Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Saving Streamed Lessons/Videos   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Resources >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Gecko

Saving Streamed Lessons/Videos 

This is in reference to Vasileos’ thread in the General Section, subject “ Looking for Instructor in SF Area” and streamed, on-line lessons or other videos. A couple of members were interested in this process.

Situation: Some of us have a “slower” internet connection which makes streaming videos a lengthy and choppy process. However, once the video is streamed it will re-play normally until you exit that page or the browser, then to return to the lesson or video you must re-stream it. I have been looking for a solution to this, principally a way to save the streamed video file to the hard drive and replay/review it without having to re-stream. So far I have found that you can and you can’t.

The following is based on using Internet Explorer and XP:

In Internet Explorer go to Tools>Internet Options>Advanced Tab and uncheck “Empty Temporary Internet Folder When Browser is Closed (towards the bottom of the list). The streamed video file will now be kept in your Temporary Internet Folder when you exit the browser. You may want to delete the files in this temporary folder before you do the streaming as it will make the video file a lot easier to find.

Go to the lesson or video site and stream the file. It will now reside in the Temporary Internet Folder and will remain there until you delete it and/or reset the above step. You can now return to the lesson or video site and replay/review it without having to re-stream it.

Here are the problems:

The lesson files are huge, for example a 14 minute lesson is a little over 68,000 kb and keeping several of them in the Temporary Internet Folder will require you to resize that folder, substantially. This can be done in IE Tools>Internet Options>General Tab>Settings and move the slider to the right.

Using Windows Explorer you can cut/copy and paste the video file from the Temporary Internet Folder to another folder and save it on the hard drive. However here is the “kicker.” Windows will not allow you to copy the video file back into the Temporary Internet Folder as it is a “Systems Folder.” There is a possible solution to this, which I haven’t tried yet. The lesson video files are .flv files which are some sort of embedded/encoded Flash Player files. There are .flv players available which, supposedly will allow you to play those files off-line. In addition there appears to be some conversion utilities available that will convert .flv files to .wmv files which can then be played in the Windows Media Player.

I also tried to do this in Firefox, but the video does not end up in the normal disk cache files in FF, so it must reside in the memory cache which I can’t access.

If anyone finds a better solution to this situation I hope they will post it for us folks in the “backwaters” who can’t get fast broadband connections.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 21 2006 11:21:08

Francisco

RE: Saving Streamed Lessons/Videos (in reply to Gecko

Not sure that it will be much help, but I record the audio with mp3Mymp3. I transcribe to tablature during the lesson, then use the audio and my tab. After the first couple of times through the lesson, I have the tab and audio.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 23 2006 3:23:56

Gummy

Did you ever find an answer to this? It is a major pain to have to wait for the whole vid to load so I can FFWD to the part I want to see. I clear my temp files often since this is where most malicious files are gained and reside.
Rod
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 24 2006 14:58:24

Gecko

RE: Saving Streamed Lessons/Videos (in reply to Gummy

Nope. Other than the process I outlined above.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 25 2006 10:07:01

stelal

Download the Realplayer Beta. It allows you to download any stream (youtube,myspace) and you can actually burn a video to CD. Not as high quality as DVD but since I don't have a DVD burner it works. Then you can use stop motion if you want to slow it down.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 21 2007 19:55:31
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Resources >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post