Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

New Member - Illinois   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Intros >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

CEB

New Member - Illinois 

Hello

I’m a longtime guitarist. I studied Classical guitar from 1982-1987. Fell in love with Flamenco guitar after buying my first Carlos Montoya albums from the cutout bin at the University Union in 1982. Did one Flamenco master class in 85 I think which was just sitting in a semi circle and listening to the guest player.

I’ve never had any real Flamenco guidance and am wanting to learn. Due to COVID I’m not playing many gigs. I found the forum in a search and am searching for advice on books and technique. My picado sucks .... well everything is terrible.

Thanks.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 16 2020 18:26:42

Escribano

RE: New Member - Illinois (in reply to CEB

Welcome. It is really not at all easy. I would venture that it is harder than classical guitar because you have no say over the compás (the rhythm). If it is there, you are on your way. If not, it is not flamenco.

After 3 years of learning in Spain and then working back in the UK and now, in Italy, I do not have the many, many hours required, so I gave up playing but it still speaks to me as a listener.

Foro Flamenco founder and Admin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 16 2020 20:01:52

Schieper

Hi and welcome CEB.

Not having a professional background like you I found the following material verry uesefull:

Juan Martin's El Arte Flamenco De La Guitarra. He made more study material but some stuff is basic and this book has in my vieuw a decent level. best 50,- i spend on books in a while.

The " Duende Flamenco anthologie methodique de la guitare flamenca" a series of sheet music with very nice falseta's and solo's.

Finally, take on online lesson in your area or with Ricarcdo online. He is part of the furniture in this bar and he helped me along greatly.

Cheers and good luck.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 16 2020 21:39:58

Piwin

Welcome!

"Anything you do can be fixed. What you cannot fix is the perfection of a blank page. What you cannot fix is that pristine, unsullied whiteness of a screen or a page with nothing on it—because there’s nothing there to fix."
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 17 2020 21:03:53

BarkellWH

Welcome to the Foro.

Bill

And the end of the fight is a tombstone white,
With the name of the late deceased,
And the epitaph drear, "A fool lies here,
Who tried to hustle the East."

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 17 2020 21:36:57

ernandez R

CEB,
Welcolm to the Foro.

I'm fairly new here myself and new to Flamenco. I came here in a roundabout way by building guitars and there is an insta link on the bottom of this post. My dream is to build hoping to learn enough to make more someone will want to play.

Kinda funny, I always wanted to,play Flamenco since I was an early teen but I didn't know how to ask. I studied classical for a couple years then had a family. So here I am almost fifty five, my hands mostly ruined by good hard work, scratching strings like no one is listening and I didn't gave a damn if they were. I'm in it for the joy of making my flamenco, or rather as its joked about here on the Foro, my Flamigo ;)

Plenty of info if you dig around here and there.

A good verity of members from all over the world and plenty of good advise and many opinions. I joke that we are a well functioning disfunctional family.

I was recently whacked by a moose so I've spent the last three monthes on my back playing a good four hours a day, can't say I'm any better then when I started but during the first two monthes of pain pills I was a flamingo God! Now that I'm back on Tynolnal and nerv blockers am just another American with hit and miss compass and my rasgueo sounds like a nine cylender airplane moter hitting on only seven, or six...

HR

I prefer my flamenco guitar spicy,
doesn't have to be fast,
should have some meat on the bones,
can be raw or well done,
as long as it doesn't sound like it's turning green on an elevator floor.

www.instagram.com/threeriversguitars
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 18 2020 2:53:32
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Intros >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote