Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Fandanguillo del Perchel;José Cabas;   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

flyeogh

Fandanguillo del Perchel;José Cabas; 

Any thoughts or direction or info very welcome.

My wife's great grandfather was José Cabas. My wife still has Cabas in her name.

He composed "Fandanguillo del Perchel" but was also a classical composer working with an orchestra. He was el presidente de Real Conservatoria de Malaga. I have visited the street in Malaga named after him. (It isn't much of a street but I doubt a street will be named after me )).

So I've set myself the task of trying to be able to play something of his Fandanguillo de Perchel. But I have no idea where to start. Any ideas? Any help gratefully received as this would thrill my Spanish family (and buy me lots of browny points ). Cheers

nigel (el raton de Watford - now Puerto de Santa Maria, Cadiz)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 27 2020 13:36:35

flyeogh

RE: Fandanguillo del Perchel;José C... (in reply to flyeogh

Some success. The score is archived in Madrid and I can order a copy. No idea what it will consist of (beyond it is 2 pages) but will be fun to see what I get. It appears to be a free service.

Título Fandanguillo del Perchel [Música notada]
Autor Cabas, José 1879-1942
Editor: Unión Musical Española
Fecha de pub.: [ca. 1957]
Descripción física 2 h. ; 26 cm

It was played at the Carnival in Malaga in 1981.

"Fandanguillos del Perchel" de Jose Cabas Quiles. (1879-1942)

I’ve dug up a load of family history going back to the 19 century that relates to Jose and his father [It turns out his father was the more famous composer and Jose followed in his foot steps]. Should keep me occupied as some of it is written in archaic Spanish and the quality of many times photo-copied has somewhat taken its toll.

Here the nearest type of thing to what I expected:
Fandanguillo del Perchel

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 28 2020 18:48:36

El Burdo

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Dec. 21 2022 21:48:55
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 28 2020 19:35:38

RobJe

You might discover that the Fandanguillo del Perchel composition you are hoping to play is unsuited to the guitar. It could be for piano or orchestra.

Here is one composed for bandurria
http://frontera.library.ucla.edu/recordings/fandanguillo-del-perchel

I would recommend doing some research on fandangos – the following is available in English translation (pdf).
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/322757679_FANDANGOS_FANDANGUILLOS_AND_FANDANGAZOS_FERNANDO_EL_DE_TRIANA_ON_POPULAR_AND_FLAMENCO_MUSIC

El Perchel is a district in Malaga. There are very many fandangos/fandanguillos from the region of Malaga and beyond, often named after people or places.

According to the following José Cabas Galvan (1853-1909) (your wife’s great grandfather?) also composed a piano interpretation entitled “Fandanguillo del Perchel”
https://ca.wikipedia.org/wiki/José_Cabas_Galvan

I note that José Cabas Quiles Fandanguillo del Perchel 1879-1942 survived the Spanish Civil War. Malaga was the scene of bloody massacre soon after the start of the war (there had been atrocities on both sides). A huge proportion of the surviving population exited the city and headed West towards Almeria – they were attacked from the rear, bombed by Spanish, German and Italian planes and shelled from the sea. Before the death of Franco people didn’t talk much about their experiences but since then many survivors have been interviewed.

Good luck with your research.

Rob
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 29 2020 12:31:00

Ricardo

I’m very curious how close it might be to an actual fandango cante. The Recording you linked to is directly based on huelva models. (First heard it as curilla de alcala but it changes a bit).

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 29 2020 14:36:14

flyeogh

El Burdo the first minute would do me. I need to find a singer for the rest as my voice would scare the grandchildren

Robje first tx for the links. Indeed there is a lot to this that hopefully I can uncover. There are of course family tales but as I know from family tree research family chitter chatter is a most unreliable form of getting facts. But my MIL’ father and grandfather certainly were composers and worked with orchestras, and were highly respected - so there should be plenty to find. There is no known history of guitar playing within the family I’ve found so far - but who knows. Just a pity none of the music has survived within the family. But maybe I can correct that.

As for the war my MIL was born 1931 in Sevilla and they went to Melilla (the Spanish enclave in Africa. A sore point between me a Brit and the family ) well before the war.

Ricardo, when I get the score (hopefully that is what it is) I’ll let you know if it closely relates to that link. Apparently, the service from Madrid is not free and may take up to 4 weeks before I get a download. While I wait I’ll see what else I can come up with and carry on practicing my fandangos.

Cheers all.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 1 2020 12:10:02

flyeogh

quote:

and may take up to 4 weeks before I get a download

Well best laid plans of mice and men

The Servicio de Suministro de Documentos, Biblioteca Nacional de España has told us that it will no longer be in action due to the virus. I guess the spanish haven't heard about "stay calm and carry on"

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 19 2020 8:50:26
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post