Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: Advise on buying a new Conde 2023   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: <<   <   1 2 [3]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Ricardo

RE: Advise on buying a new Conde 2023 (in reply to orsonw

quote:

And Pacos 1980 negra with 650 scale 2.8/9mm

good grief. No wonder he got rid of that one!

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 23 2023 10:55:07

Echi

RE: Advise on buying a new Conde 2023 (in reply to Ricardo

That 1980 was a 650 scale. Anyway is among those of the post-Faustino series with large waist plantilla and German rosettes which I refer to.
If Paco played that live for sure it wasn’t bad even though we know that from a certain moment in the eighties Paco would have preferred a stiffer a guitar for live performances and mostly he used the same one. The ‘74 Faustino Conde he was fond of probably was at 2.8 mm and 7 to 8 mm at the bridge.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 23 2023 15:12:13

Chanpanpap

RE: Advise on buying a new Conde 2023 (in reply to JasonM

Hi Jason, sorry ive been trying my conde now for a few weeks....

Its comfy but I like harder tension, reacts very well but not sure about the sound a lot of close friends have told me thats a real one, the only thing I noticed but im not sure about is about the top... when I do golpes it doesn't sound that good... is this normal?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 19 2023 5:00:24

Chanpanpap

Well I feel a bit disappointed, has been refinished so not sure about how to feel about it, sound is ok, I was hoping something very loud... its a proud house right?
well again not 100% sure about it
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 19 2023 5:02:14

Chanpanpap

RE: Advise on buying a new Conde 2023 (in reply to Echi

quote:

and yet extremely playable and “soft” under the fingers. I won’t use here the P word not to get astray off topic.

Right my conde is soft... but I like something else maybe in the middle,

quick question now that you have a few condes, golpes are not that loud on the guitar? is this normal?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 19 2023 5:04:24

Echi

RE: Advise on buying a new Conde 2023 (in reply to Chanpanpap

Pictures? Just to understand what we are talking about.
Loudness is a relative concept. What matters the most is projection and the right balance middles-trebles so that the guitar is heard properly by the listeners even in a noisy environment.
Usually those guitars have a thick top which means the golpe may sound less resounding.
How do you know the top has been re polished ?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 19 2023 13:33:01

Ricardo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chanpanpap

Well I feel a bit disappointed, has been refinished so not sure about how to feel about it, sound is ok, I was hoping something very loud... its a proud house right?
well again not 100% sure about it

Well, you wanted Cedar…and to boot it was a refinish. My understanding is Cedar is thinner with heavier bracing…so a refinish means any stripping would have thinned it further. Golpes on Cedar tops have always been non-exciting to me (you don’t feel that springy punch as with a good pine top). Loudness is often a result of miss balance ie, too much bass. All that gets rolled off in live mic situations, hence the quiet, but focused and balanced mid range of Condes (in general, the Blanca’s more so) have been ideal for close mic live shows.

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 19 2023 15:46:07

Morante

quote:

has been refinished

How? con munequilla or sprayed with plastic?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 19 2023 16:09:07

Chanpanpap

RE: Advise on buying a new Conde 2023 (in reply to Echi

Hmm pictures are too large for the file, but of course the lacquer is new
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 19 2023 23:50:18

Chanpanpap

quote:

Loudness is often a result of miss balance ie, too much bass. All that gets rolled off in live mic situations, hence the quiet, but focused and balanced mid range of Condes (in general, the Blanca’s more so) have been id

I mostly thing my mistake was I was too hesitant, dont get me wrong is a good guitar loud and light... maybe I was asking for too much of a guitar for an average conde, Ive heard this combination is really good on flamenco guitars, I still believe so, maybe it was just this but ill keep it a while and see how it goes.... but mostly it.

Not that angry the price was okay for a Conde... sound is good also not the best nor the worst just another conde I would say...;
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 19 2023 23:53:33

Echi

Few things:
No pictures or recording, no ground to assess correctly the issue. It’s up to you.
For what I understand, you reckoned the top was refinished as it looks too neat. It’s either this or just a guitar who was never played.
It’s difficult to say anything about it without knowing the real top thickness through a Hacklinger gouge.
I for one thought that a certain guitar sounded thin as she probably had a thin top in certain areas while in fact the Hacklinger showed the opposite.
In this field the brain needs solid data to ground the assessments.
It’s not rare that certain Sanchis-Conde guitars are overbuilt and in some occasions a refinished top may even improve the things.

The error here is just to have bought a guitar without trying it first. I know at time it’s difficult but then the risk of having something different from your expectations is quite high.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 20 2023 12:16:48
Page:   <<   <   1 2 [3]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: <<   <   1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post