Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: A new flamenco guitar vs used flamenco guitar   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2] 3    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Richard Jernigan

RE: A new flamenco guitar vs used fl... (in reply to devilhand

quote:

ORIGINAL: devilhand

Sabicas right hand technique was not authentic anymore. I don't know how long he was away from Spain? 50 or 60 years? He uses other non flamenco techniques in Malaguena video too. Look at what he does at 1:16. Sorry it's not right hand flamenco technique.
Sabicas knew what he was doing. Demonstrated little bit showmanship as mark2 mentioned. So true what David Serva told estebanana about Sabicas "Everyone has to make a living somehow.”

Let's have a look at what Paco de Lucia saya about Sabicas' technique at the time of "Flamenco Puro," the first Sabicas disc released in Spain:

"Este hombre ha hecho muchíaimo. No solo yo, sino todas las generaciones que entra su labor y su dedicación durante 50 años. ...claro la manera de picar de esa velocidad y esa limpieza. Ese sonido que le saca sabicas a la guitarra, nosotros acá nunca nadie ni hay nadie que se lo saque, ni hoy en día ni en mucho tiempo, el sonido que tiene este hombre de guitarra. El gusto con que toca,con la técnica que ha tenido siempre. Desde que yo oí su primer disco yo cuando era éste yo ya sabía y era como sonar una cuerda Desde que yo ponía sus discos y me dió en la cama. Y para mí era como un sueño poder llegar algún día tocar así."

This man has done so much. Neither I, nor all the generations to come--his labor, his dedication during 50 years. claro the way of playing with such speed and purity...that sound which he brings out of the guitar, nobody here (in Spain) neither now, nor for a long time...the sound of this man of the guitar--the taste with whch he plays... the technique he has always had. From the time I heard his first disc (Flamenco Puro) I knew that was how to make a string sound. From that time I would put on his records and get in bed (to listen). it was for me like a dream to be able some day to play like that.

[my transcription and translation.]

Didn't Paco play harmonics at least once? Paco said, "What I play is flamenco, because I am flamenco." Not only was Sabicas flamenco, he was gitano por los cuatro cuadros.

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 9 2023 0:14:43

Stu

RE: A new flamenco guitar vs used fl... (in reply to Mark2

quote:

For a while I thought you might really be Fred Sanford AKA JM, trolling us hard.

haha yeah i think we've all thought this in a quiet moment! its a sophisticated grift if true. cos its pitched just right. in the middle ground between outrageousness and ignorance.

hang on, are we actualy posting evidence to try to convince someone that Sabicas was the real deal?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 9 2023 7:32:00

estebanana

RE: A new flamenco guitar vs used fl... (in reply to Stu

Stu, Stu don’t be that guy… 😂

——

The other thing David said about Sabicas is that his picado was better than Paco’s.

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 9 2023 10:01:40

Ricardo

quote:

Sabicas right hand technique was not authentic anymore. I don't know how long he was away from Spain? 50 or 60 years? He uses other non flamenco techniques in Malaguena video too. Look at what he does at 1:16. Sorry it's not right hand flamenco technique.

Like I said, “ridiculous criticisms”, where you know just enough to be trolling and not enough to contextualize. We do get some amusement out if this however. After all, this was a thread YOU started to convince your OWN SELF that purchasing a USED flamenco guitar is a bad idea based on erroneous information, in order that you hold out just a bit longer from actually owning a proper guitar so you can begin your journey. Self confirmation bias in order to buy time? Here is an idea: buy a FLAMENCO guitar, zip the criticism lips, start learning.

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 9 2023 11:39:04

estebanana

RE: A new flamenco guitar vs used fl... (in reply to Richard Jernigan

This is hilarious, I’m having a good time.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 9 2023 12:07:12

devilhand

No doubt Sabicas was the real deal. But we have to accept the fact that he used non flamenco techniques to attract a wider audience in a foreign country. We've seen in malaguena video. He integrated Chet Atkins artificial harmonics technique into his playing. And his up/down the fretboard ras technique. I wish I never saw it.

Say No to Fuera de Compás!!!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 9 2023 12:50:37

estebanana

Yeah

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (1)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 9 2023 13:21:37

Ricardo

quote:

But we have to accept the fact that he used non flamenco techniques to attract a wider audience in a foreign country. We've seen in malaguena video. He integrated Chet Atkins artificial harmonics technique into his playing.

Do WE? I don’t have to. And artificial harmonics Segovia used in Albeniz transcriptions, and I am sure he did not invent it either. But I don’t feel like taking things into the 1800s to prove that you don’t know what you are talking about and making unwarranted criticisms, as this is nothing new.

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 9 2023 17:06:55

gerundino63

quote:

But we have to accept the fact that he used non flamenco techniques to attract a wider audience in a foreign country

Did you ask him?
Did you read that somewhere?
Do you have a source of that?
Do you make up facts?
Tell me, I like to be enlighted.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 9 2023 17:24:55

Morante

quote:

I wish I never saw it.

¿Hablas Inglés?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 9 2023 19:26:39

estebanana

I was transfixed when he played the A-harmonics. Rather than call a foul, it expanded my brain.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 9 2023 22:50:41

Richard Jernigan

....Chet Atkins? ...Really?...Holy Crap!

For your convenience, here is a comprehensive description of harmonic technique from Fernando Sor's "Méthode Complète pour la Guitare" published in 1830. I link an English translation for your convenience. The harmonics part is on page 25.

https://www.thisisclassicalguitar.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/Sor_-_Methode_for_the_Guitar.pdf

You may object that this is a classical technique. So was much of the technique of Ramon Montoya. He hung out at Manuel Ramirez's guitar shop in Madrid, which was a gathering place for both classical and flamenco guitarists in the early 20th century. Much of Montoya's technique, the foundation of all subsequent flamenco soloists', is derived from classical technique.

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 9 2023 23:58:47

devilhand

quote:

....Chet Atkins? ...Really?...Holy Crap!

I doubt there are artificial harmonics pieces for classical guitar. When done correctly like T. Emmannuel artificial harmonics can create beautiful harp sound. Thanks to Chet Atkins T. Emmannuel has developed it to such an extent.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 10 2023 20:36:56

silddx

You know, I'm getting on for 60, and the older I get the more I realise I know absolutely fack all. And it's a lovely feeling to be a sponge, a sponge that does not require self-wringing of its malformed contents in vain attempts to impress others, like I used to.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 10 2023 22:36:59

chester

quote:

I doubt there are artificial harmonics pieces for classical guitar

not sure what you mean but you can check out "El Testament dAmelia" by Llobet and "Invocacion y Danza" by Rodrigo for artificial harmonics in the classical guitar rep
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 10 2023 23:50:38

kitarist

RE: A new flamenco guitar vs used fl... (in reply to chester

quote:

ORIGINAL: chester

quote:

I doubt there are artificial harmonics pieces for classical guitar

not sure what you mean but you can check out "El Testament dAmelia" by Llobet and "Invocacion y Danza" by Rodrigo for artificial harmonics in the classical guitar rep

Also:

Llobet: El Mestre; La Filla del Marxant; Cancao del Lladre
Barrios: El Sueño de la muñeca
Savio: Cajita de Musica
Granados: Valses Poeticos - Melodioso; La Maja de Goya (middle section)
Walton, bagatelle no 2
Takemitsu, All in Twilight
Duarte: Variations on a catalan folksong (cançó del lladre); Tout En Ronde, #3
Tarrega: Alborada

Konstantin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 10 2023 23:59:11

devilhand

RE: A new flamenco guitar vs used fl... (in reply to chester

You guys forgot Malaguena - Sabicas.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 11 2023 0:48:29

estebanana

Almost all of Takamitsu’s guitar music and arrangements feature artificial harmonics passages.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 11 2023 1:24:16

estebanana

Eddie Van Halen was recording albums in the 1970’s chock full of artificial harmonics while Tommy was slumping over a toilet in a cheap hotel in Melbourne whilst too high on heroin to stand up.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 11 2023 1:27:51

estebanana

Chapter 3, page 50-51 paragraph 360 in Dionisio Aguado's first guitar method says:

Sequndo modo de ejecución. El Sr. Possa ha inventado otro modo de hacer les armónicos sobre las divisiones de los trastes, con el que se consigue la ventaja de formar una escala cromatica completa. Partiendo del principio de que la cuerda al aire tiene su armónico á la mitad de ella, infiere que la cuerda pisada debe tenerle, como en efecto le tiene, en la mitad de su correspondiente longitud, y asi el armónico del fa natural, por ejemplo, se hallara' sobre la 13a division de la cuerda sesta; el del fa # en la 14a, & En virtud de esto, el Sr. Fossa aplica la yema del índice de la derecha sobre el punto á donde corresponde el armónico, y al mismo tiempo pulsa la cuerda con el pulgar de la propia mano. Para ello estiende el índice en direccion ácia la cejuela, casi paralelo a las cuerdas, y las pulsa con el pulgar, el cual se queda detras acia la parte del puente, á tal distancia que' entre él y la yema del índice haya la mayor porción de cuerda que sea posible Para sacar los armónicos de las cuerdas al aire basta la mano derecha sola colocada del modo dicho; pero en las cuerdas pisadas, ademas de ser precisa la mano izquierda, se necesita mover la derecha en la disposicion indicada, y poner el índice de ella á la distancia correspondiente segun el traste en que esté pisada la cuerda, lo que el Sr. Fossa hace con mucha destreza.
This was first published in Madrid in 1825 before Aguado moved to Paris

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 11 2023 1:46:05

kitarist

RE: A new flamenco guitar vs used fl... (in reply to estebanana

quote:

Yeah, but was it before Chet Atkins invented artificial harmonics?? - we may never know... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Konstantin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 11 2023 2:53:43

estebanana

RE: A new flamenco guitar vs used fl... (in reply to kitarist

quote:

quote:

Yeah, but was it before Chet Atkins invented artificial harmonics?? - we may never know... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yeah but this will keep our little Fernando Sore busy trolling us for at least three days.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 11 2023 3:05:21

estebanana

1 Samuel 16:14-23

David Plays the Harp for Saul

14 The Spirit of the Lord had left Saul, and an evil spirit from the Lord was terrifying him. 15 “It's an evil spirit from God that's frightening you,” Saul's officials told him. 16 “Your Majesty, let us go and look for someone who is good at playing the harp. He can play for you whenever the evil spirit from God bothers you, you can take an couple
bong hits and you'll feel better.”

17 “All right,” Saul answered. “Let’s do this acid first then find me a chick with some righteous jugs and we shall seek
who is good at playing the harp and bring him here.”

18 “A man named Jesse Cook who lives in Bethlehem has a son who can play the harp like a mother-fukcer” one official said. “He's a brave warrior, and grows some dope ass skunk weed in his garage- he's good-looking, he can speak well, and the Lord is with him while he jams on the harp.”

19 Saul sent a message to Jesse: “Tell your son David to leave your weed closet and come here to me to play the harp and rid my ass of gods demons ”

20 Jesse loaded a donkey sized joint into his chariot and with bread and a goatskin full of wine,then he told David to take the harp and a young goat to Saul. 21 David went to Saul and started playing for for him. Saul liked him so much that he put David in charge of carrying his weapons. 22 Not long after this, Saul sent another message to Jesse: “I really like David. Please let him stay with me.”

23 Whenever the evil spirit from God bothered Saul, David would play his harp. The part Saul would relax and feel better the most with is when David played artificial harmonics riffs and they hit the bong together with some fine bitches, and the evil spirit would go away.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 11 2023 3:26:43

estebanana

Haha Jernigan !

I found a reference from the Bible about artificial harmonics and then from Aguado predating Sor by five years. The challenge is in your court to find an earlier reference, if you can.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 11 2023 3:43:36

Brendan

RE: A new flamenco guitar vs used fl... (in reply to silddx

Chat GPT says:

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (1)

https://sites.google.com/site/obscureflamencology/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 11 2023 8:06:56

estebanana

Miguel Rincon awesome stuff.

Santiago de Murcia + Gaspar Sanz with some artificial harmonics on a baroque guitar.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 11 2023 11:47:31

Pgh_flamenco

RE: A new flamenco guitar vs used fl... (in reply to Brendan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brendan

Chat GPT says:

And... ChatGPT enters a debate on the Foro for the first time. From now on should we have bots debate issues for us? Let’s ask ChatGPT.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 11 2023 12:20:40

Brendan

RE: A new flamenco guitar vs used fl... (in reply to Ricardo

I’m not convinced he is a troll. Here is an expert on the subject:

https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/journal-of-the-american-philosophical-association/article/aristotle-on-trolling/540BB557C82186C33BFFB61E35A0B5B6

https://sites.google.com/site/obscureflamencology/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 11 2023 16:09:02

Pgh_flamenco

RE: A new flamenco guitar vs used fl... (in reply to Brendan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brendan

https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/journal-of-the-american-philosophical-association/article/aristotle-on-trolling/540BB557C82186C33BFFB61E35A0B5B6

Interesting article. I would add that online trolling is primarily a passive-aggressive maneuver. This is not the same as what used to be called passive-aggressive personality.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 11 2023 17:34:47

Richard Jernigan

RE: A new flamenco guitar vs used fl... (in reply to estebanana

quote:

ORIGINAL: estebanana

Haha Jernigan !

I found a reference from the Bible about artificial harmonics and then from Aguado predating Sor by five years. The challenge is in your court to find an earlier reference, if you can.

Nah...193 years ago (or 198) ought to be enough to make the point.

But, anything in Bermudo?

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 11 2023 23:22:39
Page:   <<   <   1 [2] 3    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2] 3    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll