Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Rosette Borders   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

RobF

Rosette Borders 

Johnguitar’s post showing one of his rosettes motivated me to take the following picture to show why I am so impressed with his work, especially with the border strips (although the whole thing is great). Hopefully it also shows that I’m not a complete bonehead, even though I still haven’t figured out exactly how he did it, lol.

The picture is of one of my rosettes, along with its components, taken to illustrate a fairly typical way to make a border. The method is quite traditional and the result imparts an artisanal flair which makes for a nice rosette. The photo is missing a couple of steps, unfortunately, but I think it gives a sense of how it’s done. It’s not so difficult, actually, and pointers to the process can be found in a number of the books that are in many maker’s libraries, although each maker will tend to do their own refinements.

I really like what John has done with his border, as he’s brought it to another level, IMO. It’s not something you’re going to see every day, especially executed so cleanly, so I recommend you check out his thread here: http://www.foroflamenco.com/tm.asp?m=323351&p=1&tmode=1&smode=1

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (1)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 11 2020 17:35:43

ernandez R

RE: Rosette Borders (in reply to RobF

Nice work Rob!

I have been able to deal with the fiddly parts better then most most of my life but not so much now.

I have done some test pieces here and there for fun and preparing myself and found making the border strips bend around the rosette without breaking problematic.

I did make a strip around a form using shorter pieces of herringbone but it came out janky. Most likely I just need to do more and refine my technic. I do enjoy the challenge and find failure another form of learning.

Typing this and the little devil on my right shoulder says to me, you just need to watch more You tube whilst the zen guru hippie on my left says chill out, take it slow, and don't get your manuca in a wad.

The exacution of JG's rosette is excellent although its not my style. Would love to see a photo spread of each step.

To take this a little farther I feel like I am at this place, after eight guitars, where I would have much to gain working hand in hand with a mentor in their shop for a month or three. There are so many little details one cant learn on a web forum or video. I have reinvented the wheel more then a few times which i don't mind.

To be honest I like my simple rosettes for form and function and may never feel the need to make end grain tiles and herringbone strips. Littlle devil turns his head toward my face, scowls, and murmurs WTF you gonna let these little strips of wood kick your glúteos

HR

I prefer my flamenco guitar spicy,
doesn't have to be fast,
should have some meat on the bones,
can be raw or well done,
as long as it doesn't sound like it's turning green on an elevator floor.

www.instagram.com/threeriversguitars
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 11 2020 20:50:07

RobF

RE: Rosette Borders (in reply to ernandez R

quote:

The exacution of JG's rosette is excellent...

Yeah, John is a top tier maker, so whenever he posts something about his work I tend to pay attention.

I think one never stops learning when it comes to making guitars. My first teacher has made an insane number of guitars, conservatively probably over 800, and it seems every time I drop in on him he’s trying out something new. So, still learning.

I almost feel that once one thinks they’re at the point where they’re no longer learning anything, then it’s probably time to let it go. One of John’s associates, Manuel Bellido, is now retired. Last time I was in Granada his son told me, well, he’s not selling any more of what he does, but he’s still building and trying new stuff. Just goes to show.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 11 2020 21:10:41

johnguitar

Thanks Rob. I think this is the piece of information you are missing. Read the text carefully. https://johnguitar.com/small-rosette-patterns/ Of course it has to be installed with the veneer strip on the outside to contain it and keep it from breaking.

John Ray
https://www.johnguitar.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 13 2020 8:44:21

RobF

RE: Rosette Borders (in reply to johnguitar

Thanks John. It looks like I was on the right track. What you’re showing in your link is pretty well the step that’s missing from my photo, except I’m gluing the veneer stack slices onto the backing veneer and then ripping it into purfling strips, as opposed to gluing sticks. Well, actually two steps, as I first set up the slices on a sacrificial backing, clean up the other side and then glue on the backing veneer onto the cleaned side. The sacrificial backing is removed when cleaning up and thicknessing its side.

Great!

I think I’m going to try something along these lines on one of my upcoming builds, although maybe a little more elongated or dot-dashy. I don’t want it to get too “art-deco”, though. That’s one of the things I like about what you’ve done, it’s subtle.

If I do do it, I’ll contact you and ask for your blessing, as I got the inspiration (and guidance) from you.

Cheers! And good health to you and yours!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 13 2020 13:38:38

Armando

One thing i know for sure. It's an awful lot of work.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 13 2020 14:37:30
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post