Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: REQ: Ottmar Liebert Tab   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Playing >>Tabs >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

PacoPaella

RE: REQ: Ottmar Liebert Tab (in reply to andymcc

Kate,

with all due respect i dont agree with your opinion that Rumba is outside of what can be called Flamenco. Its useless to treat the music from an overly dogmatic viewpoint, its not a static art but one that is permantently developing and evolving. I am aware of several publications that argue along these lines but most of them are totally outdated. If rumba is no flamenco then i'd say neither are Fandangos de Huelva, Sevillanas, Guajiras colombianas. And, actually, solo guitar cannot be flamenco by definition because flamenco is , in first place, cante.

Where does taht lead us? Its certainly not constructive, its sort of an elitist approach taht would dry out the art of flamenco.

No offense intended, just my opinion.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 4 2006 12:59:48

XXX

RE: REQ: Ottmar Liebert Tab (in reply to PacoPaella

You know what dogmatic is?

Saying Rumba is flamenco or its not, without giving any explanation. "Music has changed" is a fact. Your task would be to show, how the change of music legitimates rumba to be called flamenco (What has Fandango to do with Rumba?!).

You guys always make the same mistake here: Start debatting what is and whats not without having agreed on one definition of flamenco.
If there is no possible definition then stop debatting! Both, Puros and all others!

Фламенко
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 4 2006 14:29:44

Kate

quote:

ORIGINAL: PacoPaella

Kate,

with all due respect i dont agree with your opinion that Rumba is outside of what can be called Flamenco.

No offense taken. I was quoting Robin Totton and also the Andalucian guide to flamenco printed by the junta which states that rumba, columbianas and guijieras are Ida y Vuelta and are classified originally as Latin American folklore. Neither publication could be called outdated. As far as Sevillanos is concerned I know of no flamenco that calls it flamenco, it is usually categorised as Spanish folklore.

It was not my intention to debate any of this, but to answer Deniz's query about what is considered flamenco. I merely reiterated what I had gathered from spending my time working with, talking and listening to as well as recording highly experienced flamenco artists. I certainly did not jump to these conclusions on my own and I would not call them elitist ideas as everyone here considers it general knowledge.

Anyway on rereading this thread I see I was on a hiding to nothing as Deniz's definition of a purist is "Somebody who says for example Gipsy Kings and O. Liebert is not flamenco at all."

Kate

Emilio Maya Temple
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000CA6OBC
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/emiliomaya
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 4 2006 17:16:17

Kate

RE: REQ: Ottmar Liebert Tab (in reply to XXX

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deniz

You know what dogmatic is?

Saying Rumba is flamenco or its not, without giving any explanation.

I did give an explanation, talking about its origins in Cuba and that it was adapted to tangos, that it is very popular in Spain and generally considered flamenco pop or flamenco lite. I know a singer who walked out of her contract as the record company only wanted her to do popular rumbas. Most guitarist insist on putting a rumba on their records to get airplay not afforded to solo compostions. I've spent nights at Gypsy weddings dancing exclusively to Rumbas.

I did not start this debate but posted because I was fed up of reading vaguely insulting comments about 'puros' and then was drawn in by questions which I generally though I could shed light on. Next time Ron I take your advice. Why bother, it seems people have made up their minds that even talking about puro or even what is flamenco is considered elitist, snobbish and not constructive. Oh dear, how sad.

Deniz you asked me if rumba is considered flamenco yet ignoring my reply you go on to tell me what the answer was you expected "Your task would be to show, how the change of music legitimates rumba to be called flamenco". So see the above post where I say it came from Cuba and was adapted to the tango by flamencos. As Robin says in his book, that is what gives it the flamenco flavour.

And yes I do know what dogmatic is, opinionated and not based on actual knowledge. However, I emphasised that this was not my opinion but gathered from a lot of time spent with working flamencos.

You 'challenged' me to a definiton of flamenco and while you wont accept the answer (that in my experience it is defined by the various palos and compás) you dont offer up an alternative. If you want to disagree with that statement go ahead but I have little more to add and better things to do than post here and be insulted.

Like head down to my local Peña and thank the God of flamenco I live here where it is an everyday part of my life, puro, fusion, pop, art, lifestyle I enjoy every aspect of it even talking about it when I talk with someone knowledgable and can expand my own understanding and enjoyment. There is nothing better than being in the Peña when two flamencos get into a heated debate over a copa. It is a shame we cannot replicate that here but I suppose that forums do have their limits.

Kate

Emilio Maya Temple
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 4 2006 18:17:10

XXX

This is not a challenge or whatsoever. My last post was partly referring to PacoPellas post, which you could have recognized from how I went on after the first sentence: ""Music has changed" is a fact..."

I would have quoted you if I had something to say on your post. But before I wanted to answer your post I wanted to answer on PacoPaellas post, regarding that "dogmatic"-point.
Besides by saying: "(It is dogmatic) Saying Rumba is flamenco or its not, without giving any explanation." was more a general statement on the wrong way of discussion that in this thread happened (which is a general problem in discussions everywhere)

This statement was meant to point on a general problem. To precise it I picked out PacoPaellas post as an example, to show why he doesnt explain anything and why it does not help at all here.

And after all, in all respect, I already said something on your definition on flamenco; its on the 1.st page:

quote:

Ok you said Palos and compas as a definition on flamenco.
At that time I was just writing a post so couldnt answer on it.

Dont get so defensive Kate this is just an O. Liebert thread lol!

Фламенко
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 4 2006 18:47:38

PacoPaella

Kate,

i realize that there are aficionados who consider those palos as folklore (usually including Fandangos, Deniz - Fandango de Huelva is not flamenco, if sevillanas arent). How come every artist has one or more non-flamenco pieces on their CD's tho? Can hardly call it commercial, one single rumba wouldnt ever convince any non-flamenco interested person to buy an album. I think the simple truth is that as the art evolves, palos make it into the commonly accepted flamenco catalogue. I am sure that twenty years from now we will see a lot of totally new palos being used absolutely naturally.

So, while you bring the book authors into the argument, i would just point towards your usual CD store. What about Emilio Maya? Does he stop playing flamenco when he does a Rumba?

Deniz, the above mentioned point is why i didnt explain in-depth why i consider Rumba to be part of flamenco. There are Rumbas on almost all Flamenco CD's i own, as well as Sevillanas and Fandangos, Colombianas and Guajiras, neither of which would be considered Flamenco 50 years ago, but they just made their way into the music. And as i said before, i have heard more than one aficionado say that solo guitar has nothing to do with flamenco at all. I dont recall any event i saw in spain that had one single solo guitar piece. Still, i would count solo guitar as flamenco. Dunno whats so unclear about that; its just a viewpoint, not reasoning. Feel free to disagree.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 4 2006 18:57:30

Kate

quote:

How come every artist has one or more non-flamenco pieces on their CD's tho? Can hardly call it commercial, one single rumba wouldnt ever convince any non-flamenco interested person to buy an album.

In Spain rumba is really popular and very commercial. Flamenco artists dont put a rumba on their record to interest people who dont like flamenco they put it on to get radio play and because record companies often insist on rumba tracks on flamenco albums.

Sorry if i am repeating myself here. I'm sure I wrote that before.
Kate

Emilio Maya Temple
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 5 2006 9:24:35

Kate

quote:

So, while you bring the book authors into the argument, i would just point towards your usual CD store. What about Emilio Maya? Does he stop playing flamenco when he does a Rumba?

Not sure what you mean by this. What's your point about book authors and CD stores. I quoted Robin Totton as he said something along the lines that a rumba is flamenco because it is played by flamencos. He uses another example, the song happy birthday is not flamenco but when it is sung por bulerías it is. Remedios Amaya once said to me you can sing anything to flamenco and it becomes flamenco, then made me prove it by getting me singing " Its not unusual" by Tom Jones while she clapped a Bulería.

And yes Emilio Maya has a rumba on his record, and its the one they play on the radio and when he has appeared on television.

I'm not sure we are disagreeing here. Rumba has its roots in latin American folklore, and when it was brought to Spain it was adapted to the tango palo and so became flamenco. As Todd said in another thread these Ida and Vueltas are light and happy. I guess thats why they are so popular, particularly for parties, and why they get radio play and are liked by people who wouldn't listen to other styles of flamenco.

Kate

Emilio Maya Temple
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 5 2006 9:37:07

Kate

RE: REQ: Ottmar Liebert Tab (in reply to XXX

quote:

Dont get so defensive Kate this is just an O. Liebert thread lol!

je je yup in the cold light of a Sunday morning hangover I see I was getting more than a bit confused with this thread, who is saying what to whom etc, and frustrated. Flamenco may be hard to play but I dont think it is hard to recognise. I have a friend who says that if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck then its probably a duck, only they are applying it to flamenco. I guess you have to know what a duck is though

Kate

Emilio Maya Temple
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 5 2006 9:44:46

XXX

RE: REQ: Ottmar Liebert Tab (in reply to Kate

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kate
Remedios Amaya once said to me you can sing anything to flamenco and it becomes flamenco, then made me prove it by getting me singing " Its not unusual" by Tom Jones while she clapped a Bulería.

Id like to hear that LOL!

Paco, your definition would be then, everything that flamenco artist do is flamenco, independent from the music, the chords, rythm???

Фламенко
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 5 2006 15:56:10

andymcc

WOW I didn't think one request could cause so much fuss
I do agree that Ottmar isn't flamenco(although I do like some of his stuff) the request was for a family member who loves Barcelona nights and wanted me to play it. Thanks to everyone who posted links I'm checking them out now, and again I can only apologise for causing so much upset

Andy
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 7 2006 15:14:49

Kate

Dont worry Andy we went a bit off topic. No slight against Ottmar just that old chestnut of what is classed as flamenco or not and why not.

Kate

Emilio Maya Temple
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 7 2006 15:54:19

gshaviv

quote:

WOW I didn't think one request could cause so much fuss

Don't think too much of it. Lashing at Ottmar is a hobbie on this forum. Most likely cause most people here play 10 times as good but earn 10 times less then Ottmar...

Such is life.

Guy
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 7 2006 20:47:17

Jon Boyes

RE: REQ: Ottmar Liebert Tab (in reply to gshaviv

quote:

ORIGINAL: gshaviv
Most likely cause most people here play 10 times as good but earn 10 times less then Ottmar...

LOL

Spanish Guitarist in Devon, Cornwall and Somerset
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 8 2006 10:07:52

JBASHORUN

RE: REQ: Ottmar Liebert Tab (in reply to gshaviv

quote:

Don't think too much of it. Lashing at Ottmar is a hobbie on this forum.

Not sure why, Ottmar is arguably THE BEST Flamenco guitarist ever. Well, not quite... I think Jesse Cook and Strunz & Farah are better!!!

Just kidding folks... Nuevo-Flamenco? Tis the devil's music!!!

Jb
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 8 2006 17:42:39

Doitsujin

Who is Jesse Cook and Strunz & Farah?? Are they world famous flamenco-stars, too? Better than Ottmar? You are kidding us! I cant imagine that anybody could make better compositions!! Ottmar OLÉ!! hehe
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 8 2006 17:50:17

XXX

Barcelona nights is cool!

If there is someone who doesnt like it he or she is simply not human

Фламенко
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 8 2006 18:05:03

Jon Boyes

RE: REQ: Ottmar Liebert Tab (in reply to JBASHORUN

quote:

ORIGINAL: JBASHORUN
Not sure why, Ottmar is arguably THE BEST Flamenco guitarist ever. Well, not quite... I think Jesse Cook and Strunz & Farah are better!!!

Just kidding folks... Nuevo-Flamenco? Tis the devil's music!!!

Strunz and Farah are in a rather different league to Ottmar!

BTW, S&F have never referred to their music as flamenco or nuevo anything. They both have enormous respect for flamenco, and have at times gone to great lengths to explain that what they play isn't flamenco. Its really jazz/world fusion - thats what they say on their CDs and IMO they are very good at it.

I think its a shame they get lumped in with the likes of Ottmar. It seems that anyone these days who plays Spanishy/Latin guitar stuff that isn't flamenco gets added to the list of players its cool to trash, like they are all part of some imaginary nouveau conspiracy or something. To my mind its only Ottmar that has a case to answer to, due to the title of his first album.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 9 2006 12:08:10

JBASHORUN

RE: REQ: Ottmar Liebert Tab (in reply to Jon Boyes

Yeah, I know, Jon. I really shouldn't make sweeping statements like that, and Strunz & Farah are pretty good at what they do. I should know, as I have several of their albums, and their DVD too. Anyone who's read a few of my posts will know that I'm not anti-neuvo-flamenco or even anti-latinesque music. As long as it doesn't pretend to be Flamenco Puro, I actually quite enjoy that sort of thing. There is a time and place for it.

Jb
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 9 2006 13:21:24

Jon Boyes

RE: REQ: Ottmar Liebert Tab (in reply to JBASHORUN

quote:

ORIGINAL: JBASHORUN
I should know, as I have several of their albums, and their DVD too.

I had that DVD for my birthday, good stuff though I prefer the more Latin material from Americas. Checkout Strunz's picking technique - bizarre or what? He does everything 'wrong' yet still manages to pick at a gazillion notes a second.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 9 2006 14:44:20

JBASHORUN

RE: REQ: Ottmar Liebert Tab (in reply to Jon Boyes

Yeah, I enjoyed the DVD too. Although if I remember rightly there's one part in the "interviews" section where they say that PDL was a big influence on them. Both Strunz and Farah have excellent picking technique, at least in as much as it seems to be extremely effective... they pull off Di Meola speed licks with ease. Ricardo recommended "Americas" to me, and I thought was great. I particularly liked "Gypsy Earings" on that one... simple, yet catchy. If you like the Americas vibe, you should check out their "Live" CD... its got a couple of Americas songs, including a 12 minute version of the Americas title track, and they really do show off on that one!

Come to think of it its been a while since I played through the DVD what with all this Flamenco puro. I think I'll dig it out tonight...

Jb
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 9 2006 15:52:12

JBASHORUN

Oh yeah, and if you like Strunz & farah, you might appreciate Rodrigo Y Gabriela... similar sort of stuff, but slightly more modern.

Jb
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 9 2006 20:12:56

Francisco

I'm a noob, so please don't be offended, but I find most of this thread funny. I became interested in flamenco because of Ottmar, and I still like him.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 10 2006 1:37:25

Miguel de Maria

You know, this Puro thing never really changes, does it? To me, it's just a sort of generation gap. One camp wants to hold on to tradition, wants to to draw lines and the other camp sees flamenco as an evolving thing and is the one who is DOING things. It's kind of like the instant text thing, where you have all these young kids who do most of their communicating by thumb on their cell phones. They write ungodly constructions like I LUV ME SM ME! and expect to be taken seriously by people who know how to, or at least try, to write in coherent sentences. By the thing is that in 20 years this probably WILL be how people communicate. It will probably infiltrate the spoken word and we will start compacting our speech. "Tht ws fny LOL!" Disgusting, isn't it!

And we will all agree that there is "proper English"--the way we were taught, and there's this barbaric offshoot--the way they talk. And it won't be over until we're dead and everyone is talking like that. To me this flamenco puro thing is the same thing. We have people who grew up on a certain taste, and to them that IS flamenco, although nothing stays the same. Any evolution is anathema to them, no matter how inspired or unavoidable. Remember that they hated Paco and Camaron at one time, many still do I'm sure.

It's just a generation gap--although age is only one part of what decides which side of the puro fence you sit.

Again, I dislike the word because it is elitist, exclusionary, and ultimately insulting. But then, so is calling how we speak "proper English" to the future keepers of the flame. I definitely can defer to Kate about how people in Granada feel about flamenco. But the reality is there is nothing truly pure about an art form which is a synthesis of many different cultures, many different arts, many different peoples. Like all art, it has evolved over time and has not stopped. But we want to take a snapshot of a certain time period and we want to call THAT pure. In 50 years, what is now called pure will be forgotten and what is now "impure" will be hotly defended as orthodoxy and purity.

Connect with me on Facebook, all the cool kids are doing it.
https://www.facebook.com/migueldemariaZ

Arizona Wedding Music Guitar
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 10 2006 14:21:34

seanm

I totally agree Miguel. If something like Rumba can act as a "trojan horse" to lure otherwise niave listeners to pure flamenco then by all means use that as a tool to keep it alive and thriving. I working at a classical / jazz / world beat, etc mega music store for a long time and can tell you that 'pure' 'raw' representations of certain forms of music just don't have the audience. Why shoot yourself in the foot. It's like an election .. you do whatever it takes to get control of an audience (for a CD that means a commercial track, a sexy cover, some crazy back story ... whatever). After that, once you have them, you can do what you like. It's your task as an artist to educate your target audience to bring them up to your own level of musical experience, instead of shocking their sences and only hanging on the the few that get it right away. For instance, if you want to intoduce a freind to jazz you always start with standards played by great players ... the move to the 'outside' coltrane and even more moderns players after that. Or introduce someone to spicy food ... you don't start with a habenero! We have to remember that we have a responsibily as flamenco players that goes well beyond simply playing good guitar.

Sean
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 10 2006 15:09:39

JBASHORUN

RE: REQ: Ottmar Liebert Tab (in reply to seanm

quote:

I totally agree Miguel. If something like Rumba can act as a "trojan horse" to lure otherwise niave listeners to pure flamenco then by all means use that as a tool to keep it alive and thriving.

Yes, I agree with that too, although I'm sure a few members regularly frown at my assertions that Nuevo Flamenco is of some value and use. It was the Nuevo Flamenco type of music that led me to Flamenco Puro in the first place, and I would guess that deviations or offshoots of Flamenco (including Flamenco-jazz and Flamenco-rock/metal) serve to promote the genre as a whole, and attract new listeners who might not usually venture down such paths. Although I'm not quite sure which will benefit most from the publicity, Nuevo or Puro. It would be a shame for one to eventually obscure or replace the other, as I feel they both serve their functions well.

Jb
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 10 2006 18:51:49

[Deleted] (in reply to andymcc

[Deleted by Admins]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 23 2006 11:06:11

Florian

Andymcc i have

Liebert, Ottmar - Heart Still Beating

Liebert, Ottmar - Santa Fe

send me a email to florianremus1@hotmail ,il send em to you if u want they in guitar pro tab.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 23 2006 11:19:35
Page:   <<   <   1 [2]
All Forums >>Playing >>Tabs >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post