Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

How does Redwood/Sequoia compare to Cedar and Cypress as a guitar material?   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

nikgogl

How does Redwood/Sequoia compare to ... 

I've been seeing a few guitars lately with Redwood tops and I'm curious how it compares as I've never heard one in person.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 6 2023 18:27:31

Chanpanpap

RE: How does Redwood/Sequoia compare... (in reply to nikgogl

I believe this Sequoia top is just a scheme of a store that purchased it just for exclusivity among the flamenco players, Ive spoken with a few luthiers who have them In possession and they're not as hyped for them as advertised. I was actually interested in that soundboard but a few who posses it didnt recommend it that much they rather go with cedar
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 6 2023 23:52:01

Echi

It’s exactly as you say.
Redwood was used in 77 and 78 by Paulino Bernabé hoping to find a wood which could get the success that his former boss Ramirez lll had with cedar.
Someone else in Madrid gave it a try using the same stock of Paulino (Contreras, Conde) but it ended soon.
Advantage of redwood over cedar is that is a stronger wood and gets you the defined trebles of spruce. The main drawback are that it tends to be too heavy and brittle which means it gives you lot of overtones with a strong bottom end with a certain loss of the core of the note. Loudness but a poorer modulation if you like. Other issue is that it’s a wood with low dampening ratio and so it may be prone to split. And then it’s expensive as sequoias are centenary trees.
A good luthier can make a good guitar with it anyway. For sure different sounding but not superior to a cedar or spruce topped one as claimed.
It’s funny that just at the same time the shop bought the batch of redwood in the very same days a luthier (definitely good with marketing) found an amazing guitar made in the 70ies with a top in redwood by his predecessor and by chance also a batch of ultra aged wood of the same species… what a coincidence.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 11 2023 9:37:44

tijeretamiel

I've played a few guitars with redwood soundboards but they weren't flamenco guitars but steel string acoustics.

Some say redwood has the warmth of a cedar soundboard and the headroom of a spruce soundboard. The redwood guitars I played seemed to have both in some ways.

Echi's description is far more detailed and informed than I could ever be! I agree Redwood is not better or worse than spruce or cedar but it's own thing.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 12 2023 16:58:13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post