Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Flamenco guitar Plans? Any advice?   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

amigo

Flamenco guitar Plans? Any advice? 

Hello everyone! A friend of mine constructs acoustic guitars, but he is about to start his first Flamenco guitar for me. Can you suggest me any good plan?? Where could I buy?
Thanks.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 12 2019 22:24:45

tri7/5

RE: Flamenco guitar Plans? Any advice? (in reply to amigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: amigo

Hello everyone! A friend of mine constructs acoustic guitars, but he is about to start his first Flamenco guitar for me. Can you suggest me any good plan?? Where could I buy?
Thanks.

I'm not a luthier but being on this and other forums for a long time it seems like most recommend a basic Santos or Barbero to start with as there are plenty of them.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 12 2019 23:36:50

Tom Blackshear

quote:

Hello everyone! A friend of mine constructs acoustic guitars, but he is about to start his first Flamenco guitar for me.

If your friend is a guitar builder then I would recommend the 2003 Manuel Reyes flamenco guitar plan sold at the Guild of American Luthiers www.luth.org

If your builder understands how to slant the angle of the neck into the box then all of the rest is very clear how to build the plan; even for the top and back brace sizes and shapes and top thickness.

Tom Blackshear Guitar maker
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 13 2019 19:41:36

El Burdo

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Dec. 22 2022 15:42:53
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 13 2019 21:00:52

amigo

Thank you very much guys!

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 14 2019 23:38:00

Echi

Here in this forum the same topic was discussed in the past and other makers suggested to start with a plan of Santos.
You may use the search function to find out the discussion if you like.
The Reyes plan (drawn by Tom) is probably missing some infos about the neck angle and the top doming. Tom clarified here in the forum these critical aspects, so better to take a look if you want to follow that path.
My 2 cents are that the Reyes plan is a useful tool and very and informative one for the flamenco guitar makers as it will be the plan of the Arcangel when/if it will be punished.
If I was you, at my first built I’d go for a traditional Santos flamenco Guitar plan as suggested by Anders elsewhere.
You may check in the website of Gal or tasks a look at the plans sold by David Merrin for a reference.
In truth the so called Santos plan is anyway not clear enough about doming and neck angle as well as many plans in commerce.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 15 2019 9:29:16

Tom Blackshear

RE: Flamenco guitar Plans? Any advice? (in reply to Echi

The major reason I suggested the Reyes plan is that it is the most modern approach to flamenco building, and it has a basic explanation of brace outline and size that Reyes used to improve the tonal qualities and articulation of the right and left hand.

I've built a lot of Santos styles and can say that they are structurally not as sound as the Reyes, with thin tops.

Here is a good intermission riff with Nino de Pura's daughter.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 15 2019 15:42:50

JasonM

I have a steel string guitar builder as my mentor. He has also built a number of classicals during an apprenticeship and is a very fine Luthier. He does amazing work. But if he were to build a flamenco he would get the neck angle/setup wrong.

The Reyes neck angle measurement is printed on the plan, but not drawn in plane. For for the dome it just said that there needs to be one to achieve proper string heights and does not list a specific number.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 15 2019 16:16:16

Echi

I have nothing against the idea to use your Reyes plan.
Btw I also said it’s a good plan.
I for one would suggest Santos instead as it’s the prototype of the flamenco guitar and a good starting point while the 2003 Reyes is a peculiar kind of guitar.
Again, just my 2 cents and no polemic intention.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 15 2019 18:08:00

RobF

RE: Flamenco guitar Plans? Any advice? (in reply to Tom Blackshear

quote:

ORIGINAL: Echi

My 2 cents are that the Reyes plan is a useful tool and very and informative one for the flamenco guitar makers as it will be the plan of the Arcangel when/if it will be (published).

Speaking of the Arcangel plan, which I’m assuming is the one Tom was considering drafting of Richard’s guitar...

Tom, is this still in the works? I’d pick up a copy if one were available, I think there would be quite a bit of interest in it.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 15 2019 19:48:45

Escribano

RE: Flamenco guitar Plans? Any advice? (in reply to Echi

quote:

If I was you, at my first built I’d go for a traditional Santos flamenco Guitar plan as suggested by Anders elsewhere.

I did and it was ok apart from the heel being too narrow for the stresses and the tapa cracking on a hot day Got through most of it, but it lies unfinished.

Foro Flamenco founder and Admin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 15 2019 20:10:30

Tom Blackshear

RE: Flamenco guitar Plans? Any advice? (in reply to RobF

quote:

Tom, is this still in the works? I’d pick up a copy if one were available, I think there would be quite a bit of interest in it.

I presented the drawing to Tim Olsen at www.luth.org and He has yet to publish it. You guys can e-mail him to see when it might be published.

I just called Tim and he said the plan would be published in the December issue of the Guild of American Luthiers magazine. This probably means that the actual drawn plan would be available soon after that.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 15 2019 21:13:15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote