Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Dire le chant   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

edguerin

Dire le chant 

Has anybody read "Dire le chant" by Caterina Pasqualino?
Comments?

cheers

Ed

El aficionado solitario
Alemania
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 29 2019 15:59:11

tf10music

RE: Dire le chant (in reply to edguerin

Damn, I didn't even know this existed, but it looks quite good. My French is quite poor, though, so getting through it would be a real headache. Based on the info I could find, it seems like a pretty disciplined and multivalent ethnographic study. The most similar flamenco scholarship I can think of to something like this is the work of Cristina Cruces Roldán.

If you get a hold of a copy, let us know what you think!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 30 2019 5:36:31

edguerin

RE: Dire le chant (in reply to tf10music

My two cents:
Definitely an ethnographic text. Pasqualino's goal was to examine the Gitano society in Andalucia. After a disappointing encounter with the Gitanos of Seville, she decided flamenco might be a vehicle to gain access to the otherwise reticent Gitanos. She focusses on 2 communities in Jerez de la Frontera and describes flamenco-fiestas as ritualized forms for wooing, engagement, marriage, and baptism. She underlines the importance of the Semana Santa. Flamenco is shown to be a central factor in identification processes for the Gitanos.

Although her ethnographic analysis isn't quite free of romanticism, her description of Gitano life in the 80s is fascinating.

Ed

El aficionado solitario
Alemania
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 30 2019 7:51:39

Ricardo

RE: Dire le chant (in reply to edguerin

quote:

ORIGINAL: edguerin

My two cents:
Definitely an ethnographic text. Pasqualino's goal was to examine the Gitano society in Andalucia. After a disappointing encounter with the Gitanos of Seville, she decided flamenco might be a vehicle to gain access to the otherwise reticent Gitanos. She focusses on 2 communities in Jerez de la Frontera and describes flamenco-fiestas as ritualized forms for wooing, engagement, marriage, and baptism. She underlines the importance of the Semana Santa. Flamenco is shown to be a central factor in identification processes for the Gitanos.

Although her ethnographic analysis isn't quite free of romanticism, her description of Gitano life in the 80s is fascinating.

Even amongst small local communities of gypsies, my gitano friends might point the finger to warn me....”Ricardo see those gypsies that hangout over there... those are the bad gypsies stay away from them!”

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 30 2019 15:43:47
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll