Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

[Deleted]   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1] 2    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

[Deleted] 

[Deleted by Admins]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 17 2006 13:37:12

JBASHORUN

RE: Would you leave your job...? (in reply to Guest)1 votes

Good luck on your quest Lionel. But remember to be honest and realistic with yourself. Sometimes dreams really are impossible, and this is a reality we have to face. Even if your dream is possible, it may not always be practical. If you have made up your mind to live your dream then give it all you've got. But first you have to decide what your dream actually is. This is very important- to know what you want to acchieve in life, and how badly you want it. The next step is set about acchieving it, which can be easy or difficult, but I'd guess for most people it is difficult.

Personally, I am 25 years old, and still do not know what I want to acchieve in life. So I will try one thing and try another until I find what is right for me.

Its best to experiment, and then try and acchieve your goal than look back at your life when you are 70 and regret not giving it a shot. But if you are really not cut out for something, its best kept as a hobby than a full time career.

My 2 pence.

Jb
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 17 2006 14:05:39

duende

i just wanna play guitar as much as i can...thats all my goals. never has been anything else

This is hard stuff!
Don't give up...
And don't make it a race.
Enjoy the ray of sunshine that comes with every new step in knowledge.

RON
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 17 2006 14:15:55

Jon Boyes

I was in my thirties before I realised what I really wanted to do, and by then I had a mortgage and was about to settle down. Now I am working towards my goals and much nearer to where I want to be, but its much harder as I have responsibilities and so I have to be careful and go slowly.

My advice to you is do as much as you can, experience as much of life as you can while you are young - don't waste decades of your life in some boring job because society/parents etc expect that of you, you will regret it big time later. Money is not everything.

As to all those questions you ask, no-one but you can answer them, it is all about priorities, and it's normal to be completely clueless about your priorities at your age , hence my suggestion that you go live a bit

BUT you can bet that once you have chosen what you want to do, there will be people in your life that share the same priorities.

I feel a sudden urge to quote Obi Wan Kenobe, but I think I'll play safe and go and have a cup of tea instead...

Spanish Guitarist in Devon, Cornwall and Somerset
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 17 2006 14:54:10

JBASHORUN

RE: Would you leave your job...? (in reply to duende

quote:

i just wanna play guitar as much as i can...thats all my goals. never has been anything else

I think virtually every male who owns a guitar thinks the same thing. But we can't all be professional musicians, and sometimes we have other responsibilities to consider.

That said, where there's a will, there's usually a way.

Jb
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 17 2006 15:07:20

TANúñez

RE: Would you leave your job...? (in reply to Jon Boyes)1 votes

Lionel,

You only live once. Make the most out of it. It would be one thing if you were married and had children. You'd have mouths to feed so your priorities would be different. If you don't have anything holding you down, why not shoot for your dreams as see what happens. Work a little more, save up some money and go for it. You won't know what will happen until you give it a shot. It would be disappointing though to always wonder "what if" if you never took a chance. There's only one way to know for sure if this is what you want. Everyone has dreams but so many of those dreams go unfulfilled because people don't take the chances.

I'm not saying just drop everything and go. We all have responsibilites. Take care of your business here. Tie up any lose ends, then go for it.

Tom Núñez
www.instagram.com/tanunezguitars
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 17 2006 15:12:10

Ron.M

Lionel,
I think you could come halfway here.
Instead of looking at the situation as black or white...ie doing a job which doesn't fulfil you verus giving up everything to run away to Spain to become a Flamenco, let's look at it from a more practical point of view.

You are young, have an Engineering Degree and I assume speak fluent Spanish?

Then start looking at the jobs going in Andalucia or even Madrid for young graduate Engineers.

You'll have a pretty good income and in the evenings and weekends you can see some shows, take lessons, make friends with other guitarists.
I'm pretty sure your girlfriend would be quite excited about spending a year or so in Spain.

You don't have to think of it so dramatically, like running off to join the circus!

cheers

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 17 2006 15:12:19

[Deleted] (in reply to Guest

[Deleted by Admins]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 17 2006 15:36:08

Miguel de Maria

Lionel,
I empathize with you...my father worked 12 hours a day, 5 days a week, at a job he didn't like. He put two kids through college and then retired. He is enjoying life now, but he worked for 30+ years doing something that had no appeal to him! I admire the discipline, but... I went to school for business administration...got a couple office jobs...wore a tie to work. Then I kind of jumped ship and started waiting tables and bartending! One place I worked happened to be a Spanish restaurant, and they happened to have rumberos playing on the weekends, and it also happened to be a hangout for guitarists to come by and drink after work...

Anyway, it seems some people are willing to conform to society's expectations of them. They are willing to go to a job which has little intellectual or emotional value to them and do it for 30+ years. And some people need to follow their dreams, not the path that has been laid for them. Maybe they are the same people, but just a little thing steered each the other way.

I made the decision to be a musician and so far it has gone pretty well. You have to be smart about it and realize that it is a business. You don't just go to a commune and wake up and play guitar all day and that's what you do. You have to make money, you have to promote, you have to get networks together. I'm sure this goes for any level of musician, from what I do to what Paco does.

I think Ron has a good idea to get an engineering job in Spain. I've seen how the Spanish work--it sure as heck isn't 12 hours a day! More like 5. You'll have plenty of time to practice guitar and soak up the culture. If you practice 4 hours a day and take lessons from the finest teachers, you will probably have a good idea in 3-4 years whether you want to continue.

As far as your girlfriend, relationships succeed when the people have compatible values. If your #1 priority is flamenco and her #1 priority is having money to buy Prada, that won't work. But a lot of other combinations will. You both have to compromise some, that's the best way.

Shroomy, I hope you go for it. The world needs more musicians, it doesn't need more oilmen. I like to see people follow their dreams because although the way is more obscure, it is not neccessarily harder. What could be harder than 30+ years of hard labor at something you hate?

PS (I just saw your new post)
Do you have what it takes to be a pro guitarist? the answer is if you have the passion, the desire to be great--if you have the drive to expend the mental and physical energy over a period of years, then YES is the answer! of course, you need 5 fingers, too--if you have that, we're good. Well, actually Django didn't have 5 figners on one hand, so maybe you dont' even need that.

There is no guarantee that the job in Spain will be totally easier, but there's agood chance. Especially if it's with a Spanish government or company. Anyway, once you are on the ground there, you can look for other opportunities.

Connect with me on Facebook, all the cool kids are doing it.
https://www.facebook.com/migueldemariaZ

Arizona Wedding Music Guitar
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 17 2006 15:42:06

PacoPaella

RE: Would you leave your job...? (in reply to Miguel de Maria)1 votes

Hello Lionel!

Reading this is like a bit of a deja vu. For me, it all revolves around the question "what is your idea of being a pro guitarist?". I certainly believe that the demand is there for loads of guitarists. However, 90% or more of them are pros in a way you wouldnt want to share! If your idea of becoming a pro flamenco guitarist is to be up there with Paco, Tomatito and Vicente, then you should realistically look at your abilities and perspectives (i dont recall hearing any of your recordings so i cannot really judge). The other end of the food chain is probably the pro guitarist sitting in the streets summer and winter with a hat nearby playing asturias or Lagrimas 40 times a day. In between there is the average accompanying flamenco guitarist who will forever be the second or third respected artist after the singer and the dancer.

If i am honest i try to be more than average in my job. If all i can do is swim with the little fish i go for something i can do better. Thats why i decided i could never go pro on the guitar. Another reason is that i saw a friend who is a pro for a while now having to "prostitute" himself in a way that i wouldnt want to...once you run low on gigs you take whatever comes, even the lowest tourist trap rumba style mumbo-jumbo...no thanks
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 17 2006 16:02:49

ricecrackerphoto

RE: Would you leave your job...? (in reply to PacoPaella)1 votes

lionel,

i won't say that it was a waste of time but i spent ten years working high paying jobs that gave me little satisfaction. i've now been a full time photographer for four years, make a fraction of the money and am fulfilled on all levels.

i made the leap when i was 34 because that was when the fear of never doing what i wanted/dreamed of doing finally was greater than the fear of taking the risk. i think there are few things more tragic than people who have dreams but never take the chance.

but it is a tough thing to decide to do and a huge commitment. i think the most important thing is that you recognize the need for something else.

doug
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 17 2006 16:26:34

[Deleted by Admins]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 17 2006 16:32:04

JBASHORUN

RE: Would you leave your job...? (in reply to Guest

quote:

If i am honest i try to be more than average in my job. If all i can do is swim with the little fish i go for something i can do better. Thats why i decided i could never go pro on the guitar.

Me too. you've gotta be very good at what you do for a living if you are gonna survive, and still have self respect.

To quote the Dire Straits song:

"That ain't workin'... that's the way to do it... playin' your hits on the MTV.
That ain't workin'... that's the way to do it... money for nothin' and your chicks for free!"

But in reality, being a pro musician can be a hard life too- even if you're good at it! And pro Flamenco guitarists probably don't have the same wages as top rock stars, so when you're not the best, things must be even worse.

still, every career has its down-sides! getting up at 6am every day, wearing a suit to work, working for 10 hours a day and getting payed peanuts for it isn't exactly ideal either.

If I honestly thought I could make it as a pro guitarist, I would go for it and never look back.

