Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Handmade Cejillas   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Useful Stuff >>Classifieds >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

ykabban

Handmade Cejillas 

A while back I began making my own cejillas, because I like the look of wood, but the traditional cejilla with the peg in the center often gets in my way. I've made a few for friends who are encouraging me to sell them.
I think they kick ass, but am unsure of a good selling price.

Could ya'll give me some feedback on what you would be willing to pay for one?
One dollar?, two dollars?, $150,000 ? Please, any feedback appreciated.

Also, if anyone is interested in one, holler at me .

Click on the thumbnail to expand image:

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 27 2006 0:50:57

Patrick

RE: Handmade Cejillas (in reply to ykabban

Cool design. Most hand mades sell in the $25 to $50 range.

This one sells for $25

http://www.stringsbymail.com/catalog/accessories/details/xxxCejilladetail.asp
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 27 2006 3:24:51

Exitao

Sell one on eBay, see what it goes for. You'll need to write it up a bit and sell it. I would like to know the following:

1. What kind of wood?
2. Is the peg ebony?
3. That's mother of pearl?
4. How much do the materials cost you?
5. How much time do you invest?

1,2 & 3 are the selling points, a little bit about the effort and TLC you put into it too.

BTW: I really would like to hear the answers to those questions if you'd take the time.
I personally like the top one on the guitar neck. It's sweet!

They're remarkably similar in design, have you built a jig for this? Could you?
Will you take special orders to customise to match a guitar colour? Or use a special inlay?

I really like that top one, if rent wasn't due next week I'd PayPal you $25 plus shipping right now. I'd still consider more later...
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 27 2006 5:09:12

hhmusic

hi, about 8 years ago, i bought a handmade cejilla - i think i got it from flamenco connection, and i seem to remember it cost $34. it had a lower profile and had the peg offset from center. both allowed easier playing next to the cejilla, especially when jumping down there fast, from say, the 4th, 5th or 7th position.

there was a guy named virgil in oklahoma making traditionally designed handmade cejillas at the time, and i asked him to copy this low profile design. i bought three of them in different woods, i think for $25 each, and i've used them exclusively since.

the nice thing about them is the leather to protect the back of the neck and to fret the strings is in two pieces. while it doesn't look as handsome as yours does, you can more easily replace either one if they get worn (the part that pads against the string will eventually get grooves in it and not fret correctly). also, because the leather strap to protect the neck moves, you can make it a little longer and can slide it up to protect the neck from contact with the nylon string, as you can see in the pic.

anyway, yours look very nice, fancier than these. i'd guess a price of $35 would have them selling well. more than $50 and i don't think you'd move many. you may spend too much time making them for that to make sense.

if you'd like to sell one, i'd buy the smallest of them, the one on the lowest fret, for that price, to try them out. (though i might end up cutting the strap into two pieces for the reason listed above.)

good luck with them. they look great.

Attachment (1)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 27 2006 6:26:36

hhmusic

here's a different view of the low profile cejillas. for me, i haven't found any better.

Attachment (1)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 27 2006 6:29:56

hhmusic

lastly, a shot showing easy access to the "first" fret. the low profile and offset peg make this as easy as if you were playing without a cejilla.

Attachment (1)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 27 2006 6:35:52

ykabban

Hey ya'll,
I have over 30 handmade cejillas that I've collected over the years, so I know what a good price would be, just not sure what it should be.

These are made with cocobolo, ebony, abalone, and leather.

hhmusic, I think you are right about the price, I have already sold a couple for $35. I have a few like yours I got from Pantoja, but they are shoe shaped with bone inlay. You're still conscious of the peg, and many players don't use their index finger in the chord you're holding, leaving it free as Ricardo does in this clip- http://michaelk101.com/todd/toddmp3/TKeRicardo.wmv

I might put one on e-bay and see what happens, but I've heard that place is full of crooks. Truth is, I spend way too much time making them for any price to make sense, but I'm a flamenco afficianado and just enjoy making them when I have free time, so I wouldn't mind selling them to fellow players .

Hey! Thanks for the great input guys !
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 27 2006 16:12:50

Doitsujin

Good idea with the cejillas in these pics! I like the looking of old cejillas, but its not confortable to use them... These ones could be good. I hope there will be more especially looking ones in future. I would buy one.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 27 2006 22:40:25

Francisco

Yk,
It appears from the pic, that you have two basic designs. One has a hole running through it, where as the other two do not. Any specific reason for the difference? How do they compare with other cejillas of this type? Let us know where/when/how much, I might be interested. Do you ever see a little more intricate design in regards to the abalone inlay?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 28 2006 1:34:13

ykabban

Hey Doit, I'm sure you would like them, I'm as finicky as they come.

Hey Samwise,
I carved one out, just for style, it looks bad ass on the guitar(can we say ass here?). I don't know of anyone that is making cejillas like this, I've never seen one, but maybe they're out there. They work as well if not better than my favorite cejillas. I might make a really fancy one, but I don't have the time. They look a lot cooler than they do in pictures. As far as the abalone thing, with the right tools it is possible to make any type of inlay you can imagine.

Thank you for your interest.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 28 2006 2:39:42

ivan

ykabban,
I would be interested in buying your cejillas. I would like to try one and take it w/ me to Jerez in late July. Let me know how much you decided to sell it for. It would be nice for others to try out your new design. Who knows, it may be real big.
Thanks,
Ivan Gomez
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 30 2006 1:18:58

ykabban

Hey Ivan,
Thank you for your interest . I've decided $35 is a good price. The ones with the carved out body-$40. If you're interested, you can e-mail me.

Un saludo
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 30 2006 2:25:49
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Useful Stuff >>Classifieds >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote