Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

John Coltrane “Blue World”   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

RobF

John Coltrane “Blue World” 

Unlike many posthumous releases, this isn’t a selection of out-takes and jams but was originally recorded for use in a 1964 Quebec film’s soundtrack. About ten minutes of this were in the final soundtrack, while the remainder was stored and then forgotten in the Canadian National Film Board archives, only to be rediscovered this summer.

https://www.cbc.ca/music/the-only-known-soundtrack-by-john-coltrane-was-for-a-quebec-film-and-now-you-can-listen-to-it-1.5249690?fbclid=IwAR1WNUGT8lgN1RX-iZ7GKXC6YJfhzdO1VKi0kGYra0tebiMTaPQUEcmSbz0

The full album was released on Sept. 27.

Enjoy.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 30 2019 14:57:16

Ricardo

RE: John Coltrane “Blue World” (in reply to RobF

Cool thanks!

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 30 2019 18:51:43

estebanana

I tried to order it, but the amount of bulkshit you have to deal with to sign into iTunes if you are registered in a foreign country is like farting through a sand dune. As a long time Coltrane study I’ve been looking forward since they announced in July. The stuff on this album is a lot like the material on the studio album Crescent. Which is his best record to that point.

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 1 2019 11:21:01

El Burdo

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Dec. 22 2022 15:44:18
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 1 2019 12:45:48

estebanana

Crescent recorded in April 64
Blue World August 64
Love Supreme January 64

So really he was busy and to expect a shift away from the lead into Crescent and the development of Love Supreme is kind of harsh. Crescent recorded Spring 64 then the seeds of LS develop over the summer and fall to recorded 9 months later-

Sounds like he was anything but tiresome.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 1 2019 17:07:02

El Burdo

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Dec. 22 2022 15:43:49
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 1 2019 18:58:28

estebanana

Coltrane’s legacy is more sacrosanct to Americans. Finding lost studio material is like a librarian uncovering a book of speech note of MLK. To be blunt, staying it ‘for completists’ isn’t very helpful. It’s also for scholars, students and general public. Getting anything unheard from one of my countries great masters is a special gift. This is the artist who responded to The Alabama bombing they killed innocent girls. He was a spiritual part of the civil rights movement and through the actions of making music demonstrated Dr. Kings call for peaceful awareness and resistance.

He had a job to make film score and he sandwiches it between two major jazz albums of all time because musicians need to make money. But rather than see through the lens of more of same, I’d see it as a summer summation of how he made the new material for Love Supreme after the inner journeys and nuanced travel of the lines in Crescent.

I digress, but for Americans this is our cultural patrimony and I’d be very happy to find anything this guy played.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 2 2019 1:11:27
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote