Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

What are members using to humidify?   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

machopicasso

What are members using to humidify? 

Curiously, what are members using to humidify their guitars these days?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 18 2020 5:57:28

Filip

RE: What are members using to humidify? (in reply to machopicasso

I use D'addario's Humidipack, a few friends recommended it to me. It is supposed to keep humidity level in your guitar case constant.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 18 2020 10:58:35

BarkellWH

Regarding humidifying your guitar in a dry environment, instead of buying a humidifying kit or a case with built-in humidifying nodes, you might consider a simple solution my flamenco guitar maestro Paco de Malaga suggested. Buy a plastic soap dish with a top and an every-day kitchen sponge. Punch holes in the top of the soap dish and place the thoroughly soaked sponge inside. Put the top back on, and place the soap dish with wet sponge in the top of your guitar case under the guitar's headstock. Of course, you must keep the guitar case horizontal in order to maintain the soap dish in place.

I have been using this method for years with good results. Although the humidifying soap dish and sponge are in the headstock area of the case, the humidity produced is dispersed throughout the case.

Bill

And the end of the fight is a tombstone white,
With the name of the late deceased,
And the epitaph drear, "A fool lies here,
Who tried to hustle the East."

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 18 2020 13:39:41

Ricardo

Wet/damp paper towel scrunched in a ball, zipper sealed case is best. When it’s dry, get it wet again. Don’t overhumidify a guitar it’s just as bad.

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 18 2020 21:00:43

Richard Jernigan

I use this:

It contains a chemical that dissolves in distilled water, that is supposed to keep the humidity in the case around 40%.

There's one for each guitar. The guitar closet is in a small room next to the practice room. In a cabinet in there are a gallon jug of distilled water and the hypodermic syringe (minus needle) used to fill the humidifiers.

Been using them for maybe 15 years, see no reason to change.

Two guitars are in Visesnut cases, two in Karuras, one in a Mark Leaf. Two others are in good quality molded plywood double arch cases. The Mark Leaf is a monstrosity. It's very thick fiberglass, weighs a ton. There's a good reason they are no longer made. But the humidifier in it dries out far more slowly than the ones in the other "sealed" cases.

RNJ

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (2)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 18 2020 21:08:17

rombsix

D'Addario two-way humidifcation system.

Ramzi

http://www.youtube.com/rombsix
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 20 2020 19:59:44

machopicasso

RE: What are members using to humidify? (in reply to Ricardo

quote:

Wet/damp paper towel scrunched in a ball, zipper sealed case is best. When it’s dry, get it wet again.

What's the advantage of using a wet/damp paper towel over an insert with a sponge?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 21 2020 5:55:31

singlechange

For me, I use Humidipak for my most valuable guitar, Oasis and RDM Humitron for the rest.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 4 2020 3:24:13

Ricardo

quote:

ORIGINAL: machopicasso

quote:

Wet/damp paper towel scrunched in a ball, zipper sealed case is best. When it’s dry, get it wet again.

What's the advantage of using a wet/damp paper towel over an insert with a sponge?

Cheap easy and convenient

www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 4 2020 19:00:05

kitarist

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricardo

quote:

quote:

However, the disadvantage being an inability to status-brag about having an expensive high-tech humidifier tool

Konstantin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 4 2020 19:29:45

JasonM

RE: What are members using to humidify? (in reply to kitarist

Yes sir. I use a humidifier. Holds about 2 gallons of water. You can even add various scented oils like “lavender dreams” or “pumpkin spice laté” which helps the guitars relax when they aren’t being played.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 5 2020 2:57:48

kitarist

RE: What are members using to humidify? (in reply to JasonM

Konstantin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 5 2020 4:05:26

machopicasso

quote:

I get that it's cheap. But I dispute its superior -- or even equivalent -- easiness and convenience. For the latter, it's hard to beat the sponge in the plastic cartridge hanging in the sound hole.

I'm guessing your ziplocked wet towel is in or near the sound hole. Do you do anything to humidify the neck?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 5 2020 6:18:54

BarkellWH

quote:

I get that it's cheap. But I dispute its superior -- or even equivalent -- easiness and convenience. For the latter, it's hard to beat the sponge in the plastic cartridge hanging in the sound hole. I'm guessing your ziplocked wet towel is in or near the sound hole. Do you do anything to humidify the neck?

To repeat my post above.

"Buy a plastic soap dish with a top and an every-day kitchen sponge. Punch holes in the top of the soap dish and place the thoroughly soaked sponge inside. Put the top back on, and place the soap dish with wet sponge in the top of your guitar case under the guitar's headstock. Of course, you must keep the guitar case horizontal in order to maintain the soap dish in place.

I have been using this method for years with good results. Although the humidifying soap dish and sponge are in the headstock area of the case, the humidity produced is dispersed throughout the case."

You don't need to place the sponge near the sound hole. Keep the case closed and the humidity is evenly dispersed throughout the case, humidifying the entire guitar.

Bill

And the end of the fight is a tombstone white,
With the name of the late deceased,
And the epitaph drear, "A fool lies here,
Who tried to hustle the East."

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 5 2020 13:33:37

Ricardo

quote:

I'm guessing your ziplocked wet towel is in or near the sound hole. Do you do anything to humidify the neck?

No zip locking as in plastic bag. The guitar needs to be in a contained environment that normal guitar cases don’t provide well. I realized that only a guitar case has a zipper (a rain bag outer case can do this as well) to trap the moisture inside the case with the guitar. If you drop a humidifier into the sound hole, the sound board and maybe back and sides get all the water, and if the case is not trapping moisture then the guitar body will be constantly expanding and contracting, the faster that happens the easier cracks will form the one time you forget refill your humidifier. I normally am concerned about the neck and fingerboard too cuz when that ebony shrinks it is causing lots of problems. To make sure the neck head AND body are all getting water the CASE needs to be closed and containing the water. The water source (sponge or whatever you use) needs to be in the air around the entire guitar and let ALL the wood drink it up. Once the wood has the water the case allows the humidity around the guitar to balance, but if the case is not sealed then the air will try to draw the water back out of the guitar. So you need to constantly monitor the sponge or paper towel or whatever. What I found long ago is that the paper towel dries out rapidly with a normal guitar case, but the cases with zipper/good seal allow that little paper towel to stay damp for over a week.

Again, be careful with OVER humidifying your guitar, something that at my first paranoia about a new guitar that had dried, is also not good.

www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 5 2020 14:42:31

machopicasso

RE: What are members using to humidify? (in reply to BarkellWH

quote:

Of course, you must keep the guitar case horizontal in order to maintain the soap dish in place.

Yes, I saw your earlier post, but the horizontal requirement won't work in my situation. Thanks, though.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 6 2020 6:01:20

machopicasso

Thanks, Ricardo. That's helpful.

I'm in a really dry climate and so don't think I need to worry about over-humidifying, at least with my current method. During winter, my sponge dries out daily.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 6 2020 6:12:21

Ricardo

quote:

During winter, my sponge dries out daily.

Wow. So you are not isolating the guitar from your living environment. Try a rain cover with zipper for your guitar case if it doesn’t have a zipper already.

www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 6 2020 16:45:57

kitarist

quote:

During winter, my sponge dries out daily

Damn. You basically need a walk-in humidor to practice in (and store your guitar) :

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (1)

Konstantin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 6 2020 18:00:32

Schieper

RE: What are members using to humidify? (in reply to kitarist

Ha ha.. well if there ever was a good reason to buy a walk in humidor, it is now :-)

I will just place it next to my temperature controlled wine storage and oposite my sound damped music listening room...

Now I only need a place to keep my beer cool and my pizza hot and I basically never would have to leave the house again...
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 6 2020 20:00:39

machopicasso

quote:

Wow. So you are not isolating the guitar from your living environment.

Well, you're the first person I've ever heard recommend that! Even the local luthier with whom I spoke last January didn't mention a zipper. But maybe I'll give that a try.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 7 2020 5:36:29

Ricardo

quote:

quote:

Wow. So you are not isolating the guitar from your living environment.

Well, you're the first person I've ever heard recommend that! Even the local luthier with whom I spoke last January didn't mention a zipper. But maybe I'll give that a try.

An extreme thing, and cheap, that works well is simply a large trash bag. Put the whole guitar case in that with the humidifier inside the case and for sure it won’t dry out in a day.

www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 7 2020 13:47:43

mark51

Here in Florida the problem is too much humidity. I could run a de-humidifier but they are noisy, need to be emptied all the time and it would run constantly. Some indoor climate experts say just make sure the air conditioning is running.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 8 2020 19:48:09
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post