Jb
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 17 2006 16:35:17

[Deleted by Admins]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 17 2006 16:37:38

JBASHORUN

quote:

Why do you say that you couldn't be a pro guitarist? Are you not willing to put the hours into it or is it something else?

Partly natural ability. I never touched a guitar until I was 21, and when I finally did start learning, I found my progress slow. It seemed that playing the guitar was not something that I was naturally suited to. yes, given lots of time and practice I can and will improve. But by how much? And in the mean time, I have rent and bills to pay. I am studying luthiery at the moment, and its a similar story... I'd never touched a plane or any other woodworking tool until about a year ago, and its still something I'm getting used to. I'm not saying I'll never be any good at luthiery or playing the guitar, but some people are just better suited to some things than others, and its important to be realistic about this. Don't let me put you off... I've you've got a certain amount of natural ability, then the rest can be learned, regardless of age. I just feel that its best to choose an activity that you are suited to if you are going to do it every day for the rest of your life. If Anders was a bad luthier, would people buy his guitars? No. If Grisha was a bad player, would people buy his CDs? No. You need to have a certain aptitude for an activity, and only time and experimentation will tell you if you have this aptitude for something. In the mean time, its probably best not to make any radical decisions that you might regret at a later stage.

Jb
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 17 2006 16:55:13

[Deleted by Admins]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 17 2006 17:02:13

JBASHORUN

Lionel,
Its a question of priorities. You have to ask yourself "what will make me happy?" and only you can answer that. If that means money but little job satisfaction, then there you go. if that means poverty but lots of job satisfaction then there you go. If it means money and job satisfaction, then good luck finding it. But happiness may mean nothing to do with money or jobs for you. Maybe its having lots of pretty girlfriends or eventually having a nice family and home. Its just that for many people the issues of money and jobs are unavoidable. If you don't know what will lead to your happiness, then the best way is to "live a little" like another member said, and try to find out. Because until you know what will make you happy, its kinda hard to go about doing it.

Jb
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 17 2006 17:04:30

John O.

Sometimes people just know when something's right or should be a certain way or not at all. I'm one of those people which was never given the chance and never had the guts to stand up for it.

Since 16 I knew I wanted to play guitar. As a teacher, performer, cashier in a guitar shop - I didn't care. It was just what I did and what I was about. I brought my guitar to school everyday and played during recess, played on the train or bus to wherever I was going, didn't care what people thought. I was forced by my parents to college for 5 wasted years until I finally gave it up and made an apprenticeship for being a technical support in industrial filter sales. Hated it, but I thought "Hey, I can still play after work, and in a few years, who knows?" This "who knows" has streched out over four years and as I reach 30 I'm less able to practise 4-5 hours a day after 9 hours of work. Something's gotta happen soon.

Two years ago I met my now soon to be wife who taught me to not be afraid of taking chances or not making enough money, she made me get in touch with Frank Ihle who got my foot in the door of the local flamenco scene. I just had my first concert, it was only a flamenco school presentation, but got my name out there nevertheless and in August I give a little solo performance - if that goes well, all the better. People are contacting me about lessons without me even advertising.

It's almost like after about 13 years everything fell into place. First 5 years practising technique like a sick man, then to the rhythm and theory of flamenco, then accompanyment - just now where it's almost time to give my body a rest for good, it's happening. One more year and my fiancee will switch to full time and I'll have the time and space to give it a go. It'll work, too - I just have that feeling.

And I don't mean making records. I could care less! I just want to play guitar. It couldn't have been any other way.

Lionel, if you have that feeling music is what you were meant to do, if you fall into a deep depression whenever you can't play and have that strong, painful feeling in your gut that something is horribly wrong and life is unfair - you need to do something.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and be completely open - if I'd never come this far, I don't know if I'd be on this earth anymore.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 17 2006 17:06:38

[Deleted] (in reply to John O.

[Deleted by Admins]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 17 2006 17:18:35

JBASHORUN

Y'know, I was once given some career advice which went something like:

"Don't do what you enjoy, do what you are good at"

This is the complete opposite of the other view that:

"as long as you are doing something you enjoy, nothing else matters".

In reality, I think a balance must be met between the two: its best to do something you enjoy and are good at... thats when the magic happens.

Although some would argue that doing something you enjoy is more important than being good at it. Not sure myself...

Jb

Very inspiraing story, Juan!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 17 2006 17:38:02

duende

if i had the insurence of a steady job in andalucia i would go.
But now i even do speak spanish..so

This is hard stuff!
Don't give up...

RON
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 17 2006 17:42:14

JBASHORUN

quote:

When I am at work I read the forum and just wish I could be practicing, and then when I finally get home that feeling is long gone. This happens day after day, until I get to Saturday (when my lesson is) and I do not feel ready. Lately I have been cancelling a lot of the lessons, and I feel so bad when I do. I absolutely completely surely know that I want to play. I just feel this work is sucking life out of me. I can relate a lot to what you said. I don't know if I want to make records, I do not think I have what it takes to do that. But I do want to play. I dream about playing like the masters do.

This reminds me of myself. Always dreaming of being great, but never quite getting around to practising enough to actually become great (if that were possible). Musically, luthiery was actually a second choice for me. My first choice was being a great guitarist. And quite a few students on my luthiery course share this situation. I'll never give up playing the guitar though, and in the back of my mind there is always that hope. In the mean time...

I wish you the best of luck Lionel. Music (and Flamenco) are big subjects, and even if you don't make it as a professional guitarist there are probably many other jobs related to them which you might consider.

Jb
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 17 2006 18:09:18

[Deleted by Admins]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 17 2006 18:12:41

Miguel de Maria

Practice, practice, practice. Juan de Maguncia didn't get that good by wishful thinking...

Connect with me on Facebook, all the cool kids are doing it.
https://www.facebook.com/migueldemariaZ

Arizona Wedding Music Guitar
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 17 2006 19:20:01

Ramin

Lionel,

Thanks for bringing this thread back to life. I do think it is an important subject. Like you, I currently work as an engineer but know for a fact that I won't be doing this for the rest of my life. However, my job is VERY flexible which allows me to have more time for myself, either playing guitar or having fun in general. I know I can get MUCH higher paying jobs but I never even consider that. I think happiness is much more than just playing guitar, making lots of money, or being in a great relationship. It also depends on a sense of satisfaction that comes from within, true appreciation of what you already have, and "knowing" where you want to end up in the future. Of course, reaching that "knowing" is in itself one of the highest achievements in life. I would recommend you look for a more relaxed & flexible job and spend more time doing what you love to do and then re-examine your feeling towards your life and your career.

Ramin

What we are today comes from out thoughts of yesterday and our present thoughts build our life tomorrow: our life is the creation of our mind.
-Buddha
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 17 2006 19:45:19

JBASHORUN

quote:

But I think we need more practice than luck.

Yes, and Miguel is right. A bit more practice never hurt anyone.

Jb
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 17 2006 19:58:31

Ron.M

Well, I've read all these posts about deciding whether to be a pro Flamenco guitarist or not, whether you have the dedication, the time for practise etc.

Well, I think it would be the choice of a lot of amateur Flamenco guitarists that they'd rather be playing Flamenco professionally in Spain, with wonderful singers and dancers etc rather than do their humdrum day jobs.

Lionel, amigo...how are you going to support yourself in Spain?
You can't just arrive there with a guitar and passion for Flamenco, a bit of technique, little knowledge of accompaniment etc..and suddenly be embraced by professional artists struggling to make a living for themselves.

You've heard the albums....
In Spain you have got to be GOOD to work as a professional.
Not simply have mucho aficion.

Where are you going to live...in the streets?
(You can be sure the police will pick you up and deport you...)
Spain is a modern country.
How are you going to live...food...soap...toothpaste etc.
If you go around begging, unshaven in filthy clothes and stinking to high hell, no Flamenco is gonna want to know you!

If you are thinking about just picking up some casual day work, then I'm afraid there are a lot of Moroccans and North African illegal immigrants willing to work a 16 hour day for a few Euros who are ahead of you in the line.

These are romantic day-dreams my friend.

Get real.

Two ways you can do this practically IMO.

Either apply for a job in Spain or stick with your own job, save as much money as you possibly can and go to Spain for six months or a year and have the financial means of paying for accommodation, food, lessons etc .

If you run away from home with an air ticket and a few hundred dollars, you'll be back in the good ol' USA in two weeks.

Guaranteed.

cheers

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 17 2006 20:00:48

[Deleted by Admins]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 17 2006 20:43:11

duende

one does not have to live in spain to play flamenco at a pro level.

we got about 4 guys here doing it as a job. they go back and forth from time to time just to study and find motivation. none of them are spanish either.

This is hard stuff!
Don't give up...

RON
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 17 2006 21:08:03

Ron.M

quote:

I can also get a job there as a mechanical engineer, car repairman, spanish translator, french translator or english translator. I am fluent in all of these languages. Also, I already have money saved. So as you see, money is not even a problem with me. That is why I graduated with a ME major. As soon as you get out of college you can get a job immediately and it pays good. Plus I work for ExxonMobil, the #1 company in the world.

Sorry mate, but as you see I AM for real.

Then GO for it Lionel!!

You've actually fulfilled both of my criteria by already having money saved and willing to work as an Engineer.

Get the next flight out IMO!

(That's what I would do!)

What's holding you up?

cheers

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 17 2006 21:39:56
Page:   [1] 2    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1] 2    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages