Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: Did Gerundino really make his guitars from Mid 90's up until his passing?   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Ricardo

RE: Did Gerundino really make his gu... (in reply to Richard Jernigan

quote:

I have no idea why the guitar was so bad for the first few years, nor why it was so good later in its life.

I am starting to realize that is purely a humidity issue. When guitars dry out, they sound a lot more lively than when they are holding too much moisture. Of course deliberately drying out a guitar, especially too fast, can be very bad for it. It is a delicate balance.

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 27 2019 12:48:01

Echi

RE: Did Gerundino really make his gu... (in reply to Ricardo

Probably we are speaking of different things here.
Moisture level is for sure the main element affecting a well settled guitar (some guitars are more temperamental than others here) - but there is also the different topic of the time of growth of a guitar in her first span of life.
I mean, it’s well known that newly made guitars take a certain time to open up and express their potential.
A well known guitar maker makes both copies of the ‘37 Segovia Hauser and Torres. The Hauser at the beginning plays as alive as a fruit wooden box while the Torres copy is almost ready and the luthier always has to tell his customers the first model takes at least one year of good playing to develop. Same thing happened to me with a new commissioned Manuel Caceres... it was so dull at the beginning.
This time depends from many factors, one being the woods used (usually spruce takes more than cedar to give it’s best), the thickness of the plates (a thicker tops requiring more time) the thickness of the main struts, the bracing pattern, the varnish etc.
A very old and played spruce top, is just different membrane than a new one: the wood got lighter and his stuff inside christalized efficiently.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 28 2019 8:13:17

yourwhathurts69

I'm a bit late to the party, but just to add a little info from my own personal experience, I've noticed a change in the details of some late 90's guitars. I have experience with a 98 Gerundino, and it's definitely among the best, if not the best, sounding guitars I've played, but the guitar details look really rough, kind of like he ran out of sandpaper and really only cared about how it sounded, not how it looked. However, I've also seen a few 98 Gerundinos that were more refined and with slightly different details in things like the headstock, heel, finish, etc.... They reminded me of the factory guitars you see coming out of Valencia. I have no idea who did what with the guitars, but I can certainly say there must have been at least two different people involved with the construction. I would also say that it's worth trying a late 90's Gerundino if you have access to one because it might be a really, really great guitar, regardless of who made it.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 29 2020 17:44:29

CA_Sevilla01

RE: Did Gerundino really make his gu... (in reply to yourwhathurts69

Thanks for Posting....and you are never late for any party!!!!!

I did want share.... if i have not already. I had a guitar teacher in college you played a 2005 Gerundino and he absolutely loved it!!! He made an album and recorded several songs with it. He said it was great sounding and really did believe it was made by the real Gerundino not until I told him that he passed away in 2006 and in 1995 he was very ill and in no way could he have built his guitar. He ended up selling it but still loved the sound of it. A good guitar is a good guitar regardless of who made it but if you are buying one in hopes to re sell it, its good to know the facts on it.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 29 2020 21:48:44

Richard Jernigan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricardo
I am starting to realize that is purely a humidity issue. When guitars dry out, they sound a lot more lively than when they are holding too much moisture. Of course deliberately drying out a guitar, especially too fast, can be very bad for it. It is a delicate balance.

The humidity indoors varies considerably in most houses here in Austin, Texas. In the summertime it tends to get pretty humid, in the winter pretty dry, as low as 30% relative humidity.

In the mid-1970s my '67 Ramirez 1a blanca responded quite audibly to changes in humidity. Now, fifty years later, it seems to be pretty much the same no matter the humidity in the house.

While I lived in the Marshall Islands, in an apartment building with a very bad air conditioning system (designed by the U.S. Corps of Engineers) it was hard to keep the relative humidity down to 60%. Outdoors it was 90% day in, day out. The central air conditioning system had no "re-heats" to remove humidity.

When I moved back to Texas in 2010 my guitars didn't seem to change much. The youngest one was a '91 spruce/Brazilian Contreras "doble tapa." Next in age was the '82 Arcangel Fernandez blanca.

My guitars, at least, seemed to respond less audibly to changes in humidity as they got older.

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 1 2020 0:08:08
Page:   <<   <   1 [2]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote