Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: modern vs traditional   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2] 3 4 5    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Miguel de Maria

RE: modern vs traditional (in reply to ricecrackerphoto

I think I get what you mean. I have studied classical harmony but not jazz. So you're saying, for example, that a D7 functions as the dominant in the key of G but as a V of V in C. Same chord, but different function. Whether or not that chord was known in flamenco, say, it is now different and "jazzy" because of the way it is only now being used.

So, to extrapolate, Paco and his followers have added a whole new slew of "jazzy" language to flamenco, which changes it, even to the untutored ear, even if the chords are not new. Another example might be that although everyone already knew Am G F E Dm C Bb, that playing it as Am Dm G C F Bb E (for example) is using these chords in a new function and is thus "new sound" (well this is an old example right).

If that is what you are saying, I get it... to me it is new colors and shades, the same thing with new clothes. I can also see why modern flamenco is so appealing to the intellectual guitarist because there is so much detail and complexity in every step now. Pedro Cortes told me that he is constantly studying new harmonies and scales because it's essential to do so (like how I always drop names? :)).

I have to admit that bossa chord progressions stump me, though. I need to study them because I love them, especially when they have descending basslines with lots of tasty chords.

Connect with me on Facebook, all the cool kids are doing it.
https://www.facebook.com/migueldemariaZ

Arizona Wedding Music Guitar
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 4 2006 20:41:47

[Deleted] (in reply to Miguel de Maria

[Deleted by Admins]

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 4 2006 21:39:33

Ricardo

RE: modern vs traditional (in reply to Guest

quote:

and therefore has been an indirect influence on Paco.

Well I have no problem with indirect influence, in fact alot of that was what I had in the orginal post. Paco had influence of sound and style Brazillian/Jazz fusion, etc. More often than not what he used was the specific personal nuanes of the musician he worked with. For example Paco plays Mclaughlin things, but he is not thinking like a jazz player at all. He does not compose with the idea of harmony that McLaughlin has. He goes for a sound and explores with his fingers and ear, but jazz players know where one chord goes relative to another.
Paco's chord usage is about what his fingers like to do, the flamenco way, not the standard jazz style comping one would learn in Jazz school. Even in 1996 concert with trio he still plays the same way, not doing the voicings of chords Mc and Dimeola use. You think he is still nervous after all these years?
I too understand when someone describes a flamenco player as "jazzy" more or less what he means, but the orginal question Trad vs modern I felt was trying to get at more than the generalizations.

quote:

Rhythm is very important but if you took all the modern harmony(which comes directly or indirectly from jazz IMO) out of flamenco it would sound closer to the traditional.

You mean, leave the synchopation in and remove or simplfy the "jazz" harmonies of modern flamenco would result in more "traditional sounding" flamenco? Noway in my opinion. That is the whole thing I was getting at. Rhythm is WAY more important than that in defining modern flamenco. Play Escudero/Sabicas/R. Montoya music note for note, but throw in the synchopation/dynamics and it is gonna sound "jazzy" or at least modern to many.

G7/D-Db7b5-C. You keep giving the same ii-V-I with tritone sub, brazillian walk down move. I already admited it was a colorful substitute for the old school chromatics common in old school flamenco. And in my orginal post I sited this kind of thing as an exception related to Brazillian guitar. There are alot better candidates for trying to find the jazz mind at work in flamenco guitar. And normal trad flamenco uses often very interesting dissonance and chromatic voice leadings that have nada to do with jazz. But guys like Pedro Cortes read and write and study music and do fusions deliberately, as do many others that have caught the "Jazz" bug. Alot of guys in flamenco, w/out schooling, searching for the "jazz" sound or cool harmonies, have made up their own thing, their own "grips" on the fingerboard. Trying to anazlyze from the point of view of jazz style "changes" is pointless, just because it sounds "jazzy".

How would you describe the function of this chord in A phrygian (related to flamenco) and where in jazz/Brazillian have you seen it used that it could have come from to influence modern flamenco? One of paco's favorites. You think Mclaughlin taught him? I dont think so.

Bar 3rd fret, G-Db-F-C-D-G, then resolve to A, any way you want, scale down, arp, Bb-A or Bb7-A, etc.

I honestly believe flamenco guitar, modern or traditional has it's OWN vocabulary, perhaps inspired by the sounds of Spanish classical, American Jazz, fusion, Brazillian, Argentina, whatever, but ultimately FUNCTIONING it's own way in the context of flamenco. Fingering of chords is a big part of the style, more important than harmonic purpose as learned in theory books or learned for the sake of comping to a chart.

Ricardo

PS, thinking about ii-V-I, I realize when accomp. cante how the "cambios" often have chromatic walk downs in traditional accompaniment. For example, in A phrygian the voice gives B in the scale and the guitar typically plays E7, then resolves to something else like Bb-A, or C7-F. And when doing C7-F, no one ever put the F# in the bass on the way down before 1980 you think? I will hunt when I get a chance.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 4 2006 22:40:37

Stoney

I was thinking of starting a post like this one, maybe with a different slant but since the search function seems to be working today I'll just add my 2 cents on to this thread.

What the hell is Jazzy? I remember when I first started to play guitar oh so many years ago, playing folk and Rock stuff we all shunned "Jazz Chords."

I have since come to realize that they really don't exist at all. What does exist is Jazz voicings of chords. As do Flamenco voicings of chords.

A lot of folk music doesn't move much beyond your Major and Minor chords with a few 7th and dominant 7th chords thrown in for coloring. Obviously that's limited.

All the possible combinations of notes and chords were all figured out long ago by folks like Beethoven and Mozart and Bach. These chord extensions (adding the 7th, 9th, 11th, 13th etc. etc. to the Major and minor chords) and exploring the harmonic possiblities these chords imply would be the big difference between Modern and tradtional Flamenco.

Aside from that, what is new in Modern Flamenco (to my humble ear and IMHO) are the chord voicings that have a Jazzy sound - (for want of a better way to describe them) Whereas years ago a Flamenco guitarist might have played the same G minor chord as any other guitarist, we now have voicings that give a new and different feel to Modern Flamenco. Great. I particularly love the dissonant voicings that mix fretted notes with open strings.

My favorite guitarists (aside from Paco de Lucia and Tomatito) are more traditional. Yet they take traditional to the limit. Victor Monge Serranito and Pepe Romero for example definitley play(ed) with an awesome intensity. They pushed the traditional to the limit.

Someone on this thread mentioned that modern isn't necessarily better. I couldn't agree more. There is just as much (if not more) BAD modern Flamenco out there as there is BAD or Boring traditional stuff.

Obviously PDL and Tomatito keep the Tradition while expanding the form. I've heard many players (mostly semi-professional American players - some flogging their own CDs, some not) who stood on the shoulders of giants without ever really learning traditional Falsetas nor mastering more than the prefered toques (Bulerias, Solea, and Tangos are big ones with the cheaters)

Then they fill in their shows with Rumbas Rumbas Rumbas, Sevillanas, and any other simple toque. Also, they love to do another players piece "note for note." It's Flamenco for god's sake, not top 40.

Meanwhile, whole toques are going out of style. What the hell is wrong with playing Malaguenas - Verdiales - Tientos - Zambra Mora - Alegrias in La etc. etc?

Finally, a fallasy - Flamencos have been improvising FOREVER - just not in the lead guitar style of "Entre dos Aguas." They improvise falsettas that are in compas.

I might suck as a Flamenco guitarist (and at this point on my $80 classical there's little doubt that I do) and my level these days may be just slightly better than Ottmar Liebert, but I can hardly remember a single falsetta. I have to rely almost 100% on improvisation. Luckily I have enough background and understanding of theory to just let it fly, play off the cuff and invent an improvised falsetta. 50% of the time I blow it, have to go back and re-think my original idea, work it out until I get something I can keep which IS in compas.

In closing, I for one would rather hear someone play a loose and improvised Flameco piece in the traditional style than hear someone execute a Vicente Amigo piece note for note.

Stoney
PS. I read most of the posts on this thread. If I'm regurgitating points already made, my apologies.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 4 2009 9:42:29

Ron.M

RE: modern vs traditional (in reply to Stoney

quote:

Someone on this thread mentioned that modern isn't necessarily better. I couldn't agree more. There is just as much (if not more) BAD modern Flamenco out there as there is BAD or Boring traditional stuff.

Yeah, exactly..

Good post IMO Stoney...

You've got a good ear.

quote:

Victor Monge Serranito and Pepe Romero for example definitley play(ed) with an awesome intensity.

I'd even go futher back than that, Stoney, to Manuel Morao, Niño Jero etc...and now the younger (getting older) guys, like Moraito and Diego Amaya etc...and the new blood, like Diego del Morao etc..

It's very difficult to pick a "top of the pops" player in Flamenco IMO.

There are so many good players who have done some really good stuff at some time...even if it's only a falseta or two, or a great rasgueado or phrase.

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 4 2009 10:14:33

BarkellWH

RE: modern vs traditional (in reply to Stoney

I am glad you resurrected this thread from 2006, Stoney, because the question of "traditional" vs. "modern" is one that comes up all the time, both in terms of technique and preference. I appreciate the modern (however one describes it, "jazzy," "progressive," etc.) for what it is. And the old days, when a lone flamenco guitarist playing solo in front of an audience (a la Sabicas, Carlos Montoya, and others) probably would not cut it for today's audiences, particularly the younger set. It just wouldn't sell sufficient tickets in places like the Kennedy Center, or even the annual flamenco festival at Lisner Auditorium here in Washington, DC. I suspect most of younger people prefer the modern because they associate it with so-called "world music."

Nevertheless, I definitely prefer the traditional when I'm thinking and feeling "flamenco-ish." I particularly prefer a guitarist accompanying traditional cante. I strive to play much more in the vein of early Paco Cepero than I do any of today's headliners. There is a youtube video of a young Paco Cepero accompanying Turronero and Camaron de la Isla (sequentially) in a Buleria. They are at a table with a very young Paco de Lucia (with his back to the camera most of the time). It was filmed about 40 years ago, and, in my opinion, it is a wonderful example of what flamenco is all about. I don't have the link at hand, but if you type in the key words "Paco Cepero y Camaron de la Isla" you will be directed to a series of videos and can find it.

Cheers,

Bill
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 4 2009 12:15:31

KMMI77

For people who have not seen this. Here is some great traditional bulerias played by Paco de amparo. The nephew of Diego del Gastor. Great feel! I love traditional flamenco when it is played like this.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 4 2009 16:18:18

Arash

RE: modern vs traditional (in reply to KMMI77

quote:

ORIGINAL: KMMI77

For people who have not seen this. Here is some great traditional bulerias played by Paco de amparo. The nephew of Diego del Gastor. Great feel! I love traditional flamenco when it is played like this.

agree.
excellent example of traditional style, played solid and with lot of feeling.
amazing guitarist.
thanks for the video

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 5 2009 1:00:26

michel

RE: modern vs traditional (in reply to KMMI77

Thanks for sharing Kris!
Absolutely Great, this is my new Nr. 1 Buleria
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 5 2009 1:40:33

mark indigo

RE: modern vs traditional (in reply to BarkellWH

i have a major problem with the title of the thread, the idea that these two things should be "versus" each other. really, i think they co-exist alongside each other, often within the same family (think Melchor and Enrique in the Rito Y G vid) - i'm really uncomfortable with anyone who takes either side and spits on the other, both views are extreme, limited and generally bad IMO

to me the "modern" styles are developments from the older styles, and as such they include the older styles within them - often you get a falseta that uses some unusual chording, arpegio's and syncopation, and then winds up with a powerful pulgar ligado that could be lifted from an older player's repertoire.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 5 2009 8:13:17

Ailsa

RE: modern vs traditional (in reply to mark indigo

I agree with mark on this. Obviously I'm a bit of a newbie at arranging, but what I'm working on atm in arrangements is: something traditional to establish what palo we are in, and then interspersing more modern and experimental bits. I think it works great. When you move into traditional bits, you feel that warmth of recognition, and when you move into something more off-the-wall, you think, yeah that's interesting. So I don't feel any one piece has to be either all modern or all traditional. Mix and match is interesting too.

http://www.flamencojourney.com
http://www.myspace.com/flamencojourney
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 5 2009 8:29:52

Ricardo

This topic always frustrates me too. I feel I have to write an essay every time just to be clear about where I am coming from on this issue. I am really tired of it now 3 years later. Now I simply say if you think modern flamenco is jazz, and that is why you don't go to any concert of it, then you probably don't understand either genre much at all. I don't feel a need anymore to educate folks on this. More so, I feel I am the one who gets educated by about the folks that have an opinion about it. For example:

Stoney: prefers to hear traditional style (what he percieves it as anyway) improvised then a note for note rendition of a "modern" flamenco piece. And Pepe Romero was pushing the boundaries of traditional flamenco? Well it says a lot to me about how and what you listen to interms of guitar. Nothing at all wrong with it, just revealing.

Ron: Your list of guitarists that have old and modern elements you actually like, well, they are all from only one school or style of playing. The Jerez school. And even family relatives Not saying I disagree, it just reveals to me what your tastes have shifted to lately.

And the Washingtonian who sees a problem with a solo guitarists filling a concert hall. Well even in the old days, and the same true today, the audience filling a concert hall for a solo player is an audience of CLASSICAL guitar aficionados. Not flamenco aficionados. Recently people seemed confused about an old record compilation that included both Segovia AND manitas, but the audience for solo guitar was more or less the same types. A modern player can't fill a hall because he has a "back up group". And the kennedy center? I think Paco de lucia is the only flamenco player who played there in years (concert hall I mean not millenium stage), and can do so because of international reputation. He could still fill it if he choose to play totally alone, old or new music would not make much difference...but he would have to play entre dos aguas.

And about Cepero? Another Jerezano, you could add him to Ron's list. Also Parrilla. Good tasty stuff, modern or trad is not really the issue, it is much more specific thing you guys are after interms of your tastes. I think that is a good thing, so long as you keep open ears to other styles or "schools". Same thing happens to the Diego fans, they get caught up in that personal style, as if just his style defines traditional flamenco.

And Mark says modern is not the enemy of the old school, and the two coexist just fine today. That says a lot to me about what HE understands about the history and evolution of flamenco guitar IN GENERAL.

Ricardo

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 5 2009 8:51:38

Andy Culpepper

It's true that everyone has their own idea of what Flamenco "is" or "should be". Especially non-Spaniards who are not connected to it as a living folk music every day of their lives, ie going to Peñas, juergas etc.

People get very confused by what they hear on commercial recordings that sound very experimental and modern and this causes some to retreat into a cave of "anything done after the 1960s is not flamenco".

For me, I have my own tastes, but I certainly don't feel I have the right to judge the "current state of flamenco".

The only way you can get a feel for what Flamenco, or "modern flamenco" is, is to go to Andalucia and observe the people there making their music in Peñas and juergas. Like it or not, Andalucians are the ones who define what Flamenco is, and the rest of us just have to follow their lead.

People get afraid that "real flamenco is dead" because of what they hear on commercial records. Believe me, it's not.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 5 2009 9:12:11

BarkellWH

RE: modern vs traditional (in reply to Ricardo

This Washingtonion does not wish to belabor the point, but in 1979, I attended a concert in the Kennedy Center concert hall, in which Carlos Montoya performed solo the entire evening. One can say what one wishes about Carlos Montoya and his reputation among flamencos, but the concert hall was filled to capacity with an audience that was there to hear (at least what they perceived to be) flamenco guitar. They most definitely were not an audience of classical guitar afficionados.

Cheers,

Bill
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 5 2009 9:24:53

XXX

Fact is, this is one of the most productive threads on the foro. Really alot of good info. I would have wished you to investigate further if there is a "jazz function" of a chord or a progression, and a flamenco (modern/trad) function, and what exactly would be the function. I understand that part with the complete absence of a chart in flamenco. I only learned to play a dozen Jazz Standards in bossa rythm. But when i hear modern flamenco, nothing reminds me of Jazz.

deteresa, i think, as long as people have a feeling for it flamenco can happen anywhere on earth. If it can't, i guess 90% of the "flamencos" on this planet have chosen the wrong path... i mean, for some its their culture, and for some "only" flamenco, music, baile, ART. But its still FLAMENCO IMO. Even if its just a commercial record.

Фламенко
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 5 2009 9:38:15

chupacabra

Hola Amigos,
Interesting thoughts here. I am hesitant to weigh in on this topic, as it's so personal and largely based on taste, without any conclusive answers.

I played several styles before any flamenco, though now that I'm "here", I may be here for good! :) I played jazz for a very long time, so I do feel qualified to comment on that topic. The difficulty in grasping a new style goes both ways. Jazz and flamenco are sufficiently different that knowing one will not qualify you to play the other well. It might qualify you to fake it reasonably well. :) Flamenco chord structures are complex and idiosyncratic enough that they are hard for the newbie. Yet, among the most adventurous jazz chord players, their material would be equally hard to grasp, IMO. Multiple inversions of chords built from octatonic scales or quartal structures, anyone? Yeah, me either. ;)

IMNSHO, as someone who studied theory, to me the funniest thing is to hear people spell chords based on one of those chord generators... possibly technically accurate, but that read very much like translations done with Google.

While I was learning flamenco, I kept the styles very segregated, as many jazz chords sounded very strange there. Many still do. But as time has gone on, the ideas have begun to mesh more, and are simply "my vocabulary" rather than styles to be approved by the flamenco and jazz police. [Caveat - I'm still learning, I'm not at the level of Ricardo and Todd and those mavens!] As a result, my stuff will be viewed as crap by a strict traditionalist, and that's fine. My brain needs the stimulation of complexity. Yet at the same time, I love the more traditional stuff.. in a way it's like having something straight, no chaser, very powerful, like the darkest, best black coffee. To me, when you cut off one or the other, you just miss out on the huge delicious meal you could have had. Not to mention my other vice - a very strong passion for Brazilian music. :)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 5 2009 9:42:31

BarkellWH

I wish to clarify my post about the the Kennedy Center audience for Carlos Montoya's concert not being classical guitar afficionados. In fact, they may well have been classical guitar afficionados, as am I, and as are many on this forum. Nevertheless, they were attending the concert to hear flamenco guitar. They were not conflating the two (a la Manitas de Plata and Andres Segovia!). They may not have known much about flamenco, but they were sophisticated enought to know they were attending a flamenco concert.

Cheers,

Bill

And the end of the fight is a tombstone white,
With the name of the late deceased,
And the epitaph drear, "A fool lies here,
Who tried to hustle the East."

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 5 2009 9:44:44

Ricardo

quote:

ORIGINAL: BarkellWH

This Washingtonion does not wish to belabor the point, but in 1979, I attended a concert in the Kennedy Center concert hall, in which Carlos Montoya performed solo the entire evening. One can say what one wishes about Carlos Montoya and his reputation among flamencos, but the concert hall was filled to capacity with an audience that was there to hear (at least what they perceived to be) flamenco guitar. They most definitely were not an audience of classical guitar afficionados.

Cheers,

Bill

That has to do with advertising, not his style of playing. He was well in with the classical guitar circle of concert goers. Same for people like Manitas and Pepe Romero. The insinuation that todays audience would not fill a hall (in USA) of solo flamenco guitar is conjecture, it depends on WHO is the person, not how they present themselves or group or not.

Also the idea that YOUNG PEOPLE prefer modern flamenco is not true either. In my experience, MOST people of all ages associate and prefer what they understand of flamenco to be what most of us think of as "traditional". In fact that is my whole frustration with this thread, that modern flamenco sounds like jazz, and only these young whipper snappers understand it. People generalizing all flamenco guitar post paco as "jazz" or implying they need a jazz group or whatever to give a concert, rather than simply trying to dig into the genre deeper and understand what makes it still "flamenco" though they dont' recognize it as the same. In my experience there are few who really appreciate modern flamenco guitar, or even know many names or recognize recordings of it. This forum and the split that occured which resulted in the "old school forum" creation is evidence too. THere should be way more folks tolerant of the modern players on a flamenco forum IMO.

The folks who focus all their time on Sabicas, Carlos, Diego del gastor etc, and think that constitutes all and only what good traditional flamenco guitar is, are usually the same ones that can't recognize Ramon Montoya in Tomatito's playing.

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 5 2009 9:53:54

Andy Culpepper

RE: modern vs traditional (in reply to XXX

quote:

deteresa, i think, as long as people have a feeling for it flamenco can happen anywhere on earth. If it can't, i guess 90% of the "flamencos" on this planet have chosen the wrong path... i mean, for some its their culture, and for some "only" flamenco, music, baile, ART. But its still FLAMENCO IMO. Even if its just a commercial record.

You misunderstood me. I believe that Flamenco can happen anywhere on earth, obviously.
Syracuse, NY flamencos lemme hear ya say WHAT. Yo Dave!!

But the point is, it's Spain that defines the standards. Every flamenco guitarist you listen to is either from Spain or heavily influenced by Spanish artists. That's just the way it is.
We're not allowed to redefine flamenco along our own preferences. If you just like Diego del Gastor, that's fine but don't go talking about how Flamenco doesn't exist anymore because he's dead.

Yeah I'm starting to get sick of this thread too
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 5 2009 10:25:51

XXX

RE: modern vs traditional (in reply to Andy Culpepper

In hope of not sickening you too much....

quote:

ORIGINAL: deteresa1
But the point is, it's Spain that defines the standards. Every flamenco guitarist you listen to is either from Spain or heavily influenced by Spanish artists.

(Spain, Andalucia, Gipsies... all different terms imo, but not that important here)

To me there is a huge difference between both sentences. Influenced? Of course. Spanish artists are the main input, the engine of this genre, but not because of their nationality, but because of their high understanding of the artform.

"We're not allowed to redefine flamenco along our own preferences."

My answer would be: it depends on what your preferences are. That itself again depends on your taste and knowledge. Thats what makes an artist flamenco or not in my eyes, and not his race, culture, nationality.
But again, that would depend on how you see it. If its a culture or an artform. If its culture, you need to live it and then yes, only people in spain could call themselves flamenco, and therefore define flamenco.

Фламенко
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 5 2009 10:41:48

runner

Ricardo, in your last post, you wrote,"In my experience, there are few who really appreciate modern flamenco guitar...... There should be way more folks tolerant of the modern players on a flamenco forum IMO."

Could you expand a little on this? My sense is that this Foro is almost completely dominated by, first, those whose interest in flamenco is overwhelmingly about guitar, and, second, whose interest is in those very modern players that you feel are not appreciated enough. If one compares the numbers of posts and posters on this Foro to those of the tiny handful of forums dealing with Old School, this Foro blows the rest out of the water, in terms of sheer numbers, and, I presume, appreciation of modern players.

runner
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 5 2009 11:10:23

Andy Culpepper

Deniz,
You think I'm trying to tell you that you can't play Flamenco or be a Flamenco, but I'm not. That would be an incredible hypocrisy on my part.

But you have to give respect to the culture that created Flamenco. Weren't you the one that thought the word "cante" came from a German word? Give me a break.

Andalucia is a beautiful and totally unique place in the world. It's the place that created the music that I love, Flamenco. There's no debate about that. Andalucia has created the past, present, and future of Flamenco.

You can do whatever you want, and I think you play very good flamenco, but you didn't get to that point by copying your German buddies.
For me, my inspiration as an artist comes from the source. That's not to say that I'm not greatly influenced by Jason McGuire, and many others including you even. But these players all represent and draw influence from the source as well, that's how they gain authenticity.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 5 2009 11:45:54

XXX

RE: modern vs traditional (in reply to Andy Culpepper

LOOOL!! That cante was a joke, based on a phonetic coincidence between german and spanish. I had latin in school, so i know what cantare means....
The point where we disagree is: i say everybody can be a creator of flamenco (given the knowledge and feeling). And although Jason would be too humble, i DO think his playing is special and it def had an influence on me. He IS a source for me. Doesnt mean of course that he gets also influenced etc etc...
Well my german buddies... not too many (im not german btw). most of the time i am dying to get in contact with other flamencos. It is very hard to learn this stuff under such circumstances, and i am not very authentic at it i admit (no i dont think you accused me of that btw). I consider it a privilege to have access to juergas and good singers, and envy you the most for it.

Фламенко
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 5 2009 12:10:21

Andy Culpepper

lol oh. in that case it was funny

I think we basically agree, and I did say that I was influenced by Jason. He's one of my favorite guitarists because he knows his **** *up and down* as a result of studying EVERY detail of the art form, and he creates incredible interpretations of that source material (as practiced by generations of Andalucians) with the utmost respect for the art.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 5 2009 13:34:54

Doitsujin

quote:

I consider it a privilege to have access to juergas and good singers, and envy you the most for it.

My statement might be hard..but since many flamenco singers pulled off some pretty rough comments about flamenco... I feel free to tell my point of view as they would do.. :.D Just remember Agujetas or Capullo... Agujetas with the "eating with the spoon through sticking it from behind in the ass instead of in the mouth - statement"... and many more great ones.. Very entertaining..of course.. I love these interviews.. ^^

Well IMO juergas are overrated. Drunken people yelling some degenerated lyrics to somebody half stoned strumming a few chords in a corner.
No sir,.. juergas are a lot overrated. Creating music and also flamenco doesnt come from some magic that flies to your mind at some juergas. You can create something if you have a certain amount of knowledge (a part you can get at juergas.. but today anything is available digitally because every tiny fart wants to make some bucks...so they record their juergas and sell it.), or you simply work your ass off.

You also dont need some spanish DNA... there is no evidence for an aire- or flamenco-gene that is absent or mutant in foreigners.. Trust me. I remember there were some rumors about the "gay-gene"... but it was never published.. I mean.. How do you want to test it? One human generation takes too long and you cant perform any EMS-mutagenesis on humans to find some gay-suppressor mutants that are straight again...^^ And animals... dogs for example hump anything when they are horny.. I think thats also true for other animals.. Well.. So there is no way to test this thesis.. .. ... But an interesting field,..theres no doubt. ^^

Welll,... when thinking twice... Paco is a hybrid.. half spanish half portuges.. that could be the reason for his enormous abilities... As the enhanced yield of hybrid maize. But if thats the reason... there is no way that his son would have the same abilities.. So sad Im not working in the field of philosophy .... I could publish so many "well elaborated" analyses about the phenomena flamenco.. LOL!

I stick to my opinion about the importance of juergas till I can find arguments on pubmed that convince me to something different.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 5 2009 13:55:21

John O.

RE: modern vs traditional (in reply to Doitsujin

quote:

You also dont need some spanish DNA... there is no evidence for an aire- or flamenco-gene that is absent or mutant in foreigners.. Trust me. I remember there were some rumors about the "gay-gene"... but it was never published.. I mean.. How do you want to test it? One human generation takes too long and you cant perform any EMS-mutagenesis on humans to find some gay-suppressor mutants that are straight again...^^ And animals... dogs for example hump anything when they are horny.. I think thats also true for other animals.. Well.. So there is no way to test this thesis.. .. ... But an interesting field,..theres no doubt. ^^

This is how I know it's Saturday night

Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 5 2009 15:27:00

el topo

Traditional Si Modern No

Mira como son las cosas.
El clavel no tiene espinas.
La que tiene es la rosa!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 5 2009 17:18:57

BarkellWH

Ricardo, one can recognize the influence of Ramon Montoya in Tomatito's playing and still appreciate Ramon Montoya's toque more than and above that of Tomatito's. Likewise, one may appreciate Tomatito's more than and above that of Ramon Montoya's. It is a matter of personal preference. There is no logical inconsistency in either position.

Cheers,

Bill
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 5 2009 17:24:41

kozz

If it got soul than it got soul, but it is all personally and depending on your state of mind.
I got more openminded towards the modern flamenco but I found myself skipping the tracks with cajon, violins and all that kind of "extra's" etc, it takes away the nostalgica for me, but thats personal.

quote:

So sad Im not working in the field of philosophy

Well I am not so sure about that!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 5 2009 19:08:20

mark indigo

RE: modern vs traditional (in reply to el topo

quote:

Traditional Si Modern No

so which is:-

Moraíto, Pedro Bacan, Paco Cepero, Juan Habichuela, Pepe Habichuela...?

Paco de Lucía's first two solo albums, "Fabulosa Guitarra..." and "Fantasia Flamenca..."?

Manolo Sanlucar's "Recital Flamenco"...?

basically, where do you draw the lines between these two?

IMO any line you draw to separate the two is completely arbitrary and therefore meaningless

IMO there are too many exceptions and contradictions for any clear separation and/or division

For a tradition to exist it has to be handed on, and will evolve as it does so, that is the nature of any tradition, so therefore whatever is "modern" must be part of the "tradition" because otherwise what you are calling "tradition" is not a tradition, it is "historical"
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 6 2009 7:23:41
Page:   <<   <   1 [2] 3 4 5    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2] 3 4 5    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post