Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Flamenco Prejudice Hangover   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Ron.M

Flamenco Prejudice Hangover 

Just a copy of my reply to zata's post on this subject on the Hangover site....

Hi Zata,
Just had to reply. (love the term "idiot trap" LOL!)
I was just investigating the contradiction of non-Spanish Flamenco guitarists desiring acceptance as a bona fide player, yet holding slightly prejudiced views themselves regarding their fellow "foreign" guitarists.
I'm really only talking about those of us who live outside Spain.
I've heard that guy Peter "El Ingles" and he is indistinguishable from any good Andalucian guitarist I've heard, both in tone and technique. He is very, very good.
However he has I believe spent most of his adult life living in Sevilla!

There is also the very slim chance that the UK group could have been made up of such people, very talented and hard working and having lived for years amongst the Flamencos in Andalucia.
The Jerez group could have been a bunch of mediocre student performers, financing a "working vacation" in the United States.
We'll never know!!
Anyway, it was just meant to be an interesting fun thing.

About this new Forum.....I have a built in reluctance myself to all these changes.
I felt that this Forum was good enough, and I hate having to learn how everything works etc....getting too old for that sorta stuff!
However we have no idea what might happen to MSN in the coming years.
Microsoft may decide to sell that part of the business on, or require a "paid" MSN Passport for membership etc...who knows?
I think a lesson was learned by everyone from Dimitri pulling the plug on his site after running for years. He could do that because the site was privately owned.
From what I understand, Simon wants the site to run on a devolved ownership and moderator basis, so that the site will still go on should things change and he loses interest or whatever. I like that idea.
Also, from the architecture point of view, the site is more "flexi" and the features, furniture and look can change according to requirements, whereas MSN is restricted.
Obviously there is the running cost of the Hosting Service, but with a decent membership I doubt if that would amount to a few dollars each per year.
I know all of this is very idealistic and everything, but I think it's worth a go!
Go on zata....it'll only take a couple of minutes to sign in!

cheers

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 16 2003 10:52:58

Merle

RE: Flamenco Prejudice Hangover (in reply to Ron.M

Estela is a very smart/bright person, but, for her to say, "I can't handle any more changes...", is a good example of how people resist CHANGE. I mean, just how hard is it to type a different url, save it, and your done.

If change never occurs, can you imagine how stale things would be? ;>) Anyway, I really hope she comes over here because I love reading her insights, and other news that she provides.

It's kinda the same with Paco Picado, he thinks he has to pay to post, or know one will answer his posts! How crazy is that? ;>)

Anyway, hopefully others will eventually find their way here, and things will settle down a bit.

Merle

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 16 2003 12:49:02
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote