Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

opinion needed on pick up system installed   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

tk

opinion needed on pick up system ins... 

I am not a professional player, I do not play in front of audience nor at different occasions. So I don't know what flamenco players look for when it comes to buying flamenco guitars.

Would a pick up system in a fairly valuable flamenco guitar (valued from $5,000 and up) is considered a good thing or would keep buyers away from a guitar?

TK

TK
http://www.youtube.com/user/Tsolakk
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 8 2019 0:19:25

rombsix

RE: opinion needed on pick up system... (in reply to tk

quote:

Would a pick up system in a fairly valuable flamenco guitar (valued from $5,000 and up) is considered a good thing or would keep buyers away from a guitar?

Purists won't be thrilled...

Ramzi

http://www.youtube.com/rombsix
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 8 2019 5:12:42

Ricardo

If it is done well with balanced results, a pro player with lots of gigs might find it very convenient to use such an instrument instead of the usuals Cordoba etc with too thin neck, high bridges, bad response etc (no offense, I suffer with one). But it will be a tough sell. I don’t ever plan on selling my Conde A26 which I have installed fishman pro blend, for this very reason. But I love having it, wow!

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 8 2019 5:38:14

JasonM

Are you thinking about installing a mic/piezo blend with the preamp or just something in general?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 8 2019 15:41:57

tk

RE: opinion needed on pick up system... (in reply to JasonM

Thanks for the responses.

The system in question consists of an under-the-top contact condenser mike strip, combined with the condenser (!) undersaddle strip, by a Finnish company called B-band. i am told it generates a great quality of sound but I have absolutely no experience in that field.

TK

TK
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 8 2019 16:29:08

mrstwinkle

If not playing in public why do it? In my very subjective opinion they make great guitars sound like ducks quacking.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 9 2019 20:11:02

tk

RE: opinion needed on pick up system... (in reply to mrstwinkle

well the guitar comes like that. It is not my choice. It is an amazing sounding flamenco guitar. it's just that it has the pick up system in it. I am thinking should I remove it or leave it like that (for the future sale if any)

TK
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 9 2019 23:52:19

kitarist

quote:

ORIGINAL: tk

well the guitar comes like that.

Ah! You should have lead with that! I think everyone assumed (me included) that you were inquiring whether to install a pickup system (rather than remove an existing one) into a perfectly good flamenco guitar :-)

Konstantin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 9 2019 23:57:30

tk

RE: opinion needed on pick up system... (in reply to kitarist

sorry if it came off that way. no, the guitar comes like that. the questions is whether i should remove it or not for future sale.

Again, sorry for the misunderstanding

TK

TK
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 10 2019 0:09:18

rombsix

quote:

sorry if it came off that way. no, the guitar comes like that. the questions is whether i should remove it or not for future sale.

I think if you remove it, it will further DROP the value. Just leave it...

Ramzi

http://www.youtube.com/rombsix
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 10 2019 4:46:40

Ricardo

quote:

ORIGINAL: tk

well the guitar comes like that. It is not my choice. It is an amazing sounding flamenco guitar. it's just that it has the pick up system in it. I am thinking should I remove it or leave it like that (for the future sale if any)

Seems like you are actually asking if a nice quality flamenco guitar is worth market value with a pick up installed? It sort of depends on the work that was done. How do you connect to the pick up? Does it have a jack? Does it have a pre amp? In either case, the wood on the sides had to be cut so, it’s not possible to restore the guitar without significant work done (a Luthier must cut a piece of wood exactly the same type, shape and color to fix the hole, then refinish the entire guitar unless it is French polish). So the value is necessarily reduced, same as any cracked or damaged guitar. As I said a pro that wanted the pick up in a nice guitar (vs the low end junk that normally comes with it) might try to cut a deal by PRETENDING they didn’t need the pickup, so basically paying less than it might be worth. The seller might be hard pressed to argue about it. (Ive been asked to sell my conde with pick up, I am like ok, $5250, normal price PLUS the pick up price LOL! Cuz I don’t really want to sell it anyway.)

However if the pick up inside requires you to reach in the sound hole and pull out a jack to plug in (ie the pick system is totally invisible) I think it should not affect the value of the instrument and should be sold as market value.

In the case of collector guitars, of course the more “as original” condition the guitar is in, the higher price the instrument can command.

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 10 2019 16:04:16

tk

RE: opinion needed on pick up system... (in reply to Ricardo

quote:

Seems like you are actually asking if a nice quality flamenco guitar is worth market value with a pick up installed? It sort of depends on the work that was done. How do you connect to the pick up? Does it have a jack? Does it have a pre amp? In either case, the wood on the sides had to be cut so, it’s not possible to restore the guitar without significant work done (a Luthier must cut a piece of wood exactly the same type, shape and color to fix the hole, then refinish the entire guitar unless it is French polish). So the value is necessarily reduced, same as any cracked or damaged guitar. As I said a pro that wanted the pick up in a nice guitar (vs the low end junk that normally comes with it) might try to cut a deal by PRETENDING they didn’t need the pickup, so basically paying less than it might be worth. The seller might be hard pressed to argue about it. (Ive been asked to sell my conde with pick up, I am like ok, $5250, normal price PLUS the pick up price LOL! Cuz I don’t really want to sell it anyway.)

However if the pick up inside requires you to reach in the sound hole and pull out a jack to plug in (ie the pick system is totally invisible) I think it should not affect the value of the instrument and should be sold as market value.

In the case of collector guitars, of course the more “as original” condition the guitar is in, the higher price the instrument can command.

ok thanks.

TK
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 10 2019 16:47:47
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message