanos through a cheap condenser mic, and a variety of horrible cheap PAs.

I need a really good acoustic amp. Why? The PAs in the venues are aweful. Please advise. AER? or maybe Ashdown? or Fishman? The best tone. Please vote.

I need a pick up that sounds like a guitar, not a synth. Why? Because I'm tired of this microphone stand! Maybe an LR Baggs LB6 or I-Beam?

Finally, it's time to spend my life savings, I need a cut away. Why? Because I'm not Paco De Lucia and I can't do what he does, no matter how relaxed or focused I am. Who makes the flamenco guitar of my dreams? Please, tell me what you think. Who votes for a Conde EF4? Please help me decide, I have no real guitar shops here.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 12 2006 10:07:11

flamencoguru

RE: Please help me decide (in reply to Gypsy Street

I can't help you with the guitar but I strongely suggest against a pick up. To me, all pick ups sound like crap. It's the very nature of the beast. Do you listen to the guitar from the inside or from the vibrations from the bridge? The sound of the guitar as we know it is heard from the outside of the soundhole.

I can suggest a great mic that will make you guitar sound like a guitar and not some tin can. AKG C1000. Great mic for the money. Come on!! The mic stand can't be that bad setting up??? Anyways, good luck on your quest.

Un saludo, Errol
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 12 2006 10:27:42

hhmusic

the goods news is, there are many luthiers who can build your dream guitar. the question is, how much do you want to spend, can you afford to wait while they build it, and do you speak any spanish to communicate with the ones in spain? let me know on those three, and i can recommend several. good luck!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 12 2006 15:31:18

Gypsy Street

Okay, I need an all-rounder I guess... (in reply to Gypsy Street

Thanks for your replys so soon guys.

Well, I don't speak spanish very well yet (but it is my intetion to learn), I would prefer there be a guitar available now (rather than in years to come), and then the cash... Well, the part of me that says "spend whatever it takes, your life's savings" is in conflict with the part of me that says "you can't take a guitar thats worth a small house busking on Saturday night after the gig". So, I don't know. I need a proffesional instrument is all I know. Not semi-proffesional. I don't want to spend a lot, but if it costs a lot, then I have to. I guess I'm lucky that I still don't have any kids to support, but then again, as many of you might well know, money comes in very slowly when all you do is play guitar.

As for the microphone reply, thankyou, but I am determined to find a way. There must be a way.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 12 2006 16:01:25

Gypsy Street

Vincente Sanchiz 41F (in reply to Gypsy Street

A friend recommended Vincente Sanchis Flamenco Model 41.
Anyone have any thoughts on that?
I'm wondering if they're good value, or might I be dissapointed...
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 12 2006 16:07:17

hhmusic

one place you could look is berkely music, in california. they have several cutaways in stock, all built in paracho mexico by skilled luthiers, and reasonably priced. jason mcquire has been playing these, and he likes them. i'm pretty sure they have a return policy, so if you didn't get what you wanted you could return it, though round trip shipping to Oz might make that prohibitive. you can check them out here:

http://www.berkeleymusic.com/flamenco2.html

carlos pina, also from paracho, makes nice cutaways that are usually available, however these are not madrid size. more like granada, or even a hair smaller; nice guitars though, and they often have pick ups already installed. you might want to swap brands, but at least the holes are already in the right places. one of these might be cutaway:

http://www.gspguitar.com/jsp2/listProduct.jsp?cat=instruments&scat=flamenco_guitars

german rubio, in los angeles, also makes flamenco cutaways, and some are very, very good. they can sometimes be found on the used market and at the LA dealers websites. he's sometimes referred to as "G.V. Rubio." chris mello was selling one of his rubios; you could email him from his site:

http://chrismello.net/gear.htm

cutaways are less common in spain, so its unusual to find one used, and very difficult now to find a spanish luthier-built professional guitar for prices as low as any of the above.

good luck-
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 12 2006 16:29:17

Tomás Jiménez

Pablo Requena provided you don't mind a guitar which is a cannon, rather aggresive with some sweet sounds and quejido. He makes also to different sizes if you want. He has a couple finished just now both rubia, one with wood pegs traditional and one with wood pegs of the new mechanical type.
Link on my site.
Saludos

Tomás

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 12 2006 16:34:11

flamencoguru

If you're looking for a guitar, I would suggest Tom Núñez at www.lafalseta.com

He's a great guy and provides an honest service. He can guide you to make sure you get exactly what you're looking for. I think he's your best shot.

Un saludo, Errol
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 12 2006 16:39:03

lukemoon

what did you buy?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 19 2006 17:27:43

RubenSevilla

RE: Please help me decide (in reply to lukemoon

The Vicente Sanchis is a factory made guitar. I have played some in the past but I did not like it.

Fishman offers a pickup/micro system called Fishman Prefix Pro Blend. It has a pickup and also a micro installed, see

https://ssl.kundenserver.de/s92526103.einsundeinsshop.de/sess/utn;jsessionid=1545110cd496a83/shopdata/0020_Espanol/0040_Guitar+Accesoires/0040_Accessorios/product_details.shopscript?article=0140_Fishman%2BPrefix%2BPro%2BBlend%2B%3D28GITFMPRE1%3D29

This is in my opinion the best way if you want to play with pickup. Here in Andalucia most of the flamencos play with micro. And if you play in the sitting position, the micro gives you the best natural sound.

It is possible to get a lot of good guitars with the fishman system build inside.
It just depends, how much money do you want to spend.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 20 2006 9:45:01

Escribano

RE: Please help me decide (in reply to RubenSevilla

Welcome to the forum Ruben.

Foro Flamenco founder and Admin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 20 2006 9:49:03

RubenSevilla

RE: Please help me decide (in reply to Escribano

Hello Simon, thanks a lot...great to discuss my opinions with your members here...

@GipsyStreet:
I have read your search description above. You are looking for a flamenco
cutaway in spruce/cypress with a scale of 660 ? Handmade ?

If you go for a Hermanos Sanchis Lopez 2F-05 with Cutaway and Fishman,
the price will be around 2.100 USD with Pickup, Micro, Case.
The only thing is, that the waiting time for this guitar will be around a minimum
of 3 or 4 months, maybe more.

The 1F from Hermanos Sanchis Lopez is also available as cutaway with fishman.
The price for this guitar is about USD 2.500,-- with Pickup, Micro, Case.
Also with waiting time around 2 or 3 months.

The 1A Especial from Hermanos Sanchis Lopez is also available as cutaway with fishman. The price for this guitar is about USD 2.800,-- with Pickup, Micro, Case.
Also with waiting time around 2 months.

There is also Bernal from Andalucia who makes good cutaway guitars with fishman preamps. The prices start at USD 2.000 - more or less. But normally
Bernal guitars are "Chicas" with a scale of 650 mm or 655 mm. But he makes also with scales of 660 mm if you have enough time to wait.

A cheaper version of a cutaway blanca is here available:

https://ssl.kundenserver.de/s92526103.einsundeinsshop.de/sess/utn;jsessionid=1545110cd443a4d/shopdata/0010_English/0010_Special+Offers/product_details.shopscript?article=0090_TOP%3D3A%2BFlamenco%2BGuitar%2BMod%3D252E%2BOl%3DE9%2BFlamenco%2B2AF-C%2B%3D28Incl%3D252E%2BCase%3D29%2B%3D28OF2AF-C%3D29

This is a guitar for rumberos like Gipsy Kings....It sounds good and the you get a lot of sound for the money.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 20 2006 10:09:21

Gypsy Street

Thank you everyone for sharing your knowledge of guitars. I still haven't decided though. Do I need to play a Ricardo Sanchis or Hermanos Sanchis Lopez guitar before I hand over most of my money? I takes a long time and a lot of gigs to make a purchase like this, and I'm still worried about making the wrong decision.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 21 2006 5:41:44

RubenSevilla

Hello Gipsy Street!

It is always the best if you can play a guitar before you buy it. Sometimes it can be a problem, because if you do not have a local dealer you have to trust either if you order from the workshops of the guitar makers directly or if you order here in the web.

I am in the professional flamenco scene here in Sevilla. If I want to order a new guitar for myself, I have to go to the guitar maker, to tell him what kind of specifications I want to have. Then he makes the guitar for me. If he knows me good, I get the best guitar. I think it is important to have a good relationship to the guitar makers to get the best guitars.

It is also important to contact the dealer and he will answer you the right questions to select the best guitar for you.

It is important, that the local dealer selects the guitars in the workshops of the guitar makers, that's my opinion. If you come to Spain to buy a guitar, there is no high selection if you visit the guitar makers. They send all their best guitars to their partner shops.

Just have a look at he feedback of the clients about the quality and the sound of their guitars. (Example: http://www.ole-flamenco.com/html/guestbook.html)

You can contact me, if you have any further questions.

Saludos,

Rubén
Sevilla
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 23 2006 11:17:33

hhmusic

you could give this yacopi guitar a shot. it's full size, cutaway. the maker has some respect, or used to - but i have never played his instruments, so don't know the quality. it's not spanish, so it may not sound very flamenco (though a guitar doesn't have to be spanish to sound flamenco). but, it's cheap, you could have a pick up put in, of your choice. maybe worth a try.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Yacopi-classical-flamenco-guitar_W0QQitemZ120038950252QQihZ002QQcategoryZ2385QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 5 2006 3:15:35
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Useful Stuff >>Classifieds >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post