Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: The Foro Logo   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Stu

RE: The Foro Logo (in reply to Ricardo

quote:

Lots of folks offer up opinions about Flamenco topics, though they have limited experience. Sometimes people that don’t even yet own a flamenco guitar, if you can imagine!!!!

Ouch!
hahaha.

Devilhand. You're firmly in the Hazard zone brother!

quote:

The logo is very old and comes from the ‘Captain Bob‘ era of the foro when it was in transition from the Temple.edu hosting in the late 1990’s

late 1990's?? that doesn't seem right. did this place even exist in the 1990s?
Did Captain Bob have a second era then? cos I was only a member from 2007 and I remember a Captain Bob. But thats when the foro switched from here to a new place...then back here due to chaos and dictatorship. I can't imagine Escribano wouldve kept that logo if it was from Capt Bobs house.

I always thought that was the original logo.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 26 2020 21:50:19

Escribano

RE: The Foro Logo (in reply to Stu

It is the original logo from some clipart in 2004, when I set it up.

Foro Flamenco founder and Admin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 27 2020 8:14:46

devilhand

RE: The Foro Logo (in reply to estebanana

quote:

ORIGINAL: estebanana

I’m pulling up my trousers because the sh*t runs deep here.

The logo is very old and comes from the ‘Captain Bob‘ era of the foro when it was in transition from the Temple.edu hosting in the late 1990’s

Only a few people remember those days. People who were on that list have died, gone crazy and also drank the koolaids of the foro gurus of the past.

Ron knew about the foibles of Cpt. Bob. There was another fellow who died in 2004 or 5 who I liked a lot and corresponded with, but having trouble with his name. He was interesting because we talked about art. He called Rembrandt ‘Old Rum Blossom’

The logo, meh, you shoulda been here for the epic fights and duels of the 90’s. There was some blood spill, but overall the talk was fresh.

Logo off

Signed your pal and graduate of Putin’s fine palace of Putotonic Putocrats

Esteban de la Chingada

Except for the origin of the logo I believe everything you wrote there.

Say No to Fuera de Compás!!!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 27 2020 9:36:45

Stu

RE: The Foro Logo (in reply to devilhand

So did I just fall for your send up of history there Stephen?? Oops. It was that convinCing 😂
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 27 2020 14:07:30

mark indigo

quote:

I've been here since 1993, just waiting for the bar to open....

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 27 2020 14:39:26

RobF

RE: The Foro Logo (in reply to mark indigo

The bar is almost certain to be opened whenever the guitarist starts to play a solo.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 27 2020 15:31:34

mark indigo

RE: The Foro Logo (in reply to RobF

quote:

The bar is almost certain to be opened whenever the guitarist starts to play a solo.

20 years playing for dance, 10 years waiting for a singer to arrive, I haven't got to play solo yet.... no wonder the bar hasn't opened.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 27 2020 15:36:21

estebanana

The bar is set so low around here you’d have to raise it several feet just to find the front door.

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 29 2020 6:04:42

estebanana

I stand corrected, Captain Bob came later. The first dictator was Jerry. He ran it with an iron ham fisted aplomb second only to Chairman Mao.

He grabbed the reins of power around 1999 or so. I didn’t begin until 1997. By that time the Temple list was four years old. Probably the bartender was on strike.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 29 2020 6:09:04

Piwin

The foro was officially created on 9 February 2016, the day I, Piwin-Jeong-Un, chose to grace these barren reaches of the internet with my presence. Those who rewrite history to suggest there was anything here before I arrived will be considered traitors and promptly punished.

Also.

I have nukes.

Big nukes.

"Anything you do can be fixed. What you cannot fix is the perfection of a blank page. What you cannot fix is that pristine, unsullied whiteness of a screen or a page with nothing on it—because there’s nothing there to fix."
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 29 2020 7:59:34

mark indigo

RE: The Foro Logo (in reply to JasonM

quote:

Kim ‘rocket man’ Un

AKA "King Kong Jim"

or as the locals say round here, or could do, although I haven't actually heard anyone say it except me, but other locals might if they did, if you know what I mean: "that Kim-Jong-Un, he's a wrong-un!"

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 29 2020 9:19:29

RobF

RE: The Foro Logo (in reply to Piwin

quote:

I have nukes.

Big nukes.

Unless you got 53mm nuts, you ain’t got nothin.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 29 2020 13:29:11

BarkellWH

quote:

Unless you got 53mm nuts, you ain’t got nothin.

Just wait until Kim's little sister, Kim Yo Jong, gets ahold of your 53mm nuts and squeezes until you cry out "enuff!"

Bill

And the end of the fight is a tombstone white,
With the name of the late deceased,
And the epitaph drear, "A fool lies here,
Who tried to hustle the East."

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 29 2020 14:47:16

estebanana

RE: The Foro Logo (in reply to BarkellWH

She’s interesting, reminds me of Madam Mao.
Gang of Two, your table is ready.... if her fat older brother has the heart attack he’s speeding towards, she’s looking to be his successor. And she’s still a mystery, but since he has not murdered her it’s likely she’s as crazy as he is.

Did you know it’s very likely they are the product of an extramarital affair by their father?

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 29 2020 20:12:09

BarkellWH

quote:

She’s interesting

Can you imagine being in your hotel room in Pyongyang, and the front desk calls to tell you a limousine is waiting to take you to Kim Yo Jong's residence, as she wishes to share a bottle of wine with you? You go because you have no choice. Yet the mating rituals of the black widow and praying mantis immediately come to mind. Lends a whole new meaning to "Les Liaisons dangereuses."

Bill

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 29 2020 23:30:53

estebanana

I’m not planning on going to Pyongyang, and your scenario is unnerving. But who knows, perhaps in politics she’s a ruthless sadist and in her private sexual life a simpering passive eager to be spanked mercilessly by a foreign diplomat.

She’s unknown, works as head of propaganda ministry. All that. What’s horrific about this family and regime is how much performance of violence proves loyalty to the gang. The party is a gang, and her brother the great leader.

The woman who groomed her for service is her aunt. Her aunt’s husband was executed by her brother in 2017(?) Imagine that. And he murdered his half brother. She’s either totally with it, or has a part of herself that disagrees, but won’t step out of line.

There’s only one recording of her voice. She says three words. We have no idea what she thinks.

She appears to be the one that handled the optics of the trump/Un meetings. If so she walked trump on a leash like an obedient bitch. That aside from being humiliating for normal Americans had a funny side. The people who thought there was chance NK would even talk about disarmament were shown to be utter fools. Trump went anyway as was played so badly he can’t comprehend what patsy he is. The schadenfreude was running high. Of course all the weaseling from republicans tried to cover the fact that he looked like a rank amateur was fun too. Shameless, but fun.

In the next three months they’re gonna wish they impeached him. They are reverse coursing on COVID policy and walking back the brave talk of opening. And the joke is on them. If it were not a life and death matter I’d laugh openly. I hate those bastards- and it was lovely too that Bernie and Warren got their white clueless asses handed to them. That was spectacular.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 1 2020 4:58:12

Piwin

quote:

Unless you got 53mm nuts

Circumference? Diameter?

"Anything you do can be fixed. What you cannot fix is the perfection of a blank page. What you cannot fix is that pristine, unsullied whiteness of a screen or a page with nothing on it—because there’s nothing there to fix."
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 1 2020 6:37:19

BarkellWH

quote:

She appears to be the one that handled the optics of the trump/Un meetings. If so she walked trump on a leash like an obedient bitch. That aside from being humiliating for normal Americans had a funny side. The people who thought there was chance NK would even talk about disarmament were shown to be utter fools. Trump went anyway as was played so badly he can’t comprehend what patsy he is.

Kim Jong Un played Trump like a fiddle. In the first place, we should never have given Kim a presidential summit, in Singapore or anywhere else. There was no groundwork done to ensure some accomplishment was achieved, and sure enough nothing was achieved. We gave Kim a huge win just by having the summit with Trump. North Korea had done nothing to deserve a meeting with the US president.

Moreover, we doubly gave the store away by agreeing to suspend joint military exercises with the South Koreans. Exercises are essential to maintaining the edge required in military readiness. They are even more important when they involve two military forces like the US and South Korea. Each has its own doctrine, yet if they are going to mesh well in a combat situation they must practice and exercise frequently to maintain the interoperability required to prevail.

But Trump thinks photo ops "trump" (pun intended) actual, substantive achievements. Trump dances to the same tune played by Putin and Xi Jinping as well. The fool thinks his "personal relationships" conquer all and doesn't realize how he has hollowed out the United States's position vis-a-vis NATO, the European Union, East Asia (which we have pretty well ceded to China), and adversaries like Russia, China, and North Korea. None take us seriously the way they once did.

Bill

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 1 2020 13:36:31

kitarist

quote:

ORIGINAL: Piwin

quote:

Unless you got 53mm nuts

Circumference? Diameter?

Radius

Konstantin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 1 2020 19:52:21

RobF

quote:

Circumference? Diameter?

I’m not sure it matters so much, as long as no long term effects are suffered after playing with smaller ones.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 1 2020 21:30:37

estebanana

quote:

Kim Jong Un played Trump like a fiddle. In the first place, we should never have given Kim a presidential summit, in Singapore or anywhere else. There was no groundwork done to ensure some accomplishment was achieved, and sure enough nothing was achieved. We gave Kim a huge win just by having the summit with Trump. North Korea had done nothing to deserve a meeting with the US president.

Moreover, we doubly gave the store away by agreeing to suspend joint military exercises with the South Koreans. Exercises are essential to maintaining the edge required in military readiness. They are even more important when they involve two military forces like the US and South Korea. Each has its own doctrine, yet if they are going to mesh well in a combat situation they must practice and exercise frequently to maintain the interoperability required to prevail.

But Trump thinks photo ops "trump" (pun intended) actual, substantive achievements. Trump dances to the same tune played by Putin and Xi Jinping as well. The fool thinks his "personal relationships" conquer all and doesn't realize how he has hollowed out the United States's position vis-a-vis NATO, the European Union, East Asia (which we have pretty well ceded to China), and adversaries like Russia, China, and North Korea. None take us seriously the way they once did.

Bill

The joint military cooperation is important. I think one of the breakdowns happening now and over the last two to three years between Japanese and South Korean security compacts is due to lack faith in trump and the US as a facilitator. That three country pact of trust is a big problem for Xi and NK. And it causes problems if accountability with China and NK because it absolves China of being responsible in curbing NK from its Beijing position. The rift between Japan and Korea didn’t have to happen in the industrial sphere, there’s a problem with regional cooperation in high tech manufacturing because security sensitive information is now difficult to share between Japan and Korea because Korea is seen as a security risk by Japan and Japan us seen as a faithfulness partner by Korea- same old stuff, and pile on Korean grievances about colonialism.

All these issues are above trumps attention span and he hasn’t worked to mediate between them. He’s assigned poor management at the embassy level in both countries. I’m happy to that an old hand, Biden, is looking good because his overview of the East Asia politics is exponentially superior to any trump cabinet members short of the Joint Chiefs.

I’m also amused by most Americans naive understanding of why Japan and Korean cooperation are important. I’m not a hawk by any means, but when I’ve explained why strong boundaries with NK and China are vital I’ve been called down for being aggressive and warmongering. I had a discussion about the F-35 joint fighter program- the topic was why have spend billions on this when the US doesn’t have a socialized health program. I had to point out that 12 or 14 countries are participating and buying the fighters, and that all the participant countries except Singapore have socialized health care. Meaning if Mc Connell wasn’t blocking the the development of the ACA we could have both. When you really look at it most countries have a further developed and nuanced version of the ACA, not something that resembles Medicare. Then the argument came to ‘Japan should pay for its own defense and not rely on US support’
That’s a an argument shared by both the far left and the far right and is also trumps position.

I said Japan needs allies to help defense because it has a pacifist constitution. It can’t mount an attack until it’s been attacked (which is a very interesting Military historical study in karmic Retribution) I walked away from the discussion and simply said Trumps “America first” slogan and his nationalist disengagement with the world is equivalent to the attitude that NATO be disbanded and Japan change its constitution to build a bigger military with Legal offensive Options.

I didn’t hear anything else because they had to digest that.

Even through the US has major interior problems with the denial of its history of slave holding, it’s still playing a vital role in regional stability as we know it. Our internal problems are now coming to the fore. Also funny to me it how naive leftists credit ol white Bernie for pushing this. He didn’t push White people to learn anything, he advocated a an America first politic not unlike trumps in many respects. I think if anyone gets credit for what’s happening it’s Black kids with Steve Jobs technology. Black kids with iPhones are calling in the revolution and publishing it in ways white culture can no longer deny it.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 2 2020 1:22:41

Piwin

RE: The Foro Logo (in reply to kitarist

quote:

Radius

Uuff, now that might be a problem...
Fortunately, if my nukes aren't effective, I can always send my army of disco dancers:

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 2 2020 12:11:59

Ricardo

quote:

Did Captain Bob have a second era then? cos I was only a member from 2007 and I remember a Captain Bob. But thats when the foro switched from here to a new place...then back here due to chaos and dictatorship. I can't imagine Escribano wouldve kept that logo if it was from Capt Bobs house.

Had to refresh my memory about all that. Read Arash’s second post here, horrifying:

http://www.foroflamenco.com/tm.asp?m=90246&mpage=1&p=&tmode=1&smode=1&key=old%2Cschool%2Cflamenco

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 2 2020 18:44:47

rombsix

quote:

Fortunately, if my nukes aren't effective, I can always send my army of disco dancers:

Ramzi

http://www.youtube.com/rombsix
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 2 2020 19:51:24

Stu

RE: The Foro Logo (in reply to Ricardo

quote:

Had to refresh my memory about all that. Read Arash’s second post here, horrifying:

http://www.foroflamenco.com/tm.asp?m=90246&mpage=1&p=&tmode=1&smode=1&key=old%2Cschool%2Cflamenco

Wow. That pasted blurb from captain Bob is pretty mad. He sounds so unpleasant. Like he's really relishing giving us all a bloody nose.

Quite strange reading back on that thread. The happiness of all the members!! 😄
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 2 2020 21:12:59

estebanana

I joined the Old school flamenco forum to see what was going down. I had to be vetted by one of them and swear on a stack of bootlegged Diego del Gastor cassette tapes that I was sincere. It got boring really fast. They weren’t even talking about Chocolate or Terremoto or anything good. It was just old duffers talking about the same cliche stuff, guitar horse trading and who got to moron before who.

Had a sad arrested development feeling, I suppose it provided a place for people to reminisce in peace. Talking about Paco de Lucia was or seemed unpopular and was the historical cut off date for the general focus.
It seemed like a bunch of old stiff white dudes.... but that sounds like this foro today... haha 😆

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 3 2020 5:39:52
Page:   <<   <   1 [2]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote