Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: modern vs traditional   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 2 [3] 4 5    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

BarkellWH

RE: modern vs traditional (in reply to mark indigo

Although I am on record as favoring what is perceived to be the traditional over the modern, I agree that the line of separation is sometimes difficult to determine. For example, I think most would think of Ramon Montoya as "traditional" and today's players who incorporate other instruments as "modern." Yet, I have a double-CD set entitled "Ramon Montoya: El Genio de la Guitarra Flamenca, Grabaciones Historicas 1923-1936, in which he performs six pieces accompanied by a saxaphone. I don't think many of us normally frame Ramon Montoya and saxaphones in the same mental picture.

Cheers,

Bill
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 6 2009 9:43:02

Andy Culpepper

RE: modern vs traditional (in reply to ricecrackerphoto

quote:

For a tradition to exist it has to be handed on, and will evolve as it does so, that is the nature of any tradition, so therefore whatever is "modern" must be part of the "tradition" because otherwise what you are calling "tradition" is not a tradition, it is "historical"

I think you hit the nail on the head there. Ramon Montoya was modern during his time. Camaron definitely was. Most new artists who make a strong impact get a lot of flack.

It's rediculous to dismiss new artists...I'm sure no one here wants flamenco to be a museum piece.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 6 2009 10:06:54

Arash

RE: modern vs traditional (in reply to BarkellWH

the only thing i can add to this thread, is that the more time passes by, the more different styles and different guitarists and cantaors are added in my favourites list. both, traditional and modern.

it was a time, where i only could listen to some particular cante style and voices (only a few), but recently something happened (i don't know what), and i am beginning to like voices and styles which i couldn't stand few months ago (and of course years ago).

i guess finally i will like each and everyone (except ottmar liebert ;-))

flamenco is really a never ending journey and i think whoever has a FIXED and unchangeable idea of what he likes or dislikes, is limited and will miss a lot.

ones mind should be always kept open in flamenco imo, there is so much to discover, in both directions ->past (traditional) -> now and future (modern).

it is sometimes frustrating to read some "close-minded" comments, like traditional is the only "real" flamenco (and of course vice versa...modern players who make fun of the traditional players), but i admit that i was one of these closed minded guys too and thought that most of the traditional guitar players just play 3 chords and call it "the real thing"... (and maybe i still am a bit close-minded), but my attitude is always changing and improving imo.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 6 2009 11:46:43

Doitsujin

RE: modern vs traditional (in reply to ricecrackerphoto

To be serious... I like both traditional and modern. But I prefer listening to modern (always most recent) guitar CDs because they are much more interesting and have more to offer than traditional stuff. I want to get suprised with every new CD I listen too. When I would hear some traditional strumming that were already noodled up and down by any amateur I know, including me... than I wont put the track on my mp3. Coz its hell boooring...

Singing is a different shoe. I like the older singers much more than the recent ones with some exceptions. .. But I can also live without listening to singers at all.. no problem for me. Because Im not interested in digging anymore into the whooole flamenco thing... Im just interested in guitar-MUSIC with flamenco background. The so called purists can grind down my hunchback with their weird opinion... ^^
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 6 2009 12:50:13

mark indigo

RE: modern vs traditional (in reply to Andy Culpepper

here's a coupla other thoughts;

to some people, Diego Del Gastor is/was "traditional" and Sabicas and Niño Ricardo are/were "modern"

to others, Diego, Saba and Ricardo are/were all "traditional" and "modern" is Paco De Lucia and Manolo Sanlucar

but when does "modern" start?

is it with Paco, Manolo and Serranito in the 1970's?

or is it with Rafael Riqueni, Manolo Franco and Gerardo Nuñez (et al) in the eighties?

Or is it Vicente Amigo in the nineties?

To some people "modern" means Jesús De Rosario, José Manuel León, Antón Jiménez (ie the "noughties")
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 7 2009 6:26:35

Ricardo

RE: modern vs traditional (in reply to runner

quote:

ORIGINAL: runner

Ricardo, in your last post, you wrote,"In my experience, there are few who really appreciate modern flamenco guitar...... There should be way more folks tolerant of the modern players on a flamenco forum IMO."

Could you expand a little on this? My sense is that this Foro is almost completely dominated by, first, those whose interest in flamenco is overwhelmingly about guitar, and, second, whose interest is in those very modern players that you feel are not appreciated enough. If one compares the numbers of posts and posters on this Foro to those of the tiny handful of forums dealing with Old School, this Foro blows the rest out of the water, in terms of sheer numbers, and, I presume, appreciation of modern players.

runner

Correct about guitar being the focus. Second thing is about many people being interested in modern players is true in general, but there is a distinction to be made. They are generally interested in "modern" players and at the same time the traditional players. So why make it seem like it is not possible to be into traditional playing if your favorite is some modern guy? I can only think of a few, Florian Doit, and no one else off hand who openly admits to NOT liking traditional players AS MUCH as modern ones.

On the other hand, over the years, the number of people who have vocalized a lack of interest or tolerance for "modern" or "nuevo" or "technical" or "jazzy new age" flamenco, as they percieve it, is quite large IMO, relative to the two guys above. I would say the reason it SEEMS that modern flamenco lovers dominate, is because in the mind of the old school lovers, it does not make any sense how someone could accept both traditional and modern flamenco as to be part of the same genre. You can either have a taste for this or that, not both...and more confusing to that mind set, how can one not see there is a clear division???? Again, that mind set resulted in the split of the forum...not between modern lovers vs trad lovers....but from those who generally view flamenco guitar as a single evolved art form (this forum in general) and those that view classical flamenco guitar as a separate genre, the dividing line specifically being Paco de lucia.

I am not saying that in this forum it is a requirement to like all and every player in the history of flamenco, I am just saying there are many around who still have that division in their tastes and minds. We all draw a personal line somewhere.

quote:

Ricardo, one can recognize the influence of Ramon Montoya in Tomatito's playing and still appreciate Ramon Montoya's toque more than and above that of Tomatito's. Likewise, one may appreciate Tomatito's more than and above that of Ramon Montoya's. It is a matter of personal preference. There is no logical inconsistency in either position.

i agree with you 100%. You can understand and recognize something and still NOT like it, of course!!! But something is missing there too, you can actually like BOTH players. And you can even like them both if you DONT see the connection. My point of the analogy was not about liking or prefering an artitst or not.

I was generalizing that the types of folks who are not tolerant of modern flamenco, and write off modern players as "not flamenco" or as jazz or whatever, usually don't hear the connection to players they DO recognize and like. That is usually why they dont' like it.

For example: "I like sabicas. Tomatito is too jazzy for me. Paco Peña? Oh yeah he is good too."

To me all 3 guys stole A LOT from Ramon Montoya, and in many ways flat out note for note. But it is not simply artist inspiration and borrowing of ideas, those musical or technical details define the art form in general!!!

Regardless if they like or don't like the modern artist, those connections exist in the music. As Arash posted above about himself, i think it is totally true that the more you study, the deeper you go into it, not only do you start appreciating things you did not have a taste for earlier, you actually end up with a bigger list of players you DO like. So many things in flamenco are an acquired taste, acquired by listening and learning and being open to the stuff. The concept of modern VS traditional, to me, is a close minded concept that does not leave much room for acquiring taste.

Oh to Doit about the juerga...it is a way to really help with rhythm IMO, assuming you are doing the juerga with high level people. Very important for getting detail of rhythm and feel, tonos for the singer, improvising etc etc....all you can't learn so immediately and solidly in your room with videos, music, and a metronome. And most important...it can inspire creativity. Sure many things can too, but never cancel out on something that might be inspiring.

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 7 2009 6:32:08

mark indigo

RE: modern vs traditional (in reply to Ricardo

quote:

the more you study, the deeper you go into it, not only do you start appreciating things you did not have a taste for earlier, you actually end up with a bigger list of players you DO like

the more i learn, the more i discover there is to learn....
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 7 2009 8:01:44

Ailsa

RE: modern vs traditional (in reply to mark indigo

quote:

the more i learn, the more i discover there is to learn....

yup, couldn't agree more. It's sort of frustrating and exciting all at the same time I take two steps forward only to discover there are thousands more!

http://www.flamencojourney.com
http://www.myspace.com/flamencojourney
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 7 2009 8:04:26

Stoney

Wow - I knew resurrecting this thread would be a hot potatoe.

My last words on the topic.

In the film "Bring on the night" Sting, who at the time was trying to do a Jazz Popular music fusion says something like "the weakness of pop music is that it only draws on itself for influence and therefore rarely evolves - like a snake chasing its own tail it must one day die." (paraphasing here, not a quotation but you get the idea)

If you believe that philosophy, then the contrary would also see true, that for any style of music to grow and evolve it must have outside influences.

quote:

For a tradition to exist it has to be handed on, and will evolve as it does so, that is the nature of any tradition, so therefore whatever is "modern" must be part of the "tradition" because otherwise what you are calling "tradition" is not a tradition, it is "historical"

I also agree with this previous comment made here on this thread. However, one is not necessarily handing on a tradition by ONLY learning note for note the "big name" artist of the day without delving into some of the works of the older players.

Now, a generalization.
100% Traditional Flamenco cannot be anything except Flamenco.
50 / 50 - 60 / 40 - 70 / 30 % Traditional and Modern Flamenco mix will still be Flamenco.
100% Modern Flamenco could possibly be anything BUT Flamenco.

Spanish and Latin culture and language are so totally relative to region that what is Salsa dancing in one country could be completely unrecognizable in another. The same goes for language. So I'd have to agree with the poster who mentioned that we must take our cues from the people living and playing Flamenco in Andalusia and Spain today.

I really tried to bring this topic home for the "Local" flamenco player. I've yet to see a CD out of Spain that completely ignores the traditional. (within the modern flamenco world - the nuevo flamenco is a complete different conversation)

It would be safe to say that if you studied Flamenco for 10 years, went to Andalusia and they told you you were doing it all wrong you'd pretty much have to take their word for it, NO? Or what? "Well that's how we play bulerias is Assbackwards Arkansas so what do these gypsies know?

Stoney
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 7 2009 9:03:25

Stoney

I wrote a whole thing and then the internet connection died so here's the shorter version.

Sting once said that pop music is like a snake chasing its tail. Since it doesn't regularly take in outside influence, it never grows.

Therefore, Flamenco does and must incorportate new things, harmony, instruments etc. as it is a vibrant growing evolving musical form. Logical.

My original post was largely aimed at "Local" musicians. I've yet to hear a "Modern" Flamenco CD from Spain that completely ignores the traditional. (Modern, not Nuevo - that's a whole other conversation) If you have no, zero, none, zippo, zilch, nil, nada tradtional Flamenco in your playing, you're probably not playing flamenco.

100% tradtional will always be recognized as Flamenco.
50/50 - 60 /40 etc. % Traditional and Modern will still be recognized as Flamenco.
100% modern flamenco may not be recognizable and may or may not be Flamenco at all.

As for the person who stated that we take our cues from the folk in Andlusica and Spaing who are playing flamenco today, I have to agree. (or 2nd hand or 3rd hand from people taking their cues from these same people) If you study for 10 years and then go to Andalusia and they tell you you are doing it all wrong, you'd pretty much have take them at their word. Or what, "that's the way we play bluerias in Assbackward Arkansas!" I think not.

Stoney
PS no offense to the good people of Assbackward Arkansas, I hear they are a real nice bunch!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 7 2009 9:21:37

XXX

RE: modern vs traditional (in reply to Stoney

quote:

ORIGINAL: Stoney
100% Traditional Flamenco cannot be anything except Flamenco.
50 / 50 - 60 / 40 - 70 / 30 % Traditional and Modern Flamenco mix will still be Flamenco.
100% Modern Flamenco could possibly be anything BUT Flamenco.

Thats the same thinking like traditional and modern have nothing to do with each other. Otherwise you wouldnt need to "mix" them.

quote:

It would be safe to say that if you studied Flamenco for 10 years, went to Andalusia and they told you you were doing it all wrong you'd pretty much have to take their word for it, NO? Or what? "Well that's how we play bulerias is Assbackwards Arkansas so what do these gypsies know?

If you study for 10 years and ANYBODY says that its "all wrong", then you must be doing at least something wrong. Maybe this will sound shocking, but there are actually one or two people outside spain that have an ear for flamenco guitar. Besides, the thought that any art form could have an "owner" (like copyright or patent) is totally absurd in my eyes. It is something that the western music industry has overcome. Nobody mocks about chinese piano players. I could likewise use non-gipsy, non-spanish flamencos as example (Antonio Rey is born in Mexico, right?), who are accepted by everyone.

Фламенко
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 7 2009 9:40:05

Arash

RE: modern vs traditional (in reply to XXX

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deniz

If you study for 10 years and ANYBODY says that its "all wrong", then you must be doing at least something wrong.

or maybe you did it right, and those who tell you that its all wrong, are wrong :)
(or maybe they just had a bad day, or maybe they mean something else...)

btw, í am sure that we have the same discussions amoung the spanish people IN ANDALUSIA.

for instance some spanish purists who would say to some young spanish modern guitarists that ITS ALL WRONG, even though what they probably mean is maybe just that they prefer traditional "old school" instead of modern ;-)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 7 2009 10:31:17

Ron.M

quote:

If you study for 10 years and ANYBODY says that its "all wrong", then you must be doing at least something wrong.

Yeah Deniz,

But you can study the wrong thing for 10 years.

I've actually heard players like that.

As Ricardo says "Practise makes Permanent....not Perfect."

All the other stuff about having to be Gitano etc is just BS.

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 7 2009 10:53:58

Stoney

There's flamenco that anyone can recognize or mistake as flamenco and then there's Flamenco that's functional.

I for one have seen a ton of folks that can play like demons and have no bloody idea what it is they are doing. Put them with a singer or dancer or even another guitarist and they are useless. And then again, who can say that the dancers have the slightest clue either? After all, if it was easy, anyone would do it.

I for one will be sure I know what I'm doing once I have lived in Spain for a while.

Case in point, my sister in law who studied dance in Spain asked me to accompany her class. She asked me to play "La llamada por bulerias" and I had no idea what she was talking about. So I asked both players in my hometown who were more advanced than me. They had no clue.

Whoever said that this music comes from Andalusia and we take our cues from them was more than 100% right. Anyone ever hear of a Flamenco guitarist who learned back in the 60s because they could read music and got some of the earliest transcipts. I'd hate to have one of those guys for a teacher.

quote:

"Practise makes Permanent....not Perfect."

There's that too. Don't get me wrong, there are some great players on this site from what I've seen and KUDOS if it turns out they are all doing it right, but who am I to judge? and let's face it, there are more ways to do it wrong than there are to do it right.

I just came from a Christmas party here in Mexico where everybody danced Salsa steps to every style of latin music and they all thought they were dancing correctly. Culture can be perverted, changed and watered down, the feeling can get lost and / or one can be over generous with one's own critique. Ot the Gypsy King sindrome. They believe they ARE playing Flamenco. (as per another post)

Of course this is only partly relative to the traditional vs. modern dialogue. You can butcher the style with traditional as easlily as you can with modern, espectially where dancers and singers come in.

Overall, I just prefer to be humble and say I know nothing about Flamenco. Then at least if I do have a moment, it's humble. Again, I'd rather master Sabicas than mangle Tomatito.

Stoney
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 7 2009 12:31:19

XXX

RE: modern vs traditional (in reply to Stoney

well Stoney, this is my last post in that matter...

you can trust me that for each flamenco player there exist hundreds of people who somehow hesitate to learn flamenco because

they are not gipsy
or spanish
dont have the right flamenco guitar
or the nails
they think they have no rhythm
there is no flamenco teacher

sorry, if this is sounding harsh, but im just honest. If you dont know what a llamada is and you cant recognize it when you hear or see it in dance, then moving to spain wont help you.

Фламенко
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 7 2009 13:10:41

Doitsujin

quote:

Oh to Doit about the juerga...it is a way to really help with rhythm IMO, assuming you are doing the juerga with high level people. Very important for getting detail of rhythm and feel, tonos for the singer, improvising etc etc....all you can't learn so immediately and solidly in your room with videos, music, and a metronome. And most important...it can inspire creativity. Sure many things can too, but never cancel out on something that might be inspiring.

I agree on that. Well,.. I played for many years for dance and singing.. Often there was also a singer at the danceclases. That was my chance to learn improvising, rhythm,..etc.. Most of the juergas I joined were as I told... Bad. :./
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 7 2009 13:23:33

aeolus

The only flamenco CD I have that is not by a Spaniard is one of Steve Kahn who spent 2 years living in Morón de la Frontera in 1967 learning the art Diego del Gastor. One may assume that hearing gypsy flamenco daily for that period would be superior to learning from a tutor perhaps 3000 miles away. If there is a non Andalusian flamenco player at the top of the charts, I am not aware of it and until one such appears, I will continue to believe that some cultural affinity is a prerequisite for an authentic performance.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 7 2009 13:35:50

mark indigo

quote:

people who somehow hesitate to learn flamenco because

they are not gipsy
or spanish
dont have the right flamenco guitar
or the nails
they think they have no rhythm
there is no flamenco teacher

what never fails to amaze me is that these sort people often think it will help them somehow to learn to read music in order learn flamenco....
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 7 2009 14:04:20

John O.

quote:

sorry, if this is sounding harsh, but im just honest. If you dont know what a llamada is and you cant recognize it when you hear or see it in dance, then moving to spain wont help you.

A lot of people don't have the patience. As far as my ear and copying things I hear go I've always been an extremely quick learner - improvisation and dance accompanyment didn't work right off the bat for me, the basics took quite a while actually.

If you don't have the patience to spend at least a couple of intense years on something, then it just wasn't meant to be...

Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 7 2009 14:45:30

Güiro

RE: modern vs traditional (in reply to aeolus

quote:

If there is a non Andalusian flamenco player at the top of the charts, I am not aware of it and until one such appears, I will continue to believe that some cultural affinity is a prerequisite for an authentic performance.

have you heard of Chicuelo? he's from Barcelona.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 7 2009 15:47:38

Pimientito

quote:

If there is a non Andalusian flamenco player at the top of the charts, I am not aware of it and until one such appears, I will continue to believe that some cultural affinity is a prerequisite for an authentic performance.

Oh come on....this a tired argument now

Apart from Chicuelo there are many top artists like Miguel Poveda, Mayte Martin, Montsé Cortes..... and guitarists such as El Viejín or Ramon Jiminez from Santander. These artists prove you dont need to be Andalucian, Gypsy or even Spanish to play and excell in flamenco any more. Flamenco has become much bigger then that. I agree that cultural affinity is a must and so is work dedication but this same old stereotypical argument that it must be "in your blood" to be authentic is like trying to say you cant get a good pizza outside of Rome.
When Dutch guitarist Tino Vandersman played at the prestigious corral de carbon Festival in Granada this year he got a 10 minute standing ovation by an audience of Spanish afficionados. They didnt mind at all that he was tall, blond and not Andalucian!

Follow my blog http://pimientito.wordpress.com/

"Ceremonial" by Mark Shurey "Pimientito". CD and digital download vailable on Amazon and
CDbaby. http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/markshurey
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 8 2009 0:44:53

aeolus

RE: modern vs traditional (in reply to Pimientito

Maybe I should have said non-Spanish players... And I would like to fing out more on Tino Vandersman but there is nothing on Youtube and googling I find little. But I'll keep looking.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 8 2009 2:27:01

John O.

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Dec. 8 2009 2:42:02
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 8 2009 2:40:42

John O.

You should find a Youtube performance of his, I know there is one.

The Spanish afficionados are of course not gonna start filling their charts with foreign flamenco players, still there are great players all over the world. And the arguement that Gypsies or Andalusian flamencos can do it better is BS. Here in Germany there are Spanish who do it less well and Germans who are fabulous as well as vice versa, the deciding factor is growing up with the music and the art, that is ALL.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 8 2009 2:51:44

gerundino63

Here is the myspace page from Tino
http://www.myspace.com/tinovandersman

Here is a page from his precent band
http://tino.flamencito.com/

His name is spelled like this: Tino van der Sman
It will help you search easyer

Peter

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 8 2009 3:03:16

aeolus

RE: modern vs traditional (in reply to John O.

quote:

the deciding factor is growing up with the music and the art, that is ALL.

I guess that is what I was driving at and doing just that is a lot easier being Andalusian! Someone posted clips of gypsy children playing, singing and dancing a a very early age.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 8 2009 4:44:06

aeolus

RE: modern vs traditional (in reply to gerundino63

quote:

His name is spelled like this: Tino van der Sman
It will help you search easyer

Thanks Peter. The pieces he has posted on his site are lovely. He gets a nice sound from his guitar.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 8 2009 4:46:28

gerundino63

Hi Aeolus,

Tino plays a Valeriano Bernal

Peter

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 8 2009 6:45:45

Andy Culpepper

There is no genetic component to it whatsoever.
The reason Andalusian and Spanish players dominate the genre is because they grew up with the music and started playing at an early age. Also many of them come from families of Flamenco musicians where they learn to sing, dance, play, do palmas, everything at a young age.

It's just like learning a language. As a foreigner you can get all the vocab, grammar and everything easy enough but how long does it take to get your accent to the point that you're indistinguishable from a native speaker? It's hard but it can be done, sure.

But obviously the people who grew up speaking the language have a head start. We all learn everything better as children, that's a scientific fact. The rest of us just have to work a little harder.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 8 2009 7:12:04

John O.

quote:

I guess that is what I was driving at and doing just that is a lot easier being Andalusian! Someone posted clips of gypsy children playing, singing and dancing a a very early age.

No kidding, it's around every corner over there...

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 8 2009 7:12:40
Page:   <<   <   1 2 [3] 4 5    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 2 [3] 4 5    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote