Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: Making first guitar - Progress   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: <<   <   1 [2] 3    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Ramón

RE: Making first guitar - Progress (in reply to DoctorX2k2

Sorry - had to leave town for a few days...Girl showed up at my door with a kid and...JUST KIDDING!

No, I did no 'fill', as I used cypress. Doesn't need it - unless maybe you have some gaps in the wood from grain - or the binding and purfling areas?

Sound samples...One of these years. I just don't have good stuff, and I have to get over to a friend's who has a really sweet little recorder that's been out awhile. It records near-studio quality on this little gizmo! Sooooo nice...

So I think I'm going to give it another go in the garage. Just order some tools from LMI and a few places, keep the investment to a minimum. I'm also going to see how serious the 'inquiries' were about me building another guitar and for how much. That might make me take the time to make a few jigs, better tools, etc....

Building IS kind of addicting, huh?! lol..

Cheers!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 20 2006 4:21:11

DoctorX2k2

RE: Making first guitar - Progress (in reply to Ramón

Heck yeah it is addictive Ramon If I could build 3 guitars a year I'd be happy.

As for buying tools from LMI, most of them can be bought elsewhere for cheaper. And jigs can be made by yourself as well.

Cypress doesn't need filling? Hmm didn't know some woods didn't need it hahaha, I'm so clueless about finishes. What if there's a microcrack I can't see? So all you've done was applying many layers of shellac, spiriting and glazing?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 20 2006 13:56:48

Ramón

I watched Bob do a Madagasscan rosewood classical (gorgeous), and yes, stuff like that has to be filled. Also, you have to really watch sanding so that you don't 'stain' light colored purflings, or get the dust into rosettes, etc....Looks F-U-N!!!

My cypress needed no fills, and only one slight area at the purfling, so I think if I build again, I'll just go cypress. It's friggin HARD enough!

I also have that catalogue from Lee Valley tools....Drooling!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 22 2006 23:54:00

Anders Eliasson

On a cypress guitar, you dont need to fill the back and sides, which is a big difference.
There´s still the neck, headstock, bridge to be filled. And sometimes bindings es well.
Yeah, Madagascar has big pores... I´ve just finished one and will post some pics soon.

Blog: http://news-from-the-workshop.blogspot.com/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 23 2006 8:30:44

TANúñez

RE: Making first guitar - Progress (in reply to Anders Eliasson

I just finished a Palo Escrito back and sides and it too had a lot of pores to fill. Pretty wood though. Worth the work.

Tom Núñez
www.instagram.com/tanunezguitars
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 23 2006 15:43:47

Anders Eliasson

And nice sounding as well. Of the rosewoods I´ve tried, I think its my favorite for a Flamenca Negra. A bit lighter and not so oily as others. Wonderfull wood.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 23 2006 18:25:22

TANúñez

I just received a very nice set of Pau Ferro. Have you worked with this yet Anders? Is it me or is this wood non porus?

Tom Núñez
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 24 2006 13:20:53

Anders Eliasson

I´m not to fond of this wood. I dont like it´s taptone and the guitars I´ve tried have been deadish. It´s very beautifull though and no pores to fill. It´s heavy and with a quite strong damping factor. Sellers call it Bolivean rosewood or columbian rosewood and compare it to Braz rosewood......

Take care when working its in the high allergic risk zone and tell us what you think whaen you have builded with it

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 25 2006 7:47:38

Anders Eliasson

Tom

Another thing, (not to far out of topic I hope) is: where did you get your Palo Escrito? LMI?
Do you know of any who has gone to Mexico to buy Paloescrito?

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 25 2006 8:02:29

TANúñez

Hey
quote:

I´m not to fond of this wood. I dont like it´s taptone and the guitars I´ve tried have been deadish. It´s very beautifull though and no pores to fill. It´s heavy and with a quite strong damping factor. Sellers call it Bolivean rosewood or columbian rosewood and compare it to Braz rosewood......

Take care when working its in the high allergic risk zone and tell us what you think whaen you have builded with it

Hey Anders. I got this wood for a classical. Thanks for the tip regarding the allergic risk.

Tom Núñez
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 25 2006 11:56:00

TANúñez

quote:

Tom

Another thing, (not to far out of topic I hope) is: where did you get your Palo Escrito? LMI?
Do you know of any who has gone to Mexico to buy Paloescrito?

This set I got through LMI. I'm going to Mexico within the next couple of months though to look for more. If you'd like, I can look for some sets for you too.

Check this place out.

http://www.parachodelnorte.com/Woods.htm

I've talked to the guy a few times. Seem's nice but never actually have done business with him.

Tom Núñez
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 25 2006 11:59:35

Anders Eliasson

Hi Tom

Well thanks for the offer. Well price and Quality is always interesting to know. I bought a set from LMI 3 years ago and I wasn´t to fond of it. Poor maching of sides and back and a BIG (1cm) knot in the sides. I´ve ordered 2 sets from them and they have promissed to send me something decent, so I´m not into buying a lot.

I was more interested, because I would like to go myself. I like Mexico. Fantastic country. Landscape, people, colours, smells. Everything.

I think that if you go further down south, to Paracho or maybe to where they harvest (Queretaro amongst other provinces) You can get better quality for less money...

I repeat, in my opinion, quality is very important talking about Palo Escrito. Not because of sound and stability. I regard it as very high in both aspects, butbecause modern 1st world guitarbuyers are not used to knots etc, so they wont pay. And when you build for a living, thats an important part of the game....

BTW... I have a feeling that you are building a lot more now than a year ago. Is that true.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 26 2006 8:14:18

TANúñez

Well if that's the case, hopefully you and I can meet up in Mexico, soak in the culture and have some beers.

As for building more, yes, definitely. A good friend once told me to build more, think less

Tom Núñez
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 26 2006 12:36:52

Anders Eliasson

quote:

build more, think less

Thats the spirit!!!!!

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 26 2006 17:57:59

DoctorX2k2

Update...

I just strung the guitar, even though it's not entirely finished yet, and I'm quite pleased so far. It easily beats the cheap Aria my mom bought in the 80s for 90$. It has a lot of power. The action is not perfect... like I said in JB's thread, if forgot to thickness my fingerboard before fretting it so I'm stuck with an extra 2mm. Basicly, the low E string is about 11mm above the soundhole (which is still lower than the Aria) but I'm under the impression that it increases the sustain... maybe too much. Now I need to put a golpeador, make a bone saddle, and maybe redo the nut. I'll also have to touch-up the finish on the back and peghead. The workmanship isvery rough, but I don't care, I've learned so much. Overall I'm well pleased. I'll post pictures and maybe a newbie soundclip later on
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 21 2006 23:10:04

JBASHORUN

quote:

I just strung the guitar, even though it's not entirely finished yet, and I'm quite pleased so far. It easily beats the cheap Aria my mom bought in the 80s for 90$.

There y'are, I told you it would be better than a cheap classical! Looking forward to the audio clips. I just put my first coat of french polish on last week, and should be finished early next year. Will post some clips too.

Jb

¡Si esto no está en compas, esto no es el Flamenco!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 21 2006 23:16:22

DoctorX2k2

Bleh... I was about to put the golpeador on and I found out that it wasn't self-adhesive, as opposed to LMI's description . I was thinking about buying some spray adhesive... is that ok?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 22 2006 17:38:07

JBASHORUN

Hmmm, spray adhesive? I'm not sure... I think thats intended for mounting pictures and things. But it might work. However a self-adhesive golpeadore is only a couple of pounds over here, so they must be about $5 there.

Alternatively, try pickguard adhesive:

http://www.lmii.com/CartTwo/thirdproducts.asp?CategoryName=Pickguard+Material&NameProdHeader=Transfer+Adhesive

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Glues,_adhesives/Pickguard_adhesive.html

Its a thin film that you apply one side to the golpeadore, and then stick it onto the soundboard. But just make sure you order the TRANSPARENT adhesive sheet if you're using a transparent golpeadore.

Jb

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 22 2006 18:07:22

JBASHORUN

PS: Its not a "Herco" brand golp is it? Thats the kind I got- its self-adhesive and fairly cheap too.

Jb

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 22 2006 18:29:57

Anders Eliasson

Doctor

if you like the guitar, you can always shave the fingerboard and do a refret to get the stringheight down. No big deal.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 23 2006 7:21:14

DoctorX2k2

quote:

ORIGINAL: Anders Eliasson

Doctor

if you like the guitar, you can always shave the fingerboard and do a refret to get the stringheight down. No big deal.

Yeah... I'll do that, but it will have to wait a little while.

As for the golpeador... I found that that there were 2 sheets to peel off and one side had adhesive stuff on it... but I screwed up while gluing it and there were bubbles and ugly fingerprints so I took it off and I'll oder a new one. No golpes for Xmas I guess... hehe
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 23 2006 12:49:31

DoctorX2k2

Ok,

I bought a fret puller, pulled the frets out and chipped a little bit of the 12th but it's not too bad. I sanded the fretboard enough to have a low action on both the fretboard and at the soundhole (aiming for 9mm). I also sanded the neck as it was too thick. Then I refinished the guitar for the 3rd time as I had a few sand through spots on the back and dented finish on top trying to play without a tap plate (not doing any golpe, but I guess my nails hit it more than I thought). So, another 3 weeks to cure then hopefully I'll just have to buff, glaze and restring. So don't expect pictures or sound clips until later this month.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 5 2007 20:52:18

Anders Eliasson

Cool Doctor.

Thats the spirit. Keep on working that thing untill you cant squeeze any more juice out of it.

I´m sure you´re gonna like it.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 6 2007 8:08:39

DoctorX2k2

quote:

ORIGINAL: Anders Eliasson

Cool Doctor.

Thats the spirit. Keep on working that thing untill you cant squeeze any more juice out of it.

I´m sure you´re gonna like it.

Haha, I actually do like it. I already want to build another one starting in May.
I had a very relaxed attitude about this one. A "just do something and whatever happens, you'll learn from it". The next one is going to be a lot easier.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 6 2007 14:02:41

DoctorX2k2

GAAAAAAAAAAHhhhhh

Sanded through again ...

I figured it wasn't the number of coats but my brushing technique.

Ah well... another 3 weeks of curing, again... god darn it.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 22 2007 17:16:12

JBASHORUN

Doc, if you're not already using it, try using MICROMESH instead of sandpaper or wet and dry. It comes in finer grades, and might allow you to cut back the finish and then polish it up without taking too much off.

Jb

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 26 2007 18:05:14

JasonM

Come on Doc, i've been reading and waiting for sound samples and pics for a couple of months. I'm getting impatient. You have a deadline to meet!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 26 2007 21:26:14

DoctorX2k2

RE: Making first guitar - Progress (in reply to JasonM

quote:

ORIGINAL: JasonM

Come on Doc, i've been reading and waiting for sound samples and pics for a couple of months. I'm getting impatient. You have a deadline to meet!

Now, imagine how I feel .

I was so frustrated, nobody could talk to me for 36 hours... this is the 4th time I finish the darn thing. I'm so going to FP my next guitar... screw lacquers.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 27 2007 13:57:16

JBASHORUN

quote:

I'm so going to FP my next guitar... screw lacquers.

IMHO french polishing is no easier than lacquer... more difficult if anything, and it will still require cutting back from time to time, unless you are a master polisher.

But go ahead and try it.

Jb

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 27 2007 14:11:42

TANúñez

RE: Making first guitar - Progress (in reply to JBASHORUN

Lacquer is so time consuming as well but both FP and Lacquer require a lot of time to ensure a good finish. No cutting corners.

Tom Núñez
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 27 2007 14:38:46
Page:   <<   <   1 [2] 3    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: <<   <   1 [2] 3    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll