Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Obsession with speed?   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

flyeogh

Obsession with speed? 

An example: I’m playing Tangos. A Bflat chord (2nd/3rd strings 3rd fret, 5th at first fret) I do the normal idown-Ras-Ras-iup, followed by single notes - 1st fret 6th, hammer on to 3rd fret, open 5th with golpe. Followed with Amajor (2nd/3rd/4th on second fret) iup, ……… (tx Juan Martin )

I use this with base compass in Dminor and Cmajor as my fun piece to thunder along to. No metronome, with a beer or sherry nearby, and just let it rip. Can’t be serious all the time.

However, my prof suggested for a change playing instead of the three single notes just playing the sixth string at the 3rd fret followed by open 5th. Always up for a variation so I gave it a go. But then he says I can go quicker if I anchor my third finger on the 3rd string at fret 3. I point out that this is not great as my Amajor chord doesn’t use the 3rd fret . But he says I should use the flamenco Amajor with the 3rd at the 3rd (he's not a prof for nothing ).

I thought about this and how my online prof offers lots of chord progressions that use anchors quite a lot.

I can see all of these shortcuts (anchors adding additional stability) can assist when looking for pace but surely there is no point in going faster than you can complete the slowest change? The one with no anchor. The slowest left-hand change must surely limit the fastest pace you can play at?

Is there a Flamenco obsession with speed? Or is it necessary to push the land-speed record because that is what Flamenco dancers (as an example) demand?

So should I be continually looking for these anchors and if I don’t will I be 120 beats max for ever ?

nigel (el raton de Watford - now Puerto de Santa Maria, Cadiz)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 10 2019 10:01:34

Ricardo

RE: Obsession with speed? (in reply to flyeogh

It’s not about speed, it’s about allowing a fretted note to ring out continuously along with say an open string note such as high E. The longer the notes are sustaining, the prettier the phrase sounds. The guitar is an instrument that decays very quickly so any opportunity to trick people into hearing it sustain like a piano foot peddle, the better. Another cool trick is to play the last notes of a concluding scale on two different strings, allowing the minor second dissonance to ring out longer, like a harp or as I said a piano with sustaining peddle. In the end there is an art to fingering falsetas and things to find more interesting ways to give the illusion of sustain.

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 10 2019 14:36:26

flyeogh

RE: Obsession with speed? (in reply to Ricardo

quote:

It’s not about speed, it’s about allowing a fretted note to ring out continuously along with say an open string note such as high E.

Ricardo tx for that. And I can see how that would work, but in this case I think it adds nothing. But that might be me.

Maybe Moises just wanted me to vary it and his comment on speed was more a general thing in passing based on the stability an anchor can give. (My spanish is pretty good but even I can lose a subtlety here and there).

I need to look at more examples as I'm probably being a bit biased as I much prefer the JM version with three notes, the hammer on, and the golpe

nigel (el raton de Watford - now Puerto de Santa Maria, Cadiz)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 10 2019 19:24:50

JasonM

RE: Obsession with speed? (in reply to flyeogh

quote:

The guitar is an instrument that decays very quickly so any opportunity to trick people into hearing it sustain like a piano foot peddle, the better.

There’s a very cool pedal for that:
https://youtu.be/DEvMxy8r7Zk
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 10 2019 23:36:12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll