Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Looking for some players at my level to practice with virtually   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

joevidetto

Looking for some players at my level... 

Hi all,

I'm pretty new here - and thrilled at finding this website. I had completely lost interest in playing flamenco because I'm a "closet advanced amateur". Sometimes I like to call myself a professional student. Without the social aspect of music - performing, jamming with others (or at least meeting and sharing), I lose interest in practicing, and just stop for long periods.

I'm looking to find some people at a similar level as I am, to meet virtually occasionally, teach each other some new things, learn some new falsettas together, and nudge and encourage each other to learn new things each month.

By closet advanced amateur, I mean the following (gonna put a list here, in case you'd like to share your own level of expertise);

Music in general
-----------------------
1. music major ?
. No
2. main job:
. NOT music related
3. number of years playing guitar (any type of music):
. 30, on and off
4. read music ?
. slowly
5. familiar with theory ?
. scales and modes, cadences, progressions using roman numerals
6. style of music you've spent most hours learning ?
. classic rock, pop
7. Number of times per year I perform paying music gigs:
. 0 (thus, a 'closet' player)
8. Jammed with others regularly, or currently
. no - never found the right people to do this - thus a 'closet' player
9. Fluent at soloing over progressions ?
. No - but I'd like to learn to do this
10. Age ?
. 54
11. still take flamenco lessons ?
. periodically (stopped for a while, just started again)

Flamenco
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
12. total number of Falsetas I've learned at one time or another:
. 20+
13. main flamenco interest ?
contemporary instrumentals
(not dance accompaniment, not accompanying cante - but interested
to the extent it helps learn, understand, and help me play contemporary
instrumentals)
14. falsettas of other artists I can play in compas right now:
. 0, but with practice, they come back at slightly or much slower
tempos than the original artists
15. number of falsettas I have composed ?
. 0 - but I'd like to move toward doing this
16. from which artists have I learned most of my falsettas - from most to least ?
. PDL, Tomatito, Riqueni

Current musical goals ?
---------------------------------------------------
1. relearn my 20 falsettas in compas at reasonable tempos, in compas, with swing
2. learn new falsettas - mostly enjoy listening to PDLs later, highly syncopated falsettas
3. ? is that it - that's all of your goals ?
. yes - aspiring to perform, which was a goal for many years, I recently gave up on - it's just not realistic given the amount I practice - and I don't need the stress lol Starting at 14, I had hope that music would help me get chicks, make some side money (give lessons or do wedding gigs...or gasp make it big lol). Of course I enjoy the music itself. At best I made some side money giving lessons to little kids in my late teens - none of the others worked out. It's been hard to accept that most of what I had hoped for from music hasn't materialized - but now it's just become a hobby that I enjoy in and of itself, and to keep my mind busy...and that's enough.

Well - probably TMI - but if you've read through all this and think we might make good virtual flamenco buddies and you'd like to chat, teach each other, and work on some new falsettas together, pm me.

Seems there are some regulars here that probably know all this about each other, but if you're willing - please share your profile.

Best,
Joe
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 28 2021 15:11:22

johnnefastis

RE: Looking for some players at my l... (in reply to joevidetto

Hi Joe,

There has always been lots of sharing of videos on here. I haven't seen so much lately, but there is the falsetta swap shop, cante accompiment thread etc. The challenges were also really good. They are all archived.

In those falsettas were recorded as audio and then voted for blind. It was always a great and brutal learning experience.

Not sure if anyone is around at the moment who ran one, but it would be great to see another one set up. Maybe you could do that?

Cheers.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 28 2021 17:18:45

mark indigo

quote:

I'm looking to find some people at a similar level as I am, to meet virtually occasionally, teach each other some new things, learn some new falsettas together, and nudge and encourage each other to learn new things each month.

I think that is the idea of the "falseta swap shop"

http://www.foroflamenco.com/tm.asp?m=156803&p=1&tmode=1&smode=1

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 28 2021 19:09:56

ddias

I'm surprised no one has suggested this before and given the rest of the world has happily pivoted to doing everything on Zoom!

I too felt my playing stagnated in the past year - perhaps because I didn't go to Jerez/Seville/Granada for the first time in years for immersion and inspiration. There's a flamenco school in a town near to me (I'm in South Germany) but the pandemic has obviously put a stop to this.

I found a teacher online whose YouTube videos I liked, and I've had a couple of lessons - possibly the first time I've interacted with another musician in realtime in a couple of years - and it's certainly helped me get my mojo back again.

I'll DM you!

D
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 30 2021 17:13:02
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll