Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Guitar Storage   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

trivium91

Guitar Storage 

Where do you guys store your guitars? I built a humidified guitar cabinet with a glass front, inside it has a PVC pipe rack wrapped in foam where I can lean the guitars against to keep them stable. The only issue is the bottom of the guitar is only making contact with the ground on its rear edge, since it’s leaned. It would basically be supported by the same spot as if it were leaned against the wall, though there is no chance of it falling as there would be with an open wall. Is there any particular reason to not have the guitar leaning against a structure? Is it bad to have the guitar supported by the lower bout at an angle? I can also store the guitars upright with the strings making gentle contact with the PVC wrapped in foam, though this would in theory increase string tension slightly, just not enough to really push in the strings much. Where do you store multiple guitars? Storing on the wall is ok but is not protected from dust, and for those that live North keeping humidity at 45% in the winter is not an option.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 7 2022 15:03:00

mark indigo

RE: Guitar Storage (in reply to trivium91

quote:

Where do you guys store your guitars?

in a case, in a room, in a house... humidity varies between 60 in summer if/when it rains and it's wet, and 40 in winter if/when it doesn't rain and stays dry, so I figure that is about ok and don't worry about it.

If it went higher i might get the de-humidifier out, and if it occasionally drops below 40 in the winter i put wet towels on the radiator.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 20 2022 15:05:12

12850bd

I built a cabinet to house my guitars ...i cut slots in the shelf and made a wooden base covered in felt so the bottoms of the guitars dont get damaged.

Attachment (3)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 21 2022 4:10:53

davewphx

That's a pretty slick cabinet 12850bd! The only thing I would wonder about is the much larger volume to maintain the correct humidity in, then small individual guitar cases.

Dave
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 21 2022 15:02:57

Ricardo

RE: Guitar Storage (in reply to 12850bd

If you didn’t pop that D string playing, it is a sign of rapid humidity changes.

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 21 2022 17:47:33

ernandez R

Wow that is nice.

Seems like seeing the guitar and being to reach in and just pull her out and play rather then munky with a case is a plus.

A tight door seal will help keep any humidity swings under control and easy enough to humidify with a shelf bowl/box with a big sponge during the worst months? Not sure about a small dehumidifier suitable for a small cabinet, any ideas?

HR

I prefer my flamenco guitar spicy,
doesn't have to be fast,
should have some meat on the bones,
can be raw or well done,
as long as it doesn't sound like it's turning green on an elevator floor.

www.instagram.com/threeriversguitars
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 21 2022 17:56:07

ernandez R

I like to hang my guitars from the pegs.

here are a couple solutions I've come up with. Soft copper wire I hammer so it looks hand forged cause.

Always meant to make glass doors for the cabinet but never got around to it...

HR

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (4)

doesn't have to be fast,
can be raw or well done,

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 21 2022 18:01:53

ernandez R

Some other ideas I was playing with to work with an existing wall hanging rod in the gallery were I sell my guitars,

Attachment (4)

doesn't have to be fast,
can be raw or well done,

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 21 2022 18:09:32

trivium91

quote:

ORIGINAL: 12850bd

I built a cabinet to house my guitars ...i cut slots in the shelf and made a wooden base covered in felt so the bottoms of the guitars dont get damaged.

this is exactly what I did though yours is more fancy than mine, so the guitars are upright supported by the bottom and resting gently on the strings. I suppose there is smoke extra tension on the strings though im not sure if that matters.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 22 2022 15:39:49

trivium91

RE: Guitar Storage (in reply to ernandez R

quote:

ORIGINAL: ernandez R

Wow that is nice.

Seems like seeing the guitar and being to reach in and just pull her out and play rather then munky with a case is a plus.

A tight door seal will help keep any humidity swings under control and easy enough to humidify with a shelf bowl/box with a big sponge during the worst months? Not sure about a small dehumidifier suitable for a small cabinet, any ideas?

HR

I know they sell damp-rid which is just basically calcium chloride, though the downside is its not controlled. I run a dehumidifier in the basement during the summer months so it usually hovering around 45-55% for the whole basement. The winter is really dry though I will have to humidify just the cabinet.

But something like this might work:
https://www.amazon.ca/Pro-Breeze-Renewable-Cordless-Dehumidifier/dp/B01DCF0T1Y/ref=sr_1_9?crid=2VZOCJUM8FKW1&keywords=mini+dehumidifier&qid=1663857707&sprefix=mini+dehumidif%2Caps%2C184&sr=8-9

This looks promising though little big for just a cabinet.
https://www.amazon.ca/HAUTURE-Dehumidifier-1500Cubic-Portable-Dehumidifiers/dp/B08G8TZ5ZL/ref=sr_1_5?crid=2VZOCJUM8FKW1&keywords=mini%2Bdehumidifier&qid=1663857707&sprefix=mini%2Bdehumidif%2Caps%2C184&sr=8-5&th=1
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 22 2022 15:43:34

trivium91

RE: Guitar Storage (in reply to ernandez R

quote:

ORIGINAL: ernandez R

I like to hang my guitars from the pegs.

here are a couple solutions I've come up with. Soft copper wire I hammer so it looks hand forged cause.

Always meant to make glass doors for the cabinet but never got around to it...

HR

This looks great! Maybe some plexiglass would work for covers as its easy to work with?

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 22 2022 15:46:31

12850bd

RE: Guitar Storage (in reply to Ricardo

yeah Ricardo... probably correct...we live in Sydney and the weather has been going crazy. I should tune down when not using the guitars but I get slack.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 23 2022 0:30:46

trivium91

quote:

ORIGINAL: 12850bd

yeah Ricardo... probably correct...we live in Sydney and the weather has been going crazy. I should tune down when not using the guitars but I get slack.

I heard that tuning down does more harm than good, not sure if this is true or not. I have some cheaper guitars that have a truss rod, I mean it makes logical sense to not tune down since the truss rod puts force in the opposite direction of the string tension, though thats just my theory. Now that is for truss rods, not sure the same would apply if the guitar did not have a truss rod.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 23 2022 15:36:26

bahen

quote:

If you didn’t pop that D string playing, it is a sign of rapid humidity changes.

That's interesting. Is there something particular about the D string that makes it more sensitive to humidity changes?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 8 2022 11:41:09

Ricardo

RE: Guitar Storage (in reply to bahen

quote:

ORIGINAL: bahen

quote:

That's interesting. Is there something particular about the D string that makes it more sensitive to humidity changes?

It is the thinnest weakest string of the 6. That is why they wrap it. The other basses follow suite. The thickest unbreakable string is the G of course. Imagine continuing the levels of thickness from 1-6 if the D string didn’t start over with the wrap to make it heavier.

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 9 2022 17:12:28

trivium91

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricardo

quote:

ORIGINAL: bahen

quote:

It is the thinnest weakest string of the 6. That is why they wrap it. The other basses follow suite. The thickest unbreakable string is the G of course. Imagine continuing the levels of thickness from 1-6 if the D string didn’t start over with the wrap to make it heavier.

That explains why I always pop D strings right in my face at the second fret while playing, its due to wear and tear though.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 13 2022 17:11:22
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post