Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Index of the best transcriptions / videos / tutorials for selected pieces   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

joevidetto

Index of the best transcriptions / v... 

Coming back to flamenco from many years ago - it's a pleasure to find an abundance of new transcriptions, artist performances, and tutorials for so many excellent pieces. Having started learning flamenco decades ago , at that time the ONLY reasonable transcriptions I had to work with were PDL's Pandaderos and Cepa Andalusia (by a German musician, I think). Of course - I bought lots of plain old crappy transcritions over the years. Now, as I revisit, it's time to throw all the crappy stuff away and pick new transcriptions and videos to study from. BTW - what a treat when the Encuentro series came out - the highest quality flamenco teaching videos/transcriptions that set a new standard : )

I've gone back to the first bulerias falsettas my teacher taught, many from El Tempul, to find the most accurate transcription and tutorial videos. For El Tempul, there are many. The most accurate, full piece vidoeo tutorial I've found for El Tempul are from atrafana.com. In fact, there is a page where he shares performance videos of all of his transcriptions, and I think it's very good. I'm sure many of you have seen it - probably even used it.

I know Ricardo likely has a few from El Tempul on his website, as well as many more - his stuff is always accurate and well delivered. I am familiar with Grisha's videos also - also amazing. Recently stumbled upon Luciano web page, also excellent. No offense to you other members that are playing and sharing excellent video transcriptions also - I haven't yet gotten familiar with your Youtube presence yet (looking forward making time for that that soon - that will involve looking your names up and youtube searching on them, but feel free to share with me if you want - PM, or below : )

Atrafana performances

I've spent a LOT of time scouring Youtube, and looking over old transcritpions. I was wondering what you guys think of the idea - or maybe you have done it already, of having one link to share, for pieces you've worked on, he best currently available

1.) video artist performances (with clear views of fingers)
2.) video tutorials
3.) accurate transcriptions

As far as transcriptions go, older Paco pieces often have many - Fauche, the offical PDL Partituras series (by various authors), Japanese, miscellaneous books. As transcriptions go - usually I think Fauche and the partituras series are are the most accurate (with some exceptions) - but you will sometimes find others. I know that Enrique Varas's transcriptions are some of the most accurate out there, and he has published many transcription books. There is Claude Worms, and a few I've missed.

While brushing up on the traiditional pieces, I would like to start learning some of my favorites of the more modern flamenco pieces. One is PDL's Playa de Carmen. For this, I've currently found the following PDL video, which is better than nothing, but the video on the fingers is really lacking.

Could any of you share the best original artist videos, tutorials, and transcriptions for Play Del Carmen, and any other post-almoraima pieces you may have worked on ?

For the modern PDL stuff - I like to call it 'post Almoraima', I think there is only Leiva and Fauche, but if you know of any other transcripitions and video tutorials for pieces from these albums, please share.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 7 2021 16:28:31

rombsix

RE: Index of the best transcriptions... (in reply to joevidetto

Great that you're organizing things in your head and looking to tackle these systematically. I want to do that as well at some point, but I always worry about learning complicated stuff because I say to myself I can barely play traditional simple falsetas, let alone try to practice these kinds of gargantuan works...

Ramzi

http://www.youtube.com/rombsix
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 7 2021 17:57:50

joevidetto

RE: Index of the best transcriptions... (in reply to rombsix

quote:

I always worry about learning complicated stuff because I say to myself I can barely play traditional simple falsetas

I once felt that way - but then I realize my love for the music comes from frequent listening and understanding the more 'modern' sounds - so I split my time now. That said - and I know I am going to get some criticism here - I separate learning a new piece into " learning the text" - e.g trying to get my fingers over all the notes and chords very slowly (listening to the time repeatedly, but not yet worrying about playing in rhythm yet because I still don't know the notes to play) - then trying to play in time at a slow tempo - then building up speed. All the while analyzing the harmony and scales/modes used.

If you can do this with the older stuff - you can also do it with a lot of the newer stuff...Now building up the tempo is another story, but once I can play it slowly, that lends itself well to practicing while watching tv - which I'm addicted to Netflix.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 7 2021 18:50:16

Ricardo

quote:

Could any of you share the best original artist videos, tutorials, and transcriptions for Play Del Carmen, and any other post-almoraima pieces you may have worked on ?

Leiva is an ok starting point. Faucher is the most accurate IMO. Worms has some paco stuff, and i have a book in standard notation by a Japanese guy that has several sirocco pieces like niño curro, tanguillo, minera, live versions of bulerias and La barrosa. It also has colombianas and entre dos aguas (so people other than me would actually buy it ). The same guy did Almoraima in standard notation that I also have.

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 7 2021 18:51:28

mark indigo

quote:

As far as transcriptions go, older Paco pieces often have many - Fauche, the offical PDL Partituras series (by various authors), Japanese, miscellaneous books. As transcriptions go - usually I think Fauche and the partituras series are are the most accurate (with some exceptions) - but you will sometimes find others. I know that Enrique Varas's transcriptions are some of the most accurate out there, and he has published many transcription books. There is Claude Worms, and a few I've missed.

Try https://tabsflamenco.com/ also a member here.

You probably do this anyway, but compare different transcriptions of the same solo. I now always go first to the original audio (and/or video), and "compare notes" with transcribers and/or video tutorials etc. AFTER I have worked out each falseta or section. Sometimes the results are surprising!

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 8 2021 21:47:55
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post