Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Question about the "modular" nature of Flamenco   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

TrickyFish

Question about the "modular&quo... 

I am a beginner at Flamenco guitar. I have a question about the "modular" nature of Flamenco guitar (I have heard it described as such).

My understanding is that a player will learn different falsettas and ways of playing the core compass for a particular palos, then combine these into his / her own style / com-position.

For example, I am currently learning from the Juan Martin book. Is it appropriate to learn a Soleares from Juan Martin, but re-arrange it and insert a Soleares falsetta from modern player? Not sure if this is "the done thing" or sacrilegious.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 5 2021 4:35:37

Ricardo

RE: Question about the "modular... (in reply to TrickyFish

The idea is to use compas to accompany the singer, and there is a specific structure for that stuff. The falsetas are short interludes between the lines of verse. In the world of baile it is similar to this except the compas style will be much more involved and aggressive. The falsetas can sometimes get more involved as well depending on how the dancer conceptualizes their art (set choreographies require elaborate falsetas set to specific, sometimes uncomfortable tempos. Dancers that enjoy improvisation welcome the typical short falsetas that are used for cante).

All of this is or SHOULD be in the mind of the guitarist when he “creates” a solo instrumental piece. Chordal structure and cante melody is NOT typically copied because the guitarist would be arranging falsetas that he or she normally would use between letras of cante or for the dance. In some cases, if the guitarist needs more music and doesn’t have enough falsetas to fill out a 4 minute solo, then they can, in lieu of having a singer, interpret known cante melodies as a melodic falseta. In the modern era, rather than doing that, a guitarist might compose an estribillo (a repeating chorus, not typical way to sing flamenco cantes) and higher some famous singer to sing that in order to “decorate” his latest falseta collection.

Regarding juan Martin, this type of thing you are asking comes down to taste–which hopefully you understand develops of a long period of time after learning and growing. The best thing for you would be to learn all you can from any source that inspires you, and hopefully you will get some formal lessons at some point to clarify things.

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 5 2021 16:50:48

TrickyFish

Thanks for the feedback; much appreciated.

The clip below is where i heard the concept of Flamenco being modular:

https://youtu.be/_MBxZTtDy4w
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 10 2021 3:52:25

kitarist

quote:

ORIGINAL: TrickyFish]

The clip below is where i heard the concept of Flamenco being modular:

That's a great video; but as with anything complicated, there are layers of explanation and this one is meant as an introduction. You are right that, based on it, you can technically do what you asked. Additional considerations might, however, tell you that the result could sound musically incongruous to an aficionado because of the clash of very different styles.

Cheers mate.

Konstantin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 10 2021 18:41:34
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll