Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Beginner, intermediate or advanced   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

devilhand

Beginner, intermediate or advanced 

Today I've started learning this Solea part at 1:14-1:22. It's been a challenge for me to play an exact rendition of it. I haven't mastered it yet. Looks like I need more practice. I wonder which level of flamenco guitar playing it is? Beginner intermediate or advanced?

Say No to Fuera de Compás!!!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 16 2023 22:16:39

orsonw

RE: Beginner, intermediate or advanced (in reply to devilhand

quote:

Today I've started learning this Solea part at 1:14-1:22. It's been a challenge for me to play an exact rendition of it. I haven't mastered it yet. Looks like I need more practice. I wonder which level of flamenco guitar playing it is? Beginner intermediate or advanced?

What tempo/bpm are you playing it, are you trying to match his tempo? Could you play it slow at 60 bpm?

This is a basic/essential solea phrase, of which there are variations. The speed you can play at would determine your technical level. But at a slow speed a beginner could be learning this exactly.

My double arpeggios are not 100% reliable above 90-100 bpm in real life situations. When accompanying a singer for real (typical bpm 110-130) I leave out the double arpeggios and play variations e.g. with single arpeggios. But por baile it might be much slower and then I do use the double arpeggios.

EDIT:
Here's Adam del Monte teaching a similar variation "I'm going to show you an example of a very basic level, very simple level falseta, a beginner level falseta, of the one of the most fundamental phrases of solea."

Starts at 1.42
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 17 2023 10:12:49

zendalex

It is the most basic solea falseta which he slightly embalished by playing extra off beat notes.

But, I think for most basic techniques in flamenco one needs to be an intermediate level guitarist. As indeed, if played fast enough it is indeed not easy to play it cleanly.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 17 2023 12:07:52

Ricardo

he is an advanced player playing the basic beginner thing everybody needs to learn some variation of. There are simpler variations to get started, this one perhaps being an intermediate variation. As others said, play it slow at first and build speed.

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 17 2023 13:11:32

devilhand

RE: Beginner, intermediate or advanced (in reply to orsonw

quote:

What tempo/bpm are you playing it, are you trying to match his tempo? Could you play it slow at 60 bpm?

I can play it slow without any mistakes. When played slow it sounds a bit different. He makes it sound so smooth in this video. So I want to play this part as fast as him. Does he play it at 120 bpm?

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 17 2023 17:50:09

johnnefastis

Cool great goal. I just checked and made it 120.6 BPM :) Just checking my version of this and my pimami arps fall appart at around 100 after that i would resort to throwing in ima rolled arpeggios or something... this phrase is used for the escobilla in dance and gets even faster.

Upload a sample of you playing it at 60, would be great to hear.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 17 2023 22:33:37

Ricardo

quote:

ORIGINAL: devilhand

quote:

I can play it slow without any mistakes. When played slow it sounds a bit different. He makes it sound so smooth in this video. So I want to play this part as fast as him. Does he play it at 120 bpm?

If you are stuck at slow tempo, take it up to the “threshold”, meaning if he plays it at 120 try 100+ somewhere, but only ONE MEASURE at a time, and loop just that one measure. Once you can do that one measure perfectly, increase tempo gradually until you find either, your goal, or the tempo it falls apart. Work it just below that until the goal is reached. Then start over with the next measure (there are only 3 that will need work, as I hope you can do the E arpegio at any tempo). Do the same with each measure then add the first part to it that you have already mastered.

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 18 2023 16:19:24

devilhand

RE: Beginner, intermediate or advanced (in reply to johnnefastis

quote:

Recorded my playing. How can I upload mp3 to the foro? I tried it and it didn't work.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 18 2023 20:15:55

kitarist

quote:

How can I upload mp3 to the foro? I tried it and it didn't work.

You can, in the "audio&video uploads" section of the foro here:

http://www.foroflamenco.com/tt.asp?appid=7

Konstantin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 18 2023 20:50:22

JasonM

Since Dennis Koster just came up, I remember his book had a bunch of levels and evolution of this basic Falseta, ending with Paco’variations.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 18 2023 21:01:31

devilhand

RE: Beginner, intermediate or advanced (in reply to johnnefastis

quote:

Here you go. Not loud enough. Obviously low quality. Can anyone suggest a good audio recording device for flamenco guitar?

http://www.foroflamenco.com/tm.asp?m=345246&appid=&p=&mpage=1&key=&tmode=&smode=&s=#345246

quote:

Since Dennis Koster just came up, I remember his book had a bunch of levels and evolution of this basic Falseta, ending with Paco’variations.

I'm very selective and picky when it comes to learning falseta. When falseta doesn't sound good to me, I skip it. It's like wanting to learn your favourite songs on guitar. Makes sense.
Arabic sounding falsetas are always my favs. I doubt Dennis Koster book has this kind of falsetas.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 18 2023 22:31:44
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote