Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Manuel Reyes Hijo   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Morante

Manuel Reyes Hijo 

Has this guitarrero disapeared? He was once a great promise, "according to his father".
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 3 2021 17:03:07

mt1007

RE: Manuel Reyes Hijo (in reply to Morante

I found this info online:

Guitarras Manuel Reyes
Trabajo C/ Armas, 4 Córdoba Córdoba 14002 Teléfono Trabajo: 957 47 91 16

I think hijo is using this info as well. No website though. I have never played an hijo guitar. Though one just sold on eBay. It turned out to be a copy. So I guess he is still relevant if people are making copies and trying to pass them on as the real deal. The fake was videoed/photographed internally and reviewed by hijo. He right away stated internal bracing was glued using titebond, where as he uses animal hide glue.

I would like to try one to compare to fathers, they sell for around 8 to 10k Euros I think. Have you tried one?

Saludos Morante...
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 3 2021 17:37:55

mark indigo

there's a 2020 guitar listed here, so I guess he is still making guitars, or was last year:

https://www.flamencoguitarsforsale.net/guitarras-manuel-reyes-hijo/guitarra-flamenca-manuel-reyes-hijo-2020/

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 3 2021 18:37:23

Ricardo

The early batches (2005 or so?) were probably completed by Papa so he could make a name. I played a couple great ones. Antonio Rey was using one I think on Colores del Fuego that sounded great. But I played a later model that was quite mediocre...I felt like whatever papa had put into those early batches of guitars was great and now missing. But I have not tried any others in many years...only used old Papa guitars. But true, we don’t hear much about them because the price was through the roof already back in 2005.

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 3 2021 21:51:22

Echi

I’m not an expert of Reyes but my guess is that the guitars made by Manuel Jr. are not that far from the last guitars made by his father. I admit, it’s just a speculation, but the guy has been working for years and his guitars are still in high demand. Btw they follow strictly Manuel Sr. design, assembly method, and are made from the same wood stock.
Main problem here is the high price and the market target.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 4 2021 11:22:27

Morante

RE: Manuel Reyes Hijo (in reply to Ricardo

quote:

The early batches (2005 or so?) were probably completed by Papa so he could make a name

I placed an order for one after talking with Papa. After 3 years it was ready, at 4000 euros, so I went to Córdoba to pick it up. However, my first impressions were that it sounded ordinary, was a little bit sloppily built and the varnish was nothing special.

Then I discovered that the note at the 12th fret was a quarter tone lower than the harmonic. Papa came out and insisted the notes were the same. I demonstrated with an electronic tuner that the note was flat. He said the tuner did not work. So I refused the guitar and went home empty handed.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 4 2021 13:04:22

Plazoleño

Antonio rey play with an hijo 98
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 7 2021 11:44:47

Plazoleño

the first hijos of the late 90's and early 2000's are made by the father, at least the table, the bracing ...
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 7 2021 11:47:28

Pali

I know him well, most professionals don't like his guitars because they say they are mediocre.
The son of Manuel Reyes never wanted to learn the trade from his father, when he was around 25-28 ... years old and seeing that he had nothing, no job, no studies ...... he was forced to work with his father, talent cannot inherit because it is innate to the individual.
His father showed me an agenda with a waiting list of 4 years, most of them Japanese, and he told me that he would no longer do them
He clearly differentiated the labels on each instrument and his son's guitars were always rectified by his father and the price was almost the same as his father's.

He inherited the agenda from his father but there are many people who canceled his order and others when they came to pick it up did not take it away.

I talked to Manuel Silveria about it, and he told me that they didn't like him at all and that's the general opinion.
I have tried Reyes Sr. and I love the ones he made between 1965-1975 But for me Miguel Rodriguez is far above, it is a personal opinion.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 4 2021 22:58:02

Morante

RE: Manuel Reyes Hijo (in reply to Pali

quote:

But for me Miguel Rodriguez is far above, it is a personal opinion.

I once played a Rodriguez de arce y abeto in the shop of Postigo. One of the very best guitars I had ever played. I asked the price. He told me not for sale.

A couple of years later I went to vist and asked for the Rodriguez. He said that a japonés offered him 20,000 euros and he sold it. So much for Postigo
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 5 2021 16:39:32

Ricardo

M. Reyes sr were going for $8,000 when Conde was $5-6000. THe jr Reyes in 2004-5 was only 4-$5000 and the early one was well worth it. My student traded his first MR jr in for a new one because he prefered the rosette design, and when I played it I told him “wooops, the other one was way better”. But he kept it anyway. Suddenly at that same time or soon after, M. Reyes sr shot up to $20,000 for no reason other than his sons guitar where hitting the market, and the popularity of Vicente and Tomatito (the only solo flamenco concertizers other than PDL doing world tour). I was able to get one for a different student at $15,000. It was a 70’s era, amazing guitar with an inspired sparkly tone. I used it for a week and composed music on it. Those days of that type of instrument are gone I am afraid. So they remain collectors items.

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 5 2021 17:44:28

devilhand

quote:

He said that a japonés offered him 20,000 euros and he sold it. So much for Postigo

You should have said to him April Fools day is over.

Say No to Fuera de Compás!!!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 5 2021 18:29:10

Pali

I knew all the Rodriguez.
I was small and used to attend the workshop, his grandfather Miguel Rodriguez no longer worked, he had a very sour character, his son continued to build José Rodriguez was a classical guitar professor at the Higher Conservatory of Music, he was my career teacher and as a partner I had a his son Jose Miguel Rodriguez.
Jose Rodriguez died of cancer and only his nephew stayed in the workshop, he was lazy and drunk.
Jose Rodriguez's son (my partner) tried to refloat the workshop and named him after him, but he was very young and had no art, he joined up with another amateur builder to teach him and that didn't work.
Among all that, the drunken nephew sold all the wood to another builder in the province of Jaen.
Jose Miguel filed a complaint and they were on trial for a long time, finally he lost all the possibility of recovering the wood and currently a large part of it has another builder with the same name but who has no relationship with them.
The new Jose Rodriguez Peña has nothing to do with the Rodriguez family, everything you hear about it is false. The authentic Rodriguez family never gave confidence to anyone and less in matters of their workshop and their guitars, they were very closed and proud.
The new Rodriguez Peña says that he has been building since he was 12 or 13 years old and that the "Rodriguez Bietio" even gave him advice, it is false, he worked as a kitchen fitter in Andujar (jaen), I was in Andujar when he started making guitars trying to buy one that was not very expensive. After taking advantage of the disappearance of the authentic Rodriguez, he settled very close to where they were and he is still there. He makes some really good guitars. This is a brief summary of what happened, this Rodriguez acted very badly since he took advantage of the drunk nephew and obtained the woods at a low price ......
I have used the translator, if you don't understand something, tell me.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 6 2021 15:13:54
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post