Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Cristina Heeren Flamenco Foundation?   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

TGerman

Cristina Heeren Flamenco Foundation? 

Hey guys,

I really want to go to Spain for a while and study and after reading about the Cristina Heeren Flamenco Foundation in Seville I am considering going there. It seems like it is more of a school where you enroll for the whole year (october - june) and classes are 3 x 1.5 hours per day and you are really immersed in it, which is what I want. Does anyone know about this place? Or do you know of any other places like this that are good? Obviously, I want to learn as much as I can.

Todd
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 25 2006 21:26:51

Escribano

RE: Cristina Heeren Flamenco Foundation? (in reply to TGerman

The search facility works for me

http://www.foroflamenco.com/searchpro.asp?phrase=Cristina+Heeren+&appid=ALL&topicreply=both&message=both&author=&timeframe=%3E&timefilter=0&language=single&top=50&criteria=AND&minRank=10&submitbutton=+OK+

Foro Flamenco founder and Admin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 25 2006 21:56:31

http://www.flamencoheeren.com/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 26 2006 7:52:14

TGerman

He he he...oops You see the problem is that the search feature was right in front of my face, that's why I didn't see it

Now that I read those posts I'm wondering if I should try out El Carbonero for a while instead?

Thanks Sean, I've been on the website many times but what I was looking for was first hand knowledge of the place. It seems like Miguel wasn't entirely happy with the school.

Todd
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 26 2006 10:33:33

Miguel de Maria

Todd,
sorry I was in Vancouver this week.

I don't know what I wrote about the school... I think it's better than going it alone. There are plenty of other students to hang out with (and learn from). I was only there for a month, so I can't really say. Personally I think I would rather go there than take lessons from el Carbonero if you get the chance to work with dancers in the extended course.

Connect with me on Facebook, all the cool kids are doing it.
https://www.facebook.com/migueldemariaZ

Arizona Wedding Music Guitar
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 26 2006 20:38:28

TGerman

RE: Cristina Heeren Flamenco Foundation? (in reply to Miguel de Maria

Miguel,

Thanks for the reply, this time I was away.

You had said in your post that you had reservations and, basically, that you were not sure it was worth it as it was moving quite fast. Looking back now after you were able to get a hold on everything you learned do you think it was worth it? Do you feel you learned a lot and are now a better player because of it?

Thanks Miguel.

Todd

BTW - How is your shoulder?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 27 2006 19:59:27

Miguel de Maria

Todd,
Well, as I look back on it, the course was mainly composed of learning falsetas. Who knows how many falsetas I learned that month, a couple dozen? I learned a tangos "solo" and Panaderos Flamencos, which I still play at gigs (unfortunately still not that well!). A siguriyas solo that I didn't care for (too much Nino Ricardo), and thus don't remember.

Of course we went over any technique that was necessary to go over. Tino showed us how to work on alzapua and golpes. Miguel Angel Cortes showed us a bunch of technical exercises he knew or had composed. I think we played with a singer a couple of times, but we weren't advanced enough, supposedly, to go very far.

We learned a bunch of Nino de Pura scales, too.

As far as extracurriculars go, I also went to festival in Mogeur, one outside of Sevilla, and saw a show in Nerja. Besides that, I went to watch the instructors at the institute at their show in Cafe del Sol almost every night. So, in the five weeks I was there, I estimate I saw twenty shows!

There is also a place called La Carboneria that I went to have drinks quite a few times, that also has flamenco.

And also took an "introduction to flamenco" course (in spanish) where I got at least one teacher's perspective on how it all fits together.

I guess from the vantage of time and distance, it seemed like I did learn quite a bit I was there. Certainly Sevilla is a wonderful town and I had fun hanging out with the other guitarists. Also, one dancer but we were actually kept segregated and never saw the dancers!

Connect with me on Facebook, all the cool kids are doing it.
https://www.facebook.com/migueldemariaZ

Arizona Wedding Music Guitar
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 27 2006 21:21:27
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll