Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Paracho builders   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

a_arnold

Paracho builders 

I worked in the Smithsonian musical instrument restoration lab from 1966-1969 (worked mostly on harpsichords rather than guitars), and during that time my boss (Scott O'dell) had the enviable assignment of travelling the world researching the best guitar makers for the museum. One of his trips took him to Paracho. At that time, his opinion was that there were some good guitars being made there, well worth the price, but that they still weren't up to the Spanish standard. (His top pick at the time was Manuel de la Chica, whom he considered to be the equal of anyone building in Spain at the time, and in 1967 his prices were slightly more than half of a top-of-the-line Ramirez, so I bought 2. Still have them.)

I'm going to go to Paracho soon, and would love to hear some opinions on who are the best builders (not best for the money, but best best).

I've heard good things about Salvador Castillo since he won his national award, and Benito Huipe's name comes up repeatedly, although he may not be building anymore.

Who's best in Paracho and environs (there are a few in Morelia)? There are far too many builders for one person to visit all the shops, so I need to target my shopping. Any thoughts would be welcome.

Tony Arnold
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 3 2006 18:00:27

Patrick

RE: Paracho builders (in reply to a_arnold

Unless his a different builder, de la Chica was a builder from Spain:

http://www.azstarnet.com/public/commerce/zavaletas/greene/zgranada.htm

Arturo Huipe should be on your list, although a bit of conjecture as to who (if not him) builds his guitars has been floating around awhile. Benito (Arturo's uncle) is back in Paracho and still building. It seems the two are having a bit of a family battle.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 3 2006 18:51:36

a_arnold

RE: Paracho builders (in reply to Patrick

quote:

ORIGINAL: Patrick

Unless his a different builder, de la Chica was a builder from Spain:

Yes, I went to Granada to buy it. Placeta de la Silleria 8, just down the hill from the Alhambra. His shop was no larger than the footprint of an SUV. I ended up living there for a while, taking lessons from Rafael Morales. Also bought one of Morales' guitars as a banger.

I don't know if Chica's shop is still there, was inherited by another maker or not. Haven't been back since.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 4 2006 2:58:20

nhills

I have a de la Chica blanca - cheap student guitar, but great sound!

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (1)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 4 2006 15:17:52

seanm

I have a Juan Huipe (possibly the father of Arturo as I saw mentioned elsewhere) from 1999. It is very, very loud, very flamenco with a great neck angle and perfect intonation. Not the finest detail with regard to workmanship but I was really taken by how good this guitar is. Might be worth checking him out.

Sean
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 4 2006 15:22:45
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote