Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: What other Music do you guys listen to other than flamenco?   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Stu

RE: What other Music do you guys lis... (in reply to silddx

Re: Rush.
Honestly I dont know how I've never heard of them! 😄 im 43 years old and am pretty good at soaking up cultural stuff..even if I'm not directly onto it. Strange one

I had a little listen and on one listening its kinda hard to pass any fair judgement to whether I like or not. I'll keep it on my playlist and get back to you.

I would've def been into them had I listened in my electric guitar days.

Knower: I immediately like this. I will def check more of this out. Thanks! 😃
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 24 2022 11:12:32

JasonM

RE: What other Music do you guys lis... (in reply to Stu

Stu,

Have you heard this one?

https://youtu.be/auLBLk4ibAk

They played this on the radio a lot back in the day along with a lot of Michael Bolton, Peter Cetera, Christopher Cross lol
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 24 2022 13:24:30

Fluknu

RE: What other Music do you guys lis... (in reply to Stu

I'm into Bowie, Prince, Lou Reed, Brian Eno, Daniel Lanois, Willie Nelson, Townes van Zandt, Willy Deville (and Mink), John Cale, Zappa,Nick Cave, Gérard Manset. Classical also, Bach, Rachmaninov Beethoven, Penderecki, Palestrina.
In jazz, Miles, John abercrombie, Scofield, Metheney, Bill Evans.

But I have to admit I'm a bit done with that.

So I'm exploring old bands and albums I missed listenining too. But even that is not much fun for my ears at the moment.

I started digging into flamenco 5 years ago, so it's still a lot of fun, and it feels like my homebase for the moment.

And Rush of course....I got introduce to Rush by an american friend in 1990 who told me he wouldn't talk to me before I heard all of Rush. I enjoyed it.
Haven't listenned to them in years....Going to go for a revival.

My album of the week is Coney Islan Baby by Lou reed.

Fluknu
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 24 2022 15:11:16

Morante

RE: What other Music do you guys lis... (in reply to trivium91

Elmore James, Muddy Waters, Etta James, Otis Redding, Creedence, Rolling Stones, Lou Reed
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 24 2022 15:12:31

Stu

RE: What other Music do you guys lis... (in reply to JasonM

No haven't heard that tune. Kinda cool. Although in the interests of fairness, I think I need to listen to this stuff as opposed to watching the videos... Visually it's beyond parody! 😄 I mean it looks great... But can't help but chuckle at how dated it looks! Will listen on spotify I the car next week!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 24 2022 15:19:13

RobF

I can go for long stretches without listening to anything at all, but when I do listen my tastes are pretty eclectic, with the exclusion of most modern American pop stuff. Lately, I’ve been revisiting music from my younger years a bit, which is something I generally don’t do. Beyond that, Miles is always on my playlist and recently I’ve been enjoying the first few Malicorne albums (inspired to revisit them by a post from Piwin), the Irish piper Paddy Keenan, the sole Tommy Potts release from the 80s, Vicente Amigo, Camaron, various Celtic fiddle players, such as Kevin Burke, as I’ve started playing fiddle again, the Andy Irvine/Paul Brady album, Arty McGlynn, Zino Francescatti, Milstein and the like stuff, the Paul Butterfield Blues Band with Bloomfield seems to get hauled out a lot, various music from the Levant, so basically a mix of jazz, blues, Celtic, flamenco, and world music, from pretty well any era, if I had to try to pin it down. But it sure looks like recently I’ve been favouring music from the past…
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 24 2022 15:47:27

mark indigo

RE: What other Music do you guys lis... (in reply to silddx

quote:

quote:

In relation to which comment? [you need to quote it so i know what you are responding to]

quote:

I suspect you are being deliberately provocative :)

in relation to which comment? [you need to quote it so i know what you are responding to]
quote:

hoary old 70's prog rock band!

EDIT: damn, just seen there are actual Rush fans here, sorry guys, no offense intended... were they really as big as Pink Floyd though?

Yeah sorry, I should have quoted. I have seen so many discussions about the value of one band or another. It's all subjective. Some people can get very pissed off when someone disses their favourite artist and there are needless arguments and justifications.

Anyway, onwards and upwards.

It wasn't meant to be "deliberately provocative", it was a joke [ ] and only intended as a bit of gentle teasing - really, "70's prog rock" is just accurate, no? and it's from the 70's, so it's also "old", and "hoary" kind of just went along with that AND I apologised and said I meant no offense immediately...

actually if I had wanted to be provocative I would probably have just said, "this thread has nothing to do with flamenco and should be in the "Off Topic" section."

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 24 2022 19:37:33

silddx

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Sep. 25 2022 6:33:11
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 24 2022 22:01:19

trivium91

RE: What other Music do you guys lis... (in reply to JasonM

quote:

ORIGINAL: JasonM

You know what I find odd when listening to other Genres? When someone ask, “hey man, what you listening to?”, and I say Flamenco, And they say huh? I don’t feel like I have to explain to them anything about it or deal with any puzzled reactions 😆

The worst dealing I had was with a metalhead, he plays drums for a death metal band...they are pretty good. At any rate when he asked what style of guitar I played, I responded with Flamenco. He said " oh its that fruity Spanish guitar right", im like "What Fruity!", all I had to do was show him a video of Ben Woods when he said "Oh, I could just imagine the carpel tunnel".
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 26 2022 20:13:44

Piwin

Probably more rock/metal-oriented than anything. But I'm not hard to please. Just keep me away from the bling papi chulo stuff. ^^

Lately I've been listening a lot to Moop Mama. At first just to practice my German listening skills, which are crap, but I find myself enjoying the music quite a bit.

This evening I've been listening to Merzhin's latest album. Not sure yet. I don't dislike it, but it'll probably go in the "alright-but-too-derivative-to-make-a-mark" bin.

But really all of that is just an attempt to distract myself and finally get this out of my head:

I don't know what's worse, the dying duck quacking the baseline at the beginning, that woman trying to sound like a ghost, or the effin' "blue blue blue canary tweet tweet tweet tweet" line. It was fine at first, even enjoyable. But after a month stuck on repeat in my head it's like the whole song is conspiring to make me jump off a cliff. Die die die canary f@ck f@ck f@ck f@ck ^^

"Anything you do can be fixed. What you cannot fix is the perfection of a blank page. What you cannot fix is that pristine, unsullied whiteness of a screen or a page with nothing on it—because there’s nothing there to fix."
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 27 2022 21:07:09
Page:   <<   <   1 [2]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post