Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

[Deleted]   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

[Deleted] 

[Deleted by Admins]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 15 2006 17:57:09

Ricardo

RE: Aaron Green (in reply to Guest

Wow man where have you been? They used to talk about him like everyday over at FT, in fact HE even posted messages either there and/or here. He is so famous his guitar and clearly signed label is on the cover of every pack of La Bella guitar strings. Patrick Dimitri, and others own at least one of his guitars. Do a search here and at FT, you will be surprised!

Ricardo
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 15 2006 19:26:43

nhills

RE: Aaron Green (in reply to Ricardo

http://eflamenco.com/reviews/green/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 15 2006 19:32:28

gshaviv

I'm having a negra built by Aaron. He starting putting the frets on it last week. Can't wait...

Guy
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 15 2006 21:12:59

Patrick

Neal,

As Ricardo said, I own a blanca of Aarons.

Take a look at this thread and you will see a picture of a Green Brazilian negra on the right. Truly a world-world class guitar if you have an extra eight grand lying around!

http://www.foroflamenco.com/tm.asp?m=31452&appid=&p=&mpage=1&key=&tmode=1&smode=1&s=#31983
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 15 2006 21:26:16

[Deleted] (in reply to Guest

[Deleted by Admins]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 15 2006 23:06:27

Rain

RE: Aaron Green (in reply to Patrick

Patrick,

How does the Devoe compare to the Green, at the moment which one do you prefer the most?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 15 2006 23:45:27

nickeyg

The link to Aaron's site is http://aarongreenguitars.com/ . Yea he's in the process of building me a blanca right now with pegs and Im really fired up about it. Went up to Boston and played Juanito Pascaul's new Green Blanca and it was great. Took about 15 minutes to find sweet spot and then I was so intrigued by the sense of balance I got from the guitar. I hung out in his shop and shot the breeze for a couple of hours also. Stand up guy! When I receive it I'll make some audio posts. Not all of his guitars are 8 grand, only the Brazilian negras. The waiting list was good for me because it has given me time to raise the money and it's also a bit shorter than Devoe's, Nick
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 16 2006 0:59:42

[Deleted by Admins]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 16 2006 1:05:51

gshaviv

quote:

seems like a Devoe negra and a Green Blanca is a popular choice!

I'm actually having a madagascar rosewood negra with pegheads built by Aaron.

Guy
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 16 2006 1:13:07

nickeyg

Yea Juanito has a Devoe negra that was really smooth as well. I think they are good choices. If we lived in Spain then maybe we could run over to the Felipe V address and check out a bunch of guitars, but being in the US there are only a couple of stores where you can find good high end Flamenco guitars and I'd rather try my luck with someone who I can personally talk to and who I can trust. Any Conde that someone is selling they always say the same cliches, and I know that not every Conde is not the same. Granted there is a small possibility that a single luthier can produce a lemon, but there is alot more of a chance of a lemon when a Conde goes through so many different hands. Aaron makes twelve a year and Lester 24, Nick
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 16 2006 3:12:22

Patrick

quote:

How does the Devoe compare to the Green, at the moment which one do you prefer the most?

Rain,

I have had about a half a dozen people ask the same question. I will give you the same response I gave them.

I am a bit like Ron M in the fact that I don’t like to “wax poetically” about the virtues of a particular guitar. To me a guitar is tool to accomplish a task. What I ask of a guitar may be the exact opposite of what someone else is after. I am no kid anymore (55) and with a bit of arthritis and old age stiffness setting in, playability is as important as tone. In the process of working with Lester (DeVoe) and Aaron (Green), I made it very apparent of my needs for a low action. What I find is a builders idea of a low action may be a lot different from mine. Being very adamant in what I wanted paid off handsomely.

Trying to compare the two is not reasonable. They are two distinct and very different guitars. First off the DeVoe is a negra and the Green a blanca. The DeVoe is by far the best negra I have played or owned for my needs. What I mean is I have had negra’s that were just as good, just different. The DeVoe has just enough rasp to give it a nice flamenco edge, with superb tonality.

The Green blanca on the other hand is a whole different animal. The Green is a very explosive guitar. Aaron’s description of this guitar when he built it was “ the notes just want to jump out at you”. I have played this guitar in a workshop with fifteen or so other players and blown them out. It has exceptional trebles and mids. It also has a bit of that cool nasally dry sound you hear in good Conde’s. A lot of Conde’s have to be driven pretty hard to get the tone. Because it is such a powerhouse guitar, you can play the Green lightly up by the sound hole and get good volume and unique tonality.

Now the bottom line is this. If I could only have one guitar it would be the DeVoe negra. Not because it is better than the Green, it just fits what and how I play. I don’t accompany dancers. I just play for my enjoyment (or lack thereof), so tonality is more important to me. If on the other hand I were accompanying and needed to cut through, it would be the Green.

So that’s the long and short of it.

Oh by the way, I have my deposit in to DeVoe for a blanca in about three years.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 16 2006 18:50:53

Rain

Tkank you for the reply Patrick. I just placed an order yesterday with Aaron Green for a Negra, and now comes the wait. I am new to flamenco guitar I've been studying for just over a year now. I've been playing classical for twenty years and have more knowledge about classical guitars than flamenco's. Negra and Blancas are different in sound just as spruce top and cedars are so I know that as far tone goes they sound different.
Thank you again for your reply.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 16 2006 21:08:13

Patrick

quote:

I just placed an order yesterday with Aaron Green for a Negra

Outstanding! I haven’t been able to play a Green negra yet. A friend of mine in Hong Kong owns the Green Brazilian negra pictured in a post on another thread. He has raved about it in the past as being the best constructed and finished guitar he has ever seen. He has ranked it also as one of the finest negra’s tone wise he has ever played (and that's a bunch of them).
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 16 2006 21:24:22

Rain

The order I placed is for a Spruce/Brazilian and I'm very happy to hear your friend is happy with his Green. I hace a Simon Marty classical due in 4 weeks, the guitar is built, however the french polish needs to dry.
Your comments on the Green are greatly appreciated, it leaves me with a greater anticipation I hope it is as beautiful as your friends guitar.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 16 2006 21:46:32

ivan

no disrespect to Aaron Green but I have played his guitars several times and do not like their sound at all. I played one of his top flamenco models recently and for the price, I do not think is worth it. I don't think you can even compare it to a lavoe at all. I think the Green flamencos lack power and sound for a concert instrument. This is just my opinion. I love Lavoes and will just stick to my Condes and Nowack.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 16 2006 23:42:23

Patrick

quote:

I think the Green flamencos lack power and sound for a concert instrument. This is just my opinion. I love Lavoes and will just stick to my Condes and Nowack.

Hmmm. Lack power? Mine is so loud it will peal the paint off the wall. As for tone, that's always up to the individual. I can point you to dozens of post that say the same about Conde's. Yours is the first in regards to Green that I have read. Hmmmm. Makes you wonder doesn’t it?

As for Lavoes? I have heard of DeVoe (in fact I own one), but not Lavoes. Is he a French builder?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 17 2006 0:12:04

ivan

sorry patrick I meant DeVoes. I was writing very fast. I played Dennis Koster's model that Green made for him recently. I just didn't like it at all. I got my conde from Mariano Conde himself at Felipe V. I have yet to play a green I like. Maybe I have not come across the right one yet.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 17 2006 1:09:28

nickeyg

Ivan, was it alot cheaper to buy a Conde at Felipe V? At Guitar Salon they want $8500 for a A25. Pretty steep! In regards to the Green, I think its really hard to just pick up someone else's instrument and just start shredding. I've cut my teeth on my little Mexican negra for a long time and when I picked up Juanito's blanca, it was weird at first, but after that I started to love the feel of the Green. Dennis looks like he has big hands and I bet the guitar is set up with him in mind. Anyway I think it will probably take about a month to really get used to it when I get mine. I think Juanito is selling his Devoe for some reason and when he played his show in Boston he only played with the Blanca, Shred forth, Nick
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 18 2006 23:10:29

ivan

Nickey,

I do believe you save by going to mariano conde himself. you eliminate whatever fee a middleman might charge. I recommend you go if are ever in Madrid.

Ivan
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 20 2006 13:51:13

[Deleted by Admins]

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 20 2006 16:09:15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread