Foro Flamenco
Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.
This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira and Philip John Lee who went ahead of us too soon.
We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Persistent buzz/vibrations   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Stu

Persistent buzz/vibrations 

So I've started a new thread here although it's kind of related to my fret levelling post. But I wanted to keep it separate cos I think this is a different issue.

I'm having some strange resonating/vibration along the whole of my A and D strings. If I fret the string I get the same odd after buzz/vibration down from the 1st fret all the way. It seems to be originating/localised at the saddle. I always cut off the tiny excess of each string as that can vibrate and make a racket. So it's not that this time.

If jI jostle the string along the saddle slightly the buzz seems to go away for a couple of plucks. But then once it has reseated itself the buzzing returns.
Could it be an issue with the tiny grooves the strings sit in on the bone?

Any thoughts?
Thanks for reading

Could try and make a little video
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 31 2020 20:35:46

Flamingrae

RE: Persistent buzz/vibrations (in reply to Stu

quote:

Any thoughts?

Call the buzz detectives!! - No seriously, you will have to do this by eliminating one possible source after another. If external, you should be able to rectify - check height of strings at the frets etc. If internal - that will give you another challenge. Check if you can feel any obvious looseness. Try listening to a possible source. You will track it down. Might be an idea to take the top strings off and leave maybe just the A which should allow you to play and feel on the inside too. Feeling on the inside whilst pressing carefully and playing the string might help you to track further. Hopefully it will be external. If internal, and you track it down - you will have to work out the best solution to firm up the part. One of those mirrors with a light and telescopic handle can be helpful but track down first. Good luck.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 1 2020 11:45:57

Tom Blackshear

Stu,

You may have what I call an anomaly which is motivated by certain top tuning. This comes about with the top's thickness and vibrating parts. I've seen this happen on some factory made guitars in the past.

This can happen with the way the top is graduated in its thickness, or possibly constructed with "out of balance" fan bracing that don't synergistically blend with other fan braces, harmonically.

Tom Blackshear Guitar maker
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 1 2020 16:10:06

mango

hmm... most mysterious vibrations I had were due to bad string slots at the nut... but more with open strings... perhaps some loose parts of the tuning machines?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 2 2020 13:31:50

JasonM

I think I’m having a similar issue myself right now. Seems to be worse when I use a capo. I get buzzing on the A and D strings that sounds like it’s coming from the saddle. It’s more like a fuzziness than a rattle

I was told that it could be that the string is vibrating on the hump of the saddle. In other words, the leading edge of the saddle is not a sharp enough breakaway. Not so sure about this. I have a feeling it might be because I didn’t add any relief into my fretboard.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 2 2020 15:15:52

Stu

RE: Persistent buzz/vibrations (in reply to JasonM

Ha Jason. Your reply was like reading what I think about my issue.

Thanks rae and Tom and mango. I've been away camping this weekend and on returning the buzz seems to have gone!!! Haha. I don't know if thats good. Or a helpful indicator of what it could?

I'm gonna change the strings as the two in question look particular battered. I wonder if a damaged string (Nick or scratch on the metal) could cause some such buzzing.

I'll keep my ears on it and try and record a video/audio if the buzzing returns

Thanks guys
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 3 2020 14:12:26

JasonM

Ha! Well that’s good it went away. Hopefully it stays that way, humidity is always a factor. Strange how it’s only on those strings and not the low E! I need to make a new saddle to rule that out but higher tension strings also seems to help.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 3 2020 15:58:14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post