Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Artificial nails   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

FelixH

Artificial nails 

I have been in a job for the last few months that has required me to have short nails and it has resulted in me neglecting the guitar but I am eager to start playing daily again. Artificial nails seem to be the logical alternative but I have no experience using them and can’t imagine they are as effective.
Has anybody here tried them? How are they? Are they easy to put on and take off etc?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 7 2022 12:06:50

Brendan

RE: Artificial nails (in reply to FelixH

They have to be glued on, and then no, they are not easy to take off.

https://sites.google.com/site/obscureflamencology/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 7 2022 23:26:29

Ricardo

Short nails can still work for playing. Not sure what job requires “shorter than average” nails, but I suspect that what you had been using were probably too long anyway. The only physical activity that harms my nails is dance rehearsals. it is inevitable that I end up making at least one fake one by show time. I use two ply paper towel and CA glue (Cyanoacrylate) and file flat for tone. These fake nails last about a week and fall off naturally. For the show this weekend I ended up making 2 last Thursday. One of them already fell off yesterday, the other one I suspect will fall off on Thursday or so.

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 8 2022 12:32:51

Stu

quote:

Not sure what job requires “shorter than average” nails

errr.... nail file tester?

thats all i got.

massuer?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 9 2022 9:55:35

AndresK

I do remember someone here at the foro years ago, I think he was a doctor or surgeon or something medical and having nails was not an option.

I would also suggest that someone could not have nails if he wanted to bite them, I had an electric guitarist friend that ate his nails the whole time like that. But then again this is not a job (the nail eating and not the electric guitarist part of course)

20 years ago I used acrylic nails made in a nail salon, because I played a lot with a 12 string acoustic Guild I had, and my nails would get destroyed. On my classical they were very hard to control and get a decent sound out of. They would also get caught on the strings very easily because the nail was very thick and hard. After that I used silk and glue to reinforce my nails until Jeronimo Maya advised me to let my nails natural so they could get harder by themselves, and eventually they did. Of course his nails where unbreakable.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 9 2022 20:42:23
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post