Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

cutaways...   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

JBASHORUN

cutaways... 

IMO its always made good sense for guitars to have a cutaway. It means you can have access to the upper frets should you need it. But the majority of Flamenco guitars I have seen are made WITHOUT cutaways... does anyone know if there is a reason for this? I noticed some makers don't even seem to publicize the option of having a cutaway. Another thing, does the cutaway actually affect the sound/tone?

Any informed opinions welcome.

Cheers,

James

PS: any of you luthiers making blancas or negras with cutaways?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 8 2006 11:32:01

gitano1974

RE: cutaways... (in reply to JBASHORUN

you can find some cutaway flamenco models from Alhambra and Jose Ramirez , and all those models are semi-acouistic models ..they are equiped with equilizers and stuff to work with amps.

As most flamenco guitarists prefer the true sound of the guitar , I believe the reason why cutaway is not so popular is that standalone cutaway guitars ( without amplification ) are simply guitars with less volume in the sound box. Surley this must have and impact on the acouistic output of the guitar.

Gitano
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 20 2006 5:40:34

daan

RE: cutaways... (in reply to gitano1974

I agree with my gitano friend.
Next to that i think flamenco players are not always looking for an simple solution in fingersettings and stuff (like pop guitarists for example) but they are looking for an option which gives them the best sound. How easy it is to learn the fingertricks is a second priority.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 17 2006 12:27:25

bernd

RE: cutaways... (in reply to daan

I do not agree with gitano. I think you never played a cutaway flamenca. I bet you won´t recognize just by hearing and not seeing a flamenco guitar wether it is a common or cutaway body. These nuances are maybe measureable but surely not hearable. Make a test and play 3 of the same model, 1 common and the other with cutaway body. The only advatage of the cutaway is to get playing more easy in higher position on fretboard part at the top. But do we really need this kind of help? I would say it´s more a think for guitarists coming from other music styles e. g. like jazz or rock.

Saludos
Bernd

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 17 2006 12:57:09
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll