Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Classical on a flamenco guitar   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Andy Culpepper

Classical on a flamenco guitar 

Makes me wonder why I even make "classical" guitars anyway. Also, watching this video on YouTube is worth it just for the bottom comment

Andy Culpepper, luthier
http://www.andyculpepper.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 26 2021 3:15:55

Richard Jernigan

RE: Classical on a flamenco guitar (in reply to Andy Culpepper

Guitar sounds really great.

I play both classical and flamenco on my Blackshear "Reyes" model negra. I have classicals that are more "classical" and a couple of blancas that may be a little more "flamenco," but not much more flamenco, if any. They're all different.

Pegs, or Pegheds on yours? I had Kenny Hill replace the rosewood pegs on my Ramirez with machines. The pegs had worn a bit and were hard to use.

I took the guitar to Gryphon in Palo Alto to ask them to do it. Frank Ford came out of the back room to lecture me about "preserving the character of the instrument." I told him Jose Ramirez III had offered to do the job, but I never had the guitar in Madrid long enough to get it done. Ford acted like he didn't believe me.

A while later I was at Randy Osborne's shop in Campbell, next to San Jose. I grumbled about the pegs. He said he would call Kenny Hill. The deed was done.

I ordered a first class blanca for a friend from Juan Pimentel in Mexico City. The ebony pegs on it worked like a charm for years, better than the Ramirez did when it was new.

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 26 2021 14:13:58

Mark2

The guitar sounds amazing!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 26 2021 16:18:27

Morante

I once lent my guitar to a friend who was a student in the conservatorio. The top students had to give a short public concert at the end of the course. Six had classical rosewood guitars, he had a flamenca blanca. He won the prize for best performance and the guitar was considered the best of the concert.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 26 2021 16:29:12

Piwin

Your guitar sounds fantastic Andy! But yeah, I gotta agree with that commenter: those tuners are just blasphemous man. What the hell, they're underneath the headstock???!!! I know people want to innovate but sometimes the traditional design is the better one. I mean, who the hell does that?!

@kitarist Ruchenitsa?

"Anything you do can be fixed. What you cannot fix is the perfection of a blank page. What you cannot fix is that pristine, unsullied whiteness of a screen or a page with nothing on it—because there’s nothing there to fix."
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 26 2021 16:35:09

kitarist

RE: Classical on a flamenco guitar (in reply to Piwin

quote:

@kitarist Ruchenitsa?

More like a slow 'horo'. You are right that the piece is in 7/8 which is the same time signature as ruchenitsa, but with the subdivisions they are different. Ruchenitsa is a fast 2,2,3 while this piece is a very slow 3,2,2, so the time signature with its two numbers is not enough information by itself to distinguish between these.

One might say that 2,2,3 and 3,2,2 should feel the same once you start repeating the pattern (2,2,3,2,2,3,2,2,3,2,2..), however the melody and harmonic changes are such that the difference to the ear remains. The very different expected tempo also makes a difference to my ear.

Konstantin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 26 2021 16:44:57

Piwin

RE: Classical on a flamenco guitar (in reply to kitarist

Cheers. Thanks.

"Anything you do can be fixed. What you cannot fix is the perfection of a blank page. What you cannot fix is that pristine, unsullied whiteness of a screen or a page with nothing on it—because there’s nothing there to fix."
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 26 2021 17:14:03

JasonM

Man it sounds great! Who’s the luthier?

Toddk had a couple of vids of him playing classical on his Brune Blanca, I was amazed at how classical it sounded.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 26 2021 19:00:55

Andy Culpepper

Thanks all. It's a really nice performance, and he found a real sweet spot for pulling out that tone. It's amazing how much you can do with right hand positioning. I would be interested to know why he chose my guitar for that piece, but it makes sense that the earthier tone works well for somewhat folk-inspired music.

The tuners are planetary geared pegs. I'm willing to bet that that commenter did not know that, or that Torres used wooden pegs. If their point was that friction pegs are superior or more traditional then touché.

Andy Culpepper, luthier
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 27 2021 3:28:19

rombsix

quote:

The tuners are planetary geared pegs. I'm willing to bet that that commenter did not know that, or that Torres used wooden pegs. If their point was that friction pegs are superior or more traditional then touché.

That commenter is just an idiot.

Ramzi

http://www.youtube.com/rombsix
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 27 2021 4:22:44

RobJe

Other GSI videos remind us that the flamenco guitar offers possibilities for other non-flamenco music that doesn't demand that 'sweet spot' sound. Miroslav Tadić frequently plays a 1987 Manuel Bellido blanca.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 11 2021 21:31:46

Andy Culpepper

Ole! He even plays in the flamenco position. Not a huge fan of the first piece but the guitar sounds great.

Andy Culpepper, luthier
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 12 2021 4:21:41
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll