Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Anyone else labeled as obsessed?   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

trivium91

Anyone else labeled as obsessed? 

My friends and family think im obsessed because I I can't go one day without my guitar. I find a way to bring a guitar camping, on vacation and make sure to carve out at least an hour every for practice. How can I be expected to leave my guitar for 10 days or even a week, I will forget everything I have learned. I anyone else labeled as obsessed? How how do you respond?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 5 2023 16:30:22

Fawkes

RE: Anyone else labeled as obsessed? (in reply to trivium91

Just say "thank you", or "yes" and move on. Take it at face value and ignore subtext. Face value means just take the word to mean 'Intensely preoccupied with or by a given topic; driven'. As if they had said to you "there are things you really care a lot about and you are very motivated". Cool, yeah!

If there is some subtext let them come out and say it, then you can deal with whatever it is. Maybe they're just envious because their life is aimless and bland.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 5 2023 17:16:37

davewphx

This is the problem I have when my sister and nephew visit. They dont understand why I want to close my bedroom door to practice for 40 minutes. As soon as I start to play they want something. Or the dog causes mischief 🐕

Dave
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 5 2023 17:37:05

trivium91

RE: Anyone else labeled as obsessed? (in reply to Fawkes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fawkes

Just say "thank you", or "yes" and move on. Take it at face value and ignore subtext. Face value means just take the word to mean 'Intensely preoccupied with or by a given topic; driven'. As if they had said to you "there are things you really care a lot about and you are very motivated". Cool, yeah!

If there is some subtext let them come out and say it, then you can deal with whatever it is. Maybe they're just envious because their life is aimless and bland.

Good way of putting it. It seems like to me though that Flamenco guitar is for introverts, all that alone time practising. I can't imagine anyone that plays flamenco as a casual player that picks it up every one In a while.

Edit: forgot to mention as a fellow introvert I can seriously see an extrovert struggle in flamenco considering how much dedication it takes. Flamenco seems like it's all or nothing really.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 5 2023 20:27:35

kitarist

RE: Anyone else labeled as obsessed? (in reply to Fawkes

quote:

Nice!

Konstantin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 5 2023 21:15:04

mark indigo

quote:

I anyone else labeled as obsessed? How how do you respond?

Only practise on the days you eat.* Ask them why they eat everyday.

ok, I'm not being entirely serious here... but when asked why I "need more than one guitar" I usually respond with something that turns it back on the asker, like "why do you need more than one pair of shoes?" or "why do you need more than one handbag?", so I was just trying to to turn it around and point out something they do every day that they think is normal. Maybe you can think of something personal to the people concerned to ask them?

* I think this came originally from mr. Suzuki, founder of the Suzuki method.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 5 2023 22:09:30

Richard Jernigan

I didn’t name it obsession at the time.

Although her family was well off, my wife went to university on a four year classical piano scholarship. She started playing at age five. Her parents were advised it might be better to wait for a couple of years, but they felt she would play anyhow, so she might as well have professional instruction.

I started playing trumpet at age nine, and was paid to play professionally at 16.

When my math/physics university schedule kept me out of symphony and concert band, I started fooling around with guitar. After a few years I was fairly proficient. Then I took a job where I traveled often, away from home days, sometimes weeks at a time. With lack of practice my technique decayed. It became so annoying I vowed to quit.

But when I got back home the guitar soon came out of its case. Then it was off traveling again, back home, guitar frustration…

Taking longer than it should have, the solution finally occurred to me. I bought a Mark Leaf case and started taking a guitar with me as checked airline baggage. The case was a heavy monster, but it was worth the trouble.

My wife and most of my good friends were accomplished musicians, so no one thought it odd. It never occurred to me to see myself as obsessed. I just couldn’t stop playing the guitar.

I still do. At my age I have to practice regularly to keep it up.

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 6 2023 3:33:46

Stu

quote:

I anyone else labeled as obsessed? How how do you respond?

yes you are obsessed and good on you.

Say "yeah so what? Im utterly obsessed! I'm really passionate about it. Are you passionate about anything? ...No? that figures cos you are a sad human being with no depth of character"

maybe dont say all of that
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 6 2023 10:53:13

Ricardo

Obsession implies an unhealthy habit. I turn it into “focus”, and to be focused is important and honorable. When a pack of Hyenas start messing with a lion pride, there is complete chaos until the Male lion king focuses his attention on the lead female hyena and takes her out.

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 6 2023 13:26:50

trivium91

Haha awesome responses guys. Well I will say that I did have to stop obsessing over it before bed, I avoid practicing in the minutes before bed when I’m supposed to be winding down as I struggle with insomnia. I had to tell my self that quality practice is important, more important than the duration. Moreover, if I’m not well rested my practice/mental focus will be lacking. Therefore, I try to stick to my scheduled practice session.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 6 2023 17:51:35

Hoomanito

Life is so bland without obsessions! I have the Guinness world record for the largest collection of kinder surprise toys, and I am proud of this obsession. I take being "obsessed" as a compliment! Specially with flamenco, it's a dedication

I love Rondeñas more than Bulerías
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 7 2023 5:44:25

trivium91

RE: Anyone else labeled as obsessed? (in reply to Hoomanito

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hoomanito

Life is so bland without obsessions! I have the Guinness world record for the largest collection of kinder surprise toys, and I am proud of this obsession. I take being "obsessed" as a compliment! Specially with flamenco, it's a dedication

Lol! Never did care for those for some reason, my daughter doesn’t either. They really are geared for collecting though.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 7 2023 19:15:55

devilhand

I get goosebumps and obsessed everytime I hear what he says at 3:20-4:07.

Say No to Fuera de Compás!!!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 7 2023 23:06:17

devilhand

If everything written here is true, I really need to step up my game.

quote:

ORIGINAL: guitarristamadrid

After I had been in Spain for not too long, I met a number of people who knew or had known Paco, Sabicas, Gerardo, etc. They all said these guys would practice for many hours every day. Pedro of Pedro de Miguel guitarras told me that he once saw Sabicas play for seven hours straight, after which he congratulated him for his dedication. Sabicas laughed and said "Eso no es estudiar" (implying that seven hours wasn't that much)

Entri has told me a number of stories about Paco where the guy just practiced obscene amounts of hours, blowing off all kinds of social events and other things in order to play picado exercises. One morning after a concert series had just ended Paco was apparently awake at the hotel at 7am sharp, practicing slow scales out on the balcony. Entri's brother, who was on tour with him, told him to stop and come inside and sleep, to which Paco said "Have you seen how our uncle Sabicas used to play? We can never stop practicing"

Entri told me that Canizares went through a period where he was obsessed with picado, and he practiced for one year, eight hours a day, just playing picado. After that there was some flamenco event where all the famous players met up (forget the details) and Entri said Canizares was playing better than everyone else.

Gerardo at one point apparently spent all his time in a bar in Madrid which had a sort of cave underneath it, and he would just practice all day long there and the bartender would bring him down food. Before this he wasn't as successful a player as he is now, but he reached some point where he got really serious about it and started going down to the cave and working on technique constantly, and after that was when his career really took off.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 30 2023 22:37:07

Ricardo

RE: Anyone else labeled as obsessed? (in reply to devilhand

quote:

If everything written here is true, I really need to step up my game.

Those are anecdotes. They don’t have to be “true”, but you take them as “where there is smoke, there is fire”. Keep in mind, practicing in Spain, very nearby to top level artists, and working shoulder to shoulder with some of them, for any amount of time, is not the same as practicing the wrong thing in your bedroom alone in some foreign country for hours a day, years and years, with no flamenco guitar.

Who is entri’s brother? I know his sons and nephews are quite good. None “toured” with Paco de Lucia. Cañizares was decent but Paco’s nephew Jose was clearly faster or more efficient, and both can be seen touring with paco de Lucia. Paco Cepero was as fast as or faster than Paco de Lucia and the rest of the picado famous guys. He toured with Gerardo Nuñez, and soon after Paco de Lucia mentioned Nuñez in interviews…that is when Gerardo got famous. I don’t know about any “caves” but I do know that he would annoy his neighbors in Madrid (he is from Jerez, and now has a home in Sanlucar de Barrameda where he gives classes in the summer, in addition to his Madrid home). Nuñez was working with Morente in 1995, and should have done the siguiriyas piece in the film. Due to some jealously of Sanlucar (he was not keen on Nuñez teaching in his home town) the music director Isidro (brother of Manolo Sanlucar) decided to pair Cañizares with Morente…hence the drop B tuning mess that he tried to do for him. Nuñez would have been MORE famous and respected by aficionados IMO, if he had been featured in that movie. He is a very humble guy…like Moraito, when he toured the USA flamenco festival he came with small billing as accompanist for Carmen Linares. The only two top dog guitar players that I have seen willing to do that.

We know for fact, Antonio Rey, after playing a full live stream concert, returned to his hotel promptly and FaceTimed a 3 hour practice session, hot off the stage. That is the realistic type thing going on with your quote. It is something for the cream to stay on top.

Playing with love, creativity, and deep understanding of the formal structure, is very different than doing exercises. John Williams, my personal favorite classical guitarist, has a huge repertoire but refuses to practice more than 30 minutes a day. That type of thing I don’t understand, because if you truly love music and it is not just “your job”, you have no choice but to spend time with the instrument, or at least active listening (learning) new music (or reading through material if you don’t have recordings).

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 31 2023 11:59:41

Florian

I mean there's probably a place on the "spectrum" for flamenco guitarists :)

I've been back to doing flamenco 2 weeks and I'm tired as hell I sleep 5 hours a night...all I've done besides work was practice...I haven seen a movie, a show or been able to focus on anything last 2 weeks lol last night I was up till 4 am practicing and watching flamenco stuff on YouTube.....but this could just be me.

Any minute not spent practicing is a dead minute.... could always work on something...

I've tried....I can't do anything half way ...I'm either all in or nothing.

I am obsessive as hell, Il make sure never to try crack or gambling...

I've heard stories of David Cerreduela leaving the cinema mid movie to go home practice...

Joking aside obsession is a gift....the world was changed by obsessed people not by mediocre " I don't really have a passion" people.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 31 2023 13:32:24

devilhand

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ramon Amira

Most of the great virtuosos started as young children and practiced very long hours. I once asked my teacher, Mario Escudero, how long he practiced when he was learning. His answer was, “From the time the sun came up until it went down.”

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 2 2023 22:07:18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote