Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Nicolas Hernandez? Any good?   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Useful Stuff >>Events >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

bahen

Nicolas Hernandez? Any good? 

He's at the Lula Lounge in June here in Toronto, and I was wondering if anyone knows anything about how he does flamenco.

Here's the link:
http://www.lula.ca/eventdescription.aspx?id=2767&index=6&weekname=TUESDAY&month=JUNE&day=6
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 29 2006 3:48:44

seanm

RE: Nicolas Hernandez? Any good? (in reply to bahen

You can sample his album on his site.

http://www.nicolashernandez.com/new/index.php

Sean
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 29 2006 18:00:10

Ron.M

RE: Nicolas Hernandez? Any good? (in reply to bahen

I think the guy has an excellent tone and feeling.
I'm always a bit suspicious about these kind of.. "fusion" players however...
I mean, why do you go into fusion?
Is it really because you have "learned" enough Flamenco for your taste and now want to move on to pastures anew?
Or is it because you have spent years and years of time and effort to acquire a half decent knowledge and technique and then realize that you haven't even got your foot on the first rung of the ladder of the best 500 Flamenco guitarists around today?

I'm not putting the guy down or anything, he's got a nice sound, very professional and polished as a guitarist.
I've never met the guy and have no idea about his motives as a musician.
He's probably a very nice guy...

quote:

He has enjoyed performing not only with Jesse Cook but also with other musicians from the world music scene such as Kiran Ahluwalia, Tasa and Irshad Khan. His contribution to recordings include Jesse’s live CD “Montreal” and Juno-nominated recordings like Sonia Collymore’s latest CD “WYSIWYG” (What you see is what you get) (actually nominated 2005 for best reggae recording) and “Firedance” with the Toronto Tabla Ensemble.

I can't really say that those credentials really impress me as a Flamenco listener though...
I mean there is a lot of image consultancy going on there IMO, with a large cast of dancers and special effects.
Meanwhile, guys like Nuñez just get up on a bare, permanently lit stage and just play...

Depends what you're into at the end of the day I suppose...

Good luck to the guy, he probably made the smart move, judging by his elaborately put together "Firedance" clip.
I actually reckon the number of Flamenco "inspired" groups and individuals will eventually outnumber the genuine Flamenco artists IMO.
It seems to be growing exponetially each year judging by what I hear on the Radio/TV.

cheers

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 29 2006 21:00:35
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Useful Stuff >>Events >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll