Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Basket of luthiers   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

7thstring

Basket of luthiers 

Recently I was browsing different flamenco guitar luthiers and tried to get some general understanding who is making what and with what success.
The following luthiers get my attention (without any particular order):

a) Javier Mejías
b) Rafael Moreno Rodriguez
c) Jesús de Jiménez
d) Francisco Manuel Diaz Sanchez

Some of them provide (more or less) references to professional guitarists, which are using their products.

From those above, the Moreno is with the price in a totally different (higher) space. However, looking at his profile, it seems to me he is more like a classical guitar maker which makes flamenco guitar also, rather than specialized flamenco guitar luthier. Am I right?

I am sure all of them provide excellent sound. However, how is it regarding the craftsmanship details, durability of guitar parts and the service provided by those luthiers, if anything goes wrong? Is here anybody who has hand-on experience to compare?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 10 2022 23:20:42

Pgh_flamenco

RE: Basket of luthiers (in reply to 7thstring

I doubt anyone has enough experience with these builders to answer your questions. I’ve heard of Jiménez, but not the others. It looks like Moreno only builds for one company and his guitars cost $11,000 - lol. There are well-established builders who charge half that for their best guitars. Conde Hermanos is the industry standard for flamenco guitars. Are you looking to buy a flamenco guitar?

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 11 2022 2:11:33

7thstring

quote:

Are you looking to buy a flamenco guitar?

Yes, I am thinking about that, and looking for options.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 11 2022 4:34:16

Morante

Jerónimo Perez guitars are played by Paco Cepero, Jesús Guererro, Miguel Salado etc.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 11 2022 13:08:23

Echi

All of them are excellent guitar makers.
Rafael Moreno worked for many years making flamenco guitars for Eduardo Ferrer. He sells more classical guitars than flamenco just because they are more profitable. I used to have one and sold it because of a too soft pulsacion in that case. The guitar was just excellent otherwise.
Never tried a Mejas but Diego del Morao used to play one as Antonio Rey so it must be good. For sure good for the money.
Jesus de Jimenez and Diaz are used by plenty of pro players as well (Manolo Franco, Riqueni, Nino de Pura and Dani de Moron regularly play concerts with the guitars of Jesus). Francisco Manuel Diaz is the disciple of Manuel de la Chica and runs a shop in Cuesta de Gomerez. I tried his guitars and they are definitely good. His son Victor is also excellent.
Other than the name you have mentioned, my 2 cents are for old Conde or Ramirez or Bellido or also for new Javier Castano or Geronimo Perez.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 11 2022 14:27:45

Pgh_flamenco

RE: Basket of luthiers (in reply to Echi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Echi
All of them are excellent guitar makers.
Rafael Moreno worked for many years making flamenco guitars for Eduardo Ferrer. He sells more classical guitars than flamenco just because they are more profitable. I used to have one and sold it because of a too soft pulsacion in that case. The guitar was just excellent otherwise.
Never tried a Mejas but Diego del Morao used to play one as Antonio Rey so it must be good. For sure good for the money.
Jesus de Jimenez and Diaz are used by plenty of pro players as well (Manolo Franco, Riqueni, Nino de Pura and Dani de Moron regularly play concerts with the guitars of Jesus). Francisco Manuel Diaz is the disciple of Manuel de la Chica and runs a shop in Cuesta de Gomerez. I tried his guitars and they are definitely good. His son Victor is also excellent.
Other than the name you have mentioned, my 2 cents are for old Conde or Ramirez or Bellido or also for new Javier Castano or Geronimo Perez.

The poster was asking for detailed information and not just a list of of famous players who play guitars built by the luthiers he mentioned.

quote:

However, how is it regarding the craftsmanship details, durability of guitar parts and the service provided by those luthiers, if anything goes wrong? Is here anybody who has hand-on experience to compare?

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 11 2022 14:56:55

Pgh_flamenco

quote:

ORIGINAL: 7thstring

quote:

Are you looking to buy a flamenco guitar?

Yes, I am thinking about that, and looking for options.

How much are you willing to spend on a guitar? It helps to know your budget. Are you a beginner, intermediate or advanced player?

There are guitar makers on the Foro who make high quality guitars. You should check their posts and websites.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 11 2022 15:06:51

Piwin

RE: Basket of luthiers (in reply to Echi

quote:

Francisco Manuel Diaz is the disciple of Manuel de la Chica and runs a shop in Cuesta de Gomerez. I tried his guitars and they are definitely good. His son Victor is also excellent.

Not entirely sure but I think the name mentioned in the OP is his other son, Francis. On paper it's just the last name that's different. IIRC padre is Diaz Fernandez. But you'd have to double check.

"Anything you do can be fixed. What you cannot fix is the perfection of a blank page. What you cannot fix is that pristine, unsullied whiteness of a screen or a page with nothing on it—because there’s nothing there to fix."
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 11 2022 15:13:48

Echi

quote:

However, how is it regarding the craftsmanship details, durability of guitar parts and the service provided by those luthiers, if anything goes wrong?
The question was generic enough to be taken as a general advice about the makers imho.
For instance, durability of guitar parts doesn’t mean anything to me.
What I can say is that Moreno and Jesus de Jimenez are easy people to deal with. In the latter case I bought a used guitar and just dealt with Jesus after: he was friendly and organised a little job on the guitar for a reasonable price.
With regards of Mejas, I can just say that he answers soon to the e-mails and gave me the impression to be well organised and reliable but eventually I have no infos about his after sale service.
In 1998 I went to Granada and bought directly from their shops a German Perez Barranco and a Manuel Diaz. Both were pleasing people and didn’t have any sort of problem. I am not aware of any kind of warranty but I guess they would take care of a problem just if it is evident it was their fault. I can say they use first grade woods and you shouldn’t have problems. The 2 guitars I bought were made with very old brazilian rosewood which was very dry and stable. At the time it wasn’t forbidden yet.
All in all I consider the guitar made by Rafael Moreno the best of the bunch in terms of quality and the Jesus de Jimenez the more flamenco Conde like.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 11 2022 15:20:14

7thstring

Thanks for all ideas, I need to think about them.

I will keep checking this forum if any new posts are submitted.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 11 2022 17:47:41
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post