Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Knobloch flamenco black nylon strings (Luna Flamenca)   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

AndresK

Knobloch flamenco black nylon string... 

Hello. Has anyone tried these strings? It intrigued me that they come in low tension and they have a fancy name for their black nylon (Azabache). Of course they are a lot cheaper if someone lives in Europe, they seem very pricey in stringsbymail, but Matt there has a good opinion about them. Here they cost less than D' Addario composite sets.

There is only one video on youtube but with another luna flamenca set with their regular SN nylon where Chicuelo plays.

Anyone with any experience? If not I will take the chance and buy a set to review for the foro.

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (1)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 7 2022 12:09:50

ric

RE: Knobloch flamenco black nylon st... (in reply to AndresK

I am also curious about these, and if you have the money, I recommend the sterling silvers even if you try them once in a lifetime.
I'm not sure if I cared for the trebles in the video, let us know what you think!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 9 2022 16:40:57

AndresK

Ok I just ordered them. Not the sterling of course, sorry.

I will let you know when they come and share my opinion. I am currently trying again, after many years, the D Addario EJ25b. Not so bad as I remembered. Many positive things on them.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 9 2022 22:17:54

[Deleted] (in reply to AndresK

[Deleted by Admins]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 19 2022 10:13:49

Morante

RE: Knobloch flamenco black nylon st... (in reply to Guest

Jerónimo Pérez gave me a set of Knobloch. I put them on my guitar and threw them away after 2 days. The professional tocaores I know all use Savarez Alliance. So do I.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 19 2022 16:40:12

mt1007

Yo AndresK,

They are good man. Both black and clear trebles. If you have a blanca that is very bright use the SN trebles, somewhat bright go for the AZ trebles.

Grab a set and try for yourself is my best advice...

Haters gonna hate man....
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 20 2022 8:17:11

AndresK

Ok. They arrived today and I immediately put them on. More detailed review with some sound samples maybe the next weekend after they have settled. I have to give them some decent time to judge. First impression: Very nice and strong basses, especially for a light tension set, very crispy too. If they also have the standard Knobloch life span they will last long enough to justify their name. The price for Europe is almost as Savarez New Cristal Cantiga. They cost 14 euros and D'Addario EJ25B goes 17,5 euros. Definitely I like them better than the D'Addario black EJ25B. As expected they are very easy to fret with quite a good volume.

The trebles.. I will wait and see. I always feel the black trebles hold some of the sound for themselves and not giving it out. They are sweeter that the EJ25B that have an almost unbearable 1st string the first few days, and a bit closer to the La Bella 2001 black, but not the same. I also get a bit of strange buzzing on the second string when on the 5th 6th and 7th fret, something only Aquila sugar normal tension did to this guitar. I think that these might be the last black trebles I try (meaning I will go back to others) after having tried black trebles from La Bella, D'Addario, Luthier, Aranjuez and maybe something else I forget.

And what a strange statement on the back of the package
"For guitarists looking for a homogeneous, dark, muted sounds between the basses and the trebles."

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (3)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 28 2022 23:19:23

AndresK

Here it is:

guitar: V.Lazarides blanca

0:00 Francisco Tárrega - Recuerdos de la Alhambra
2:24 Verano Porteño - Astor Piazzola
3:26 Francisco Tárrega - Lágrima
4:34 Francisco Tárrega - Adelita
5:23 Sabicas - soleá
7:49 Jerónimo Maya - Tango
10:05 Paco de Lucia - Guajiras de Lucia
12:40 simple buleria compás
15:25 Francisco Tárrega - Capricho árabe
17:53 Agustín Barrios - Vals No.3
19:40 Isaac Albéniz - Asturias
22:44 Vicente Amigo - Vivencias Imaginadas
25:57 H.Villa-Lobos - Prelude No.5

Things that might not be heard in the video: The Knobloch LDA 31.5 is a very easy and relaxing set to play on, as it is low tension. You can actually bend easily the bass strings! (not that you need it, but it shows how easy they are). Their volume is quite nice and loud for a soft set, and especially the basses are marvellous and produce a very definite and clear note, making them some of the best basses I have ever tried! The trebles of this tension produce some unwanted buzzing even for a flamenco guitar (that you actually want buzzing) on my second string, so for this guitar they are not the best match. Maybe this particular guitar needs a bit higher tension.

Hope this video helps!

The above is the description from my channel. Now for some comments especially for the foro:
The basses are amazing, and really some of the best I have ever played. The trebles.. not amazing. They are better than other low tension trebles that I have played like lets say the Augustine classic, in terms of volume, but not overall. I am not comparing them to the La Bella 2001 flamenco low tension trebles because La Bella uses the exact same trebles as their medium tension set. The Knoblock Azabache nylon (that's the way they call their black nylon) is very elastic and that is why the 2nd string on my guitar has too much buzzing above the 5th fret, something that only happened with the Aquila sugar normal tension only in the past. To avoid this sitar buzzing I have to play picado very close to the bridge when trying to play loud. In arpegios, no problem. If you have low action, that is the case in most flamenco guitars, I would suggest to test a bit higher tension for the trebles. I really like those basses compared to the Knobloch classic double silver in medium tension that felt stiff especially on the 6th string. The trebles have a round, warmish sound, I would say, and not muffled. The first string sound very full especially if consider their diameter.

If I see anything more I will let you know.

Cheers!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 1 2022 23:40:33

AndresK

Quick update on the buzzing of the second string that I mentioned. It is gone after I switched the string and got the tuner side to the saddle. Weird thing, it seems that the excess buzzing was not a matter of elasticity as I assumed earlier.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 6 2022 19:19:28

Manitas de Lata

just me or the sound is kind of a Negra ?

not sure if i like them on my blanca , seems too dark , but maybe a good option for a 2Blanca rooster

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 28 2023 15:54:34

AndresK

These on the video are the sn nylons not the
black azabache ones. I think it is just
the recording, to my ears it is quite a blanca anyway.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 28 2023 17:39:30

Manitas de Lata

oh i see the video is on those strings

allright i will try them
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 28 2023 19:22:43

Ricardo

RE: Knobloch flamenco black nylon st... (in reply to Manitas de Lata

quote:

just me or the sound is kind of a Negra ?

Yes it is you.

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 28 2023 19:42:02

mt1007

AndersK,

Initially, these strings were fantastic for me, providing a smooth and soft playing experience. However, as they aged, I noticed a significant increase in string buzzing. While the trebles proved disappointing due to this issue, the basses held up well, even after extended periods of use such as gigs. It's worth noting that after two months, they are still in good condition. Wishing you a happy new year!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 28 2023 22:46:21

AndresK

The Knobloch basses are always very durable.
It's a shame none of their trebles satisfied me.
They always feel a bit weaker than I like.

Happy and musical new year to all!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 29 2023 0:03:25

Manitas de Lata

RE: Knobloch flamenco black nylon st... (in reply to mt1007

2 months playing regular is a miracle....
some strings are over passed 15 days (more or less) ...

hard to find la luna around here and with the tension that i what.

but found some sn qz actives "cheap"... really dont know if it worth to wait and order la luna directly for knobloch , or go for the actives

La Luna and daddario flamenco are expensive , daddario is more

its more than 5eu diference beetween Actives and Luna (inc ship), if with talk daddario is almost 10 eu difference... per set...

I think i will pass and stay with the actives... i like them , tone , touch , playability , price , durability..
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 29 2023 10:49:06

AndresK

RE: Knobloch flamenco black nylon st... (in reply to Manitas de Lata

Definitely not worth the Luna, not such big of a difference anyway. Stay with the Actives, they are great.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 29 2023 18:55:02

Manitas de Lata

well , i had to buy some others things to guitar maintance and had nice price in La bella 820 flamenco normal (they re going to the cheap guitar) and for the Savarez 510 arp alliance cantiga Premium normal (going to the better guitar)

i have to control myself if i dont like them, so i going with the "just for pratice" mentallity, leave the fun a little bit appart , but maybe i will have a nice surprise who knows..

so far the actives are my favourite , and i will try to buy them again for a better price, theres no place near to collect them to avoid paying ship...
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 29 2023 19:09:46

AndresK

That sounds good. The La Bella 820 is a great set of strings and to my opinion better than the Savarez for flamenco. If you like alliance trebles of Savarez that means you like fluorocarbon, which is a thinner treble string and more "metallic" in sound than nylon. So the next time you get Knobloch get the CX trebles that are also fluorocarbon and not sn or qz that are both nylon.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 30 2023 9:57:53

Manitas de Lata

never tried La , lets see how it goes , i ear that dont last to long , therefore goes for the cheap 2nd guitar, also as a try out.

not a huge fan of Savarez, cantiga/alliance is ok , cant recall the 6, 5 string... , never tried these Cantiga Premium.... , hope that premium stands for last longer than the normal ones...

Cx are expensive , im playing more often , im going to see now if cheaper lasts x days , and how many days lasts more expensive
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 30 2023 16:06:01

Manitas de Lata

quote:

The La Bella 820

The La Bella 820 sounds nice , darker , more control sound , very nice feel and touch , less projection , less mellow , more rough , very different from the Actives ns that sound more alive.
i dont think that its worst or opposite , its just different .
Sounds good even in the cheap classic guitar , that doesnt sound to much classical now.

Paid 10 euros for a set , very very pleased , very nice for pratice , lets hope that lasts for a while..
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 2 2024 23:45:32

devilhand

quote:

The La Bella 820 is a great set of strings and to my opinion better than the Savarez for flamenco.

Any thoughts on La Bella 2001 - Classical guitar strings LT silver plated wound?

Say No to Fuera de Compás!!!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 2 2024 23:58:19

AndresK

RE: Knobloch flamenco black nylon st... (in reply to devilhand

The 2001 is a great set I would play them again and again with no second thoughts. The light tension is one of my favourites as it plays easy but the guitar is not lacking anything. For example the Augustine classic black is also light tension but at some point lacks power and projection.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 3 2024 14:21:52

devilhand

quote:

The 2001 is a great set I would play them again and again with no second thoughts. The light tension is one of my favourites as it plays easy but the guitar is not lacking anything.

Awesome. I've been using it on my guitar for about 2 years. Already bought a new set last month in case it breaks soon. But it's still going strong.

Say No to Fuera de Compás!!!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 3 2024 18:36:24

AndresK

RE: Knobloch flamenco black nylon st... (in reply to devilhand

Changing the strings a bit more frequently can help in having a better sound and enjoy playing more. You don't have to wait for a string failure to change the strings. So I would suggest not to hold on to the same strings for more than a year. Especially the basses sound very dull and uninspiring if played over some months.

Of course maybe someone might not be able to change strings more often so it is ok to want to really use the strings to their limit. In that case maybe someone could get extra bass sets that cost a bit less than the whole set and change only the basses, as most trebles last way longer than the basses. You can buy a whole set and 2 more bass sets only so you can renew them when they sound dull. A fresh set of strings can really motivate someone to play more.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 3 2024 19:49:06

davewphx

I agree about the La Bella 2001 Light tension. I've bought 4 sets over thd last 2 years for 2 of my guitars. Do they make them with clear nylon as well, or just black guys?

Dave
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 3 2024 20:05:40

Ricardo

quote:

Changing the strings a bit more frequently can help in having a better sound

2 years!

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 4 2024 11:36:42
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